Sign in to follow this  
Jonboy

2018 Biggest Needs?

Jonboy   

What are they?

My thoughts as of today...

- Edge

Orakpo and Morgan are getting up there in age and they're both set to be FAs after 2018. Dodd has shown next to nothing.

- ILB

Woodyard is playing lights out, but at 31, we can't realistically expect him to keep it up. Williamson is in a contract year and may be viewed as just a guy by the front office. 

- G

I don't know that it's a huge need, but legit competition for Spain and Kline would be nice. It's definitely possible for us to upgrade this spot.

- CB

Ryan is entrenched at his spot. Adoree will have a starting role next year, but it won't hurt to find someone who can push both Adoree and LeShaun Sims.

Edge rusher is definitely at the top of the list. I've said I think Morgan is the most underappreciated player on the team. He's played pretty well the past few years. And despite him being on the team for what feels like an eternity, he's still only 28. I would definitely like to extend him. We'll need someone else opposite him.

G is a need unless they think Levin has starter potential. I hope we extend Spain. Not sure we keep both Spain and Kline. I'll say we keep one and look to draft a guy to fill the other spot. I can see it being a round 2/3 pick for us.

We also need depth at CB, DL, WR, etc

I don't think we draft ILB. I think Williamson gets extended. Woodyard's contract is very reasonable. Is his age a concern? A little bit, but I see Jayon is the guy waiting in the wings to take his spot. 

Edited by socaltitan

Soxcat   

We really need another S to match Byard.  I think we will keep Kline and Spain if they aren't ridiculously expensive and it takes a need off the table.  Kline has played real well this year.

As for CB and Edge, you always need those guys but that doesn't mean we will use and early pick if the value isn't there.  Another guy like Casey would help more than anything.  Bottom line is JRob needs to just keep finding guys like Byard in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and we will be in good shape.  Doesn't matter what position.  Just get good players. 

We might keep Williamson but for a cheap price.  He is really more of a 2 down 4-3 MLB IMO.  Remember, Williamson and Brown were both 5th round picks.

We can draft another LB in the 4-6th rounds and let Williamson go.  If he is cheap he is worth keeping.

Might be nice to get more than a JAG at NT as well.  

chef   

Edge rusher and it's not really close.  Sure, you look to fill in the gaps here and there, maybe continue to get lucky with late round success/UDFA at ILB, CB, OL.  But Orakpo and Morgan (and even Walden) are all long in the tooth.  You almost have to assume an injury hits one of them sooner rather than later this year or next.  If there's another Walden type out there who you can pickup for not too much to provide something resembling pressure in your depth, awesome.  But really need to plan around improving that position next draft, just hope an valid worthwhile opportunity is waiting for us.

And I concur with @Soxcat as I have mentioned here and there - a solid NT would do wonders for this D.  Help Casey a ton too.

Other thoughts?  A respectable 3rd change of pace back late in draft or FA.  See if draft offers up valid developmental backup QB?

I'd look at a Dion Lewis or Shane Vereen as a 3rd RB. I think ideally they like having two big backs. The change of pace back being more the 3rd RB.

A late round developmental QB could be an option, but I'm not a fan of that route if you only intend on keeping 2 QB. I like having a veteran in there. Maybe you can sneak that guy on the PS, but that's a risk.

Edited by socaltitan

OLB the biggest need, Bradley Chubb would be a perfect fit for this defense, shame he will be long gone by the time we pick.

also think we need some further help on the interior DL, got to get more push opposite Casey.

a young thumping ILB would be great as well.

if the interior OL don't improve I can see JRob spending some dollars in FA to get a big mauling G.

don't think Murray returns next year, so another RB needs to be brought in to work in tandem with Henry.

finally some additional CB depth, surprised this isn't higher up the need list.

Soxcat   

Our OGs are fine if we keep both of them.  We might need some better depth however.

If we had another inside guy like Casey our outside guys would look better.  Inside pressure actually messes up the QB more than anything.  

We also have a promising guy in Wallace who can rush from the outside.  Too bad he was injured this year.  

I wish we could get more out of Dodd and Johnson.  Can't hit them all but those two were to fit two needs we still have going forward.  

What we actually need at LB is a younger version of Woodyard considering the way he is playing.  The good thing is LBs like Woodyard can play well into their 30s.

OILERMAN   

Def need a ILB to replace Woodyard in the next 2 years and I'll take anyone on the defensive front who can disrupt whether it's an OLB or DT

Tomachek   

We need more disruptive lineman.  Quarterbacks to easily are stepping up in the pocket without any pressure.  Maybe not our most dire need but definitely needs an upgrade.

Soxcat   

OLBs and ILBs can actually play into their 30s so I don't think we are as old with Orakpo, Morgan and Woodyard as people make it out to be.  Also, those positions can usually be replaced fairly quickly (guys at those positions can play in year 1).

IMO JRob is always going to go after value with need lagging in immediate importance.  The pedestrian strategy is to say we need an edge rusher so get one in the 1st round.  But every draft is different.  Depth in the draft and team needs shuffle things up.  Also, I don't want to draft some dud just because he plays "Edge".  Last draft was actually pretty deep for DE and OLB.  Might not be the case this time around.  Would be great to get a Derek Barnett or Jonathan Allen next year.  But I'll take a S if he is the best guy on the board.   

Number9   

They used to say you could build a championship team with four players.  A QB* A LT* An Edge Rusher and a CB Shutdown.  The way I see it, we have two needs that we can afford an edge rusher and a shutdown corner.  We are on the precipice of being one of those teams other fans say "how did they get Byard, Taylor, Henry, Smith, Brown, Williamson, Sims"  That's why they are so good.  It's not just their QB, CB, R, WR and LT.  We have a team right now that can get to the playoffs, add a shutdown CB and an elite rusher, it's on.

I think Adoree's going to be real good, but he's going to be filling several roles.  I was reluctant to add we already have the WR because Davis hasn't played much, but I don't see any reason not to think he's going to be good.

Edited by Number9

tgo   
On 11/13/2017 at 3:53 AM, OILERMAN said:

Def need a ILB to replace Woodyard in the next 2 years and I'll take anyone on the defensive front who can disrupt whether it's an OLB or DT

I think ILB is the biggest need by far. Followed by edge rusher.