Mariota's Pocket Awareness Was Superb Week 1

Jonboy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought too often he didn't have a clean pocket to work from. Even if he wasn't pressured a lot he had guys around his feet too much. This comes from a lack of a running game and too many 3rd and lo

I don't know if I'd call it conservative, though it amounts to the same thing.  I thought they were just hard headed.  Mularkey wants to run the ball, and I think that's fundamental to sustaining an o

I know he didn't have a strong finish but I thought Marcus moved incredibly well in the pocket. There are a number of plays that stood out:    He took a shot here and it was a bit

Posted Images

I haven't got to watch the tape yet but at the game there was several plays I noticed him moving well, side-stepping, and stepping up in the pocket. 

I think when he said he worked on his foot work.. pocket movement was part of that as much as setting his feet. 

I already thought he was decent at stepping up and finding throwing lanes in between the trench battles but he did always lack the easiness and fluid escapability  from a crowded pocket of say a Russell Wilson.  He did it in college well so I've been waiting to see it. Hopefully it's all there this season. Last season he worked on fumble control in the pocket and I think he only had 1 all season there (not during a botched handoff) and it  was a blindside hit. 

Btw, 

Even though it worked out and was a beautiful catch,  that corey davis play is one of the reasons I hate robiskie offense and think it's dumb. 

All 4 receivers are running to the same side and area of the field. The safeties only decision is a depth one. If the inside receiver on the left side does a flag route left instead of right... he's 1v1 all day with no safety. If they can out run the nickel back/lb it's just a race to the end zone and no one else on that side of the field. 

I hope im wrong and they plan on doing that later and this was a setup.. or that the slot guy ran the wrong route. 

I think it's delanie vs a lb here but it could be Taywan vs a db and just as easy money. 

1 hour ago, titanruss said:

Btw, 

Even though it worked out and was a beautiful catch,  that corey davis play is one of the reasons I hate robiskie offense and think it's dumb. 

All 4 receivers are running to the same side and area of the field.

LOL, Damn you Robeski, a terrible successful 3rd down conversion!

BTW, what are you even talking about? Davis is lined up on the right side of the formation and the other 3 are all on the left. Davis is literally isolated one on one

3 hours ago, IrishTitansFan said:

I thought Mariota was great bar a couple of plays. His receivers weren't great, had no run game, and the Ol was fucking terrible. Conklin looked like Poutasi and Spain and Jones struggled too

I rewatched the whole game & Conklin was horrible, it's seriously concerning. Kline was actually the pleasant surprise.

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I thought too often he didn't have a clean pocket to work from. Even if he wasn't pressured a lot he had guys around his feet too much. This comes from a lack of a running game and too many 3rd and longs.

To attack the Jags defense the Titans have got to be in 3rd and medium to short way more often.

If only they'd call a pass play on 1st down...

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

BTW, what are you even talking about? Davis is lined up on the right side of the formation and the other 3 are all on the left. Davis is literally isolated one on one

He is saying that even though Davis is the only one on the weak side, every passing route is designed to go to the weak side. Making it so the safety doesn't have to choose between strong/weak side. Even if Davis would have had the corner beat, the safety would have been there to possibly stop him from going to the house. Having one of the strong side recievers run a flag to the strong side would keep the safety in the middle and force them to choose a side before the ball is thrown instead of automatically being on the weak side ready to stop whichever reciever gets the catch. 

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

It's obviously not about the lineup. It's a medium timed developing play and all receivers are within the same 15 yards of each other running towards the weak right sidelines and Gaining depth. Make the S have to work. And use more of the field. theres no crossing or comebacks or rubs or even an outlet. 

Further, it had to be a perfect throw with an outstanding catch to even work. 

If you can count on that every single time then why even have an OC? Just run random routes and shitnwill work out. 

Your attempts at comedy are making you look like a lazy observer. 

Edited by titanruss

14 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

He is saying that even though Davis is the only one on the weak side, every passing route is designed to go to the weak side. Making it so the safety doesn't have to choose between strong/weak side. Even if Davis would have had the corner beat, the safety would have been there to possibly stop him from going to the house. Having one of the strong side recievers run a flag to the strong side would keep the safety in the middle and force them to choose a side before the ball is thrown instead of automatically being on the weak side ready to stop whichever reciever gets the catch. 

Yes, Exactly. And if the safety even sniffs the weak side there, it's a lob and foot race to the end zone on the strong side. 

Edited by titanruss

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I thought too often he didn't have a clean pocket to work from. Even if he wasn't pressured a lot he had guys around his feet too much. This comes from a lack of a running game and too many 3rd and longs.

To attack the Jags defense the Titans have got to be in 3rd and medium to short way more often.

The team has got to stop relying so heavily on bunch formations, even the 11 personnel was typically bunched and it really clutters the LOS.

If you watch that play, you'll notice that there was literally no one open.  The Raiders DB's blanketed the Titans options on that play.  It took a perfect throw and great catch on a low % throw to even work.  Nine times out of ten that play results in an incomplete pass because of how well Oakland covered on the play.

I have no idea if this was just an isolated play or the norm throughout the game, particularly on most of Mariota's incompletions, but if the Titans weren't able to get open against a secondary that was supposed to be suspect then it's a cause for concern, whether it's a schematic or talent issue.  

56 minutes ago, JNew said:

The team has got to stop relying so heavily on bunch formations, even the 11 personnel was typically bunched and it really clutters the LOS.

On the ringer podcast I posted they gave the stat that out of the 11 personnel that league ran 70% of the time, teams ran bunch formations 66% of the time out of it. 

It's not just the Titans doing that, everyone is doing it and I'd venture to guess they have a good reason for it

44 minutes ago, scine09 said:

If you watch that play, you'll notice that there was literally no one open.  The Raiders DB's blanketed the Titans options on that play.  It took a perfect throw and great catch on a low % throw to even work. 

The play was designed for Davis to go up at the high point and come down with it. It was perfectly executed.....

Too bitch because it wasn't a TD is retarded