Kevin Byard may be a top 5 S

kyle021

3 hours ago, Face said:

I've been meaning to focus in on Cyprien more to see how exactly they're using him. From what I've read the main problem he had in Jax was that the SS had to play a lot of man on the TE & slot WR. Cyprien is a big, strong, explosive safety, he's 6'0 217. But he doesn't have the hips & fluidity to play man, and he was scorched. He's at his best playing zone on passing downs, as he's very fast he can get to passes & break them up. 

So I actually think he may be best in the box stuffing the run on early downs & as a deep safety on passing downs, using his speed to range from sideline to sideline. 

I remember Robinson saying the main reason they signed him was because of how good he is at covering TEs in man coverage. 

I actually thought the consensus was that he was a poor fit in Jacksonville’s zone scheme last year and they had him playing single high too much at times, when his best attributes were covering TEs one on one and playing in the box against the run. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bet if you went back and looked at Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu's INT's, you would be surprised how many of them were tipped passes or against inferior teams.

Check out @brettkern6’s Tweet:  

Lmfao it is hilarious how consistently wrong about everything Jake is.

Posted Images

6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

It looked to me like Cyprien mostly played single high with Byard more in the box and Byard didn't cover Doyle much if at all. 

It seemed like they played a little more zone this game maybe that's why Doyle was uncover a lot.

On 11/28/2017 at 0:48 PM, JakePA_Titan said:

I forgot, when a players stats arent good, you go right to the "its not all about stats".

Yet, yall wonder why players who have inferior stats get no national love.

Anyone who thinks Byards play over the past two games have been top 5 worthy, you're fucking morons.

Just like last year with Mariota. "Hes a top 5 QB!!!!".

Where he at now?...In your dumbass heads, Im sure still top 5. Because stats have nothing to do with it...

PFF pretty much uses an aggregate of all stats and they think  he's 3rd best the league. Using stats to descredit Byard is literally worst way to about it. 

Stats are fine, but safeties don't usually rack up PDs. They aren't in that kind of coverage. What have the offenses we've faced done? The answer is that they have done very little in the games in question. Byard is part of that. The Colts couldn't do anything with their WRs. Our defense played a hell of a game. If you want to say the Colts offense isn't that good, that's fine. But the defense still shut them down pretty well. Byard is part of that. Some of our sacks were coverage sacks. 

And we don't WANT Byard making lots of tackles. He's our high safety. If he's making tackles, then we are getting beat. 

On 11/28/2017 at 11:48 AM, JakePA_Titan said:

I forgot, when a players stats arent good, you go right to the "its not all about stats".

Yet, yall wonder why players who have inferior stats get no national love.

Anyone who thinks Byards play over the past two games have been top 5 worthy, you're fucking morons.

Just like last year with Mariota. "Hes a top 5 QB!!!!".

Where he at now?...In your dumbass heads, Im sure still top 5. Because stats have nothing to do with it...

Jfc you are fucking clueless. 

7 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

PFF pretty much uses an aggregate of all stats and they think  he's 3rd best the league. Using stats to descredit Byard is literally worst way to about it. 

The only negative for Byard this year is missed tackles, he's missed a couple big open field tackles, the one on the AJ Green 75 yarder being the one that really sticks out. PFF basically said that was what was holding him out of the top spot.

But hey, tackling is huge. It's not the exciting stuff like picks or forced fumbles, but the AJG play is a perfect example of how important it is. Bill Walsh listed what he felt was the 5 most important spots after QB & he had safety 3rd, mainly because of the importance of them making tackles. He said the average fan has no idea how huge some seemingly ho hum tackles are. He said top safeties prevent a lot of big runs, and are often the difference in a completed pass being 12 yards or a long score.

Id still take a stud man corner over a star safety all day everyday though.