Todd Gurley for David Johnson

NashvilleNinja

This is a standard PPR, redraft league. Someone has offered me Todd Gurley for David Johnson. TBH, I'm not exactly hurting for RBs. In addition to Johnson I also have Kareem Hunt, Kamara, Chris Thompson, Aaron Jones, and Jay Ajayi. And the guy who is offering me the trade is 1-8 on the season, so I don't know why the fuck he's even active at this point. The only thing I can think of is that he has another team in the league with a better record and is setting up to trade himself David Johnson if/when Johnson comes back from injury.

The only reason I'm considering this deal, other than the fact that I'd be getting Gurley, is that Bruce Arians may decide, especially with Adrian Peterson playing well, that it would be pointless to bring Johnson back to risk further injury in a lost season. But Johnson talking like he wants back in gives me pause.

Am I overthinking things? Do I go ahead and accept the trade?

2 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Thanks for the feedback. Just wanted confirm my own thoughts on it and make sure I wasn't missing anything re: Johnson before I accepted the trade, which I did Saturday.

Probably tanking and would rather you win than some other person in the league. If this is my league this trade gets vetoed in a hot second. 

19 hours ago, Bink said:

Probably tanking and would rather you win than some other person in the league. If this is my league this trade gets vetoed in a hot second. 

It's a redraft league, the only reason would be because he'd rather have someone else win and not necessarily for tanking reasons.

There is 0% chance this ridiculous of a trade would ever fly in any league I have ever been in.

3 hours ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

If DJ had a confirmed return game I could see this as a fair trade. Problem is no one knows when/if he will return to action.

Not even, if you knew Rodgers was coming back the final week or two of fantasy playoffs would you trade Russell Wilson for him?

1 hour ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Not even, if you knew Rodgers was coming back the final week or two of fantasy playoffs would you trade Russell Wilson for him?

Obviously the return game would have to be sooner than 5 weeks to make it a fair trade. But if I locked up the #1 seed and I knew Rodgers was going to be back 100% I would do it...If DJ had a set return date of say thanksgiving week which was originally rumored I wouldnt say thats a bad trade.

7 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

It's a redraft league, the only reason would be because he'd rather have someone else win and not necessarily for tanking reasons.

There is 0% chance this ridiculous of a trade would ever fly in any league I have ever been in.

It's a redraft and it's an ESPN league. So, unless you never play in ESPN leagues then you are probably fos on that deal. These kinds of trades happen all the time in those leagues. It's a free-for-all.

It's not like I was having a huge conundrum and pulling my hair out about it. I nearly tapped "accept" as soon as I saw the trade in my notification area. Like I said I posted about it to confirm there wasn't some bit of info about David Johnson (such as potential impending return) lurking out there I may have missed. If Johnson was set to play again soon (as in time for the fantasy playoffs) he would be an immediate top 3 must start that I sure as shit wouldn't have traded for Todd Gurley, even though Gurley has been putting up good #s. It's not like he injured his knees, hamstrings, feet, ankles, or anything else foundational below the waist. He hurt his wrist. If he can carry the football he's fantasy gold.

So yeah, due diligence and all that...

Archived