lack of DLine depth has become a real issue

AussieTitanFan08

as great as last nights win against the Colts was, the glaring lack of depth on the DLine was really evident last night.

against a pretty terrible make shift Colts OL, we really struggled to get any pressure on Brissett until DLB started sending the house on virtually every snap, this isn't going to be a viable strategy against better OL/QB's, they will absolutely destroy our man coverage if we have to continue to send everyone just to get some pressure on the QB.

in the first half our interior DL was getting blown off the ball and there were gaping holes in our run defense as Williamson/Woodyard got lost in traffic, as Casey/Johnson/Jones were getting manhandled off the snap.

the fact the coaching staff clearly don't have any confidence in Williams/Dodd is a huge issue.

DL has quickly become the number 1 issue JRob needs to address this offseason, i'm not sure there is anything that can be done to help before the trade deadline in a couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

in the first half our interior DL was getting blown off the ball and there were gaping holes in our run defense

I almost think this has to be a scheme issue. The Colts always dominate the line of scrimmages against the Titans no matter how bad they are on both lines. There are just gaping holes in the run defense. Obviously they could always use more talent but I get the sense this is more of a case of the Colts exploiting something schematically 

1 hour ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

as great as last nights win against the Colts was, the glaring lack of depth on the DLine was really evident last night.

against a pretty terrible make shift Colts OL, we really struggled to get any pressure on Brissett until DLB started sending the house on virtually every snap, this isn't going to be a viable strategy against better OL/QB's, they will absolutely destroy our man coverage if we have to continue to send everyone just to get some pressure on the QB.

in the first half our interior DL was getting blown off the ball and there were gaping holes in our run defense as Williamson/Woodyard got lost in traffic, as Casey/Johnson/Jones were getting manhandled off the snap.

the fact the coaching staff clearly don't have any confidence in Williams/Dodd is a huge issue.

DL has quickly become the number 1 issue JRob needs to address this offseason, i'm not sure there is anything that can be done to help before the trade deadline in a couple of weeks.

I don't recall a single "play" from the DLINE tonight. We have a group of above average players, but no one elite who can make a play when we need one. 

39 minutes ago, Supdawg said:

I don't recall a single "play" from the DLINE tonight. We have a group of above average players, but no one elite who can make a play when we need one. 

Casey had a nice rush late in the 4th but other than that, I agree.

I thought Casey was awesome most of the night, but he was the only one creating pressure. Even when he was splitting double-teams, Brisset could easily side-step him because everyone else was being stonewalled.

Jonathan Allen would have helped this defense immensely.

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I almost think this has to be a scheme issue. The Colts always dominate the line of scrimmages against the Titans no matter how bad they are on both lines. There are just gaping holes in the run defense. Obviously they could always use more talent but I get the sense this is more of a case of the Colts exploiting something schematically 

This is a good observation.  Has to be scheme.  

10 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I think its because the Colts are quciker off the ball

Maybe their speed hurts the Titans size and power along the OL, that would make sense. 

There is something weird going on with the Colts at the LOS, and its not just on defense. In their 2nd game last year, after our OL had just totally dominated for basically the entire season, the Colts just come out & maul us. Somehow Erik Walden was taking turns eating Lewan & Conklin's lunch last year, Marcus got sacked 5 times. It was nuts, we literally shut down some of the best defenses in the league & then the Colts manhandle us.

If there is one thing I miss about Fisher, it's that we always had a solid DL. We rarely had teams running down our throats. We got pressure only rushing 4. It was always a focal point for him and it's been a weakness for us ever since.

Casey is easily our best defensive player and our scheme doesn't seem to play into his strengths at all.

Just now, terradawg said:

If there is one thing I miss about Fisher, it's that we always had a solid DL. We rarely had teams running down our throats. We got pressure only rushing 4. It was always a focal point for him and it's been a weakness for us ever since.

Casey is easily our best defensive player and our scheme doesn't seem to play into his strengths at all.

Well we played a wide 9 technique which means they played with their ears pinned back way outside the OT. Different scheme. And Washburn was the best Dline coach in the NFL, nothing to really do with Fisher.

Archived