Am I overrating this fantasy team?

abenjami

12 team league.  0.5 PPR.  Flex is only WR/TE.  No kickers, we do one IDP.  Ignore the IDP if you want, mine is good I know that.  During the draft I didn't like how the QB's were falling so I decided to take Luck late and stream the first couple weeks.  We drafted in early August and most reports at the time said Luck could be ready week 1, but if not he wouldn't be missing many games.  I have lost the first two weeks and i'm 0-2.

I know my WR2 is weak.  I took risks on some guys with big upside and got hit with injuries early.  I feel like Moncrief will be a WR2 when Luck returns.  I took Corey Davis, Gabriel and John Brown as flex options, only needing one of them to pan out and so far they all suck.

Here's my starting lineup...

QB - Whoever I stream (this week probably Cutler)

RB - Zeke

RB - Gurley

WR - OBJ

WR - Moncrief

TE - Jordan Reed

WR - Gabriel

IDP - Ogletree

DST - Seattle

On my bench I have:

Luck (injured)

Mixon

Forte

Corey Davis (injured)

John Brown (injured)

OJ Howard

I still think this team has lots of potential if I can squeeze out a couple wins the next few weeks and get to 2-3.

What do you think?  Am I being a homer?

Edited by abenjami

8 hours ago, abenjami said:

I feel like Moncrief will be a WR2 when Luck returns. 

I do not understand the high interest Moncrief gets in many fantasy football circles.

He seems bench/depth/maybe flex quality to me. I do not see what he has really done in the NFL to  warrant the high praise many place on him  (his best year was 64 receptions for 733 yards and 6 TDs and in that season, 3 games almost accounted for half of that making him very inconsistent from game to game.)  That is above average performance and it warrants him being on someone's roster in most leagues but he seems very commodity-like to me. Some fantasy sites state that he is good for PPR  but I do not understand that. His best year was 64 receptions.  That is only 4 per game and last season he averaged 3.3 per game. With how much teams are passing now, I would think many NFL teams will have 3 receivers get that many receptions. each. 

I do not watch college football, so I do not know:  was he a college star therefore people see sleeper upside in him?

Edited by 9 Nines

58 minutes ago, 9 Nines said:

I do not understand the high interest Moncrief gets in many fantasy football circles.

The interest in Moncrief (at least from my perspective) is that he's a young player with a lot of upside, and he catches passes from a very good QB (when Luck is healthy).

He's a big, strong guy who ran a 4.4 and can jump.  He's not just fast, he's a good red zone target (vs. Ty Hilton who is not).  He wasn't much a part of their offense his rookie year and year two was still adjusting to the pro game.  At the end of year two he started coming on and Luck was clearly looking his way in the red zone a lot.  That's why people were so high on him before last season.  He was going into year three and looked to be ready to break out.

Then last year he got hurt and missed a bunch of games, but he still scored 7 TD's in half a season.  I've watched him play quite a bit, he's a very good receiver.

I never expected him to be a true #1 fantasy WR in the likes of someone like Mike Evans but I did think he had a good shot at being a solid #2 guy who would consistently get 8-10 ppg even when he didn't get in the end zone.

Edited by abenjami

22 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Your WRs do suck. Moncrief Gabriel and Davis are extremely unreliable. I'd be shopping Gurley around for a RB WR.

For a RB WR?  What is that?

Assuming you meant shop Gurley for a WR, I'm not ready to do that because we have to start 2 RB's.  That means I have to start Mixon and he's not getting nearly enough touches to rely upon at this point.  I'm considering shopping Mixon instead.

33 minutes ago, abenjami said:

For a RB WR?  What is that?

Assuming you meant shop Gurley for a WR, I'm not ready to do that because we have to start 2 RB's.  That means I have to start Mixon and he's not getting nearly enough touches to rely upon at this point.  I'm considering shopping Mixon instead.

Shop Gurley for a RB and WR. 2 for 1. Gurley had a brutal schedule coming up he should still produced but sell him high if you can. If you can land a high end RB2 and WR2 for Gurley your team will be better. With your current roster you will have a tough time winning if Gurley Zeke and OBJ don't put up big points. 

3 hours ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Shop Gurley for a RB and WR. 2 for 1. Gurley had a brutal schedule coming up he should still produced but sell him high if you can. If you can land a high end RB2 and WR2 for Gurley your team will be better. With your current roster you will have a tough time winning if Gurley Zeke and OBJ don't put up big points. 

I'm thinking I'd be better off swapping Gurley straight up for a solid WR1.  I don't think he can bring 2 guys who are clear starts every week and the RB2 would have to be pretty high end to justify starting over Mixon.

16 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I'm thinking I'd be better off swapping Gurley straight up for a solid WR1.  I don't think he can bring 2 guys who are clear starts every week and the RB2 would have to be pretty high end to justify starting over Mixon.

Mixon is trash at this point. He shouldnt be touching a fantasy lineup until he gets more work. Really a trade all depends on your league and who is willing to trade. Try to find a buy low RB and a solid WR. Go after someone who has Howard, Mccaffrey, Crowell, or Lamar Miller. Try to get them packaged with a high end WR2/low end WR1. Dez is actually a WR i would try to target. He has a tough schedule but he continues to get targets. Especially in the red zone. Might be able to buy him low.

Edited by CaliTitan3518

17 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Mixon is trash at this point. He shouldnt be touching a fantasy lineup until he gets more work.

Agreed.  However, I think he'll be quite valuable down the stretch after they phase Hill out.

1 hour ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Really a trade all depends on your league and who is willing to trade. Try to find a buy low RB and a solid WR. 

I sent out a league message saying Gurley was on the trade block and I am looking for a solid WR and decent RB2 in return.  Here are the offers I got so far.

Gillislee & Hurns

Gore & Benjamin

1 minute ago, abenjami said:

I sent out a league message saying Gurley was on the trade block and I am looking for a solid WR and decent RB2 in return.  Here are the offers I got so far.

Gillislee & Hurns

Gore & Benjamin

Pass on those. Id throw back ridiculous counters to maybe find middle ground.

8 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Gillislee & Hurns

Gore & Benjamin

Heres a thought. Who has doug martin and who does he have at WR? Martin is still out two weeks so you can probably buy low on him.

8 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Pass on those. Id throw back ridiculous counters to maybe find middle ground.

Just now, CaliTitan3518 said:

Heres a thought. Who has doug martin and who does he have at WR? Martin is still out two weeks so you can probably buy low on him.

Yeah pass on those for sure.  The guy who offered Gillislee and Hurns doesn't have any WR's worth going after.  His best WR is Tate.  He's already stacked at RB himself.

I know the guy who has Martin.  He won't be selling low on him.  He also doesn't have a WR worth trading for except for Antonio Brown and obviously that's not happening.