Titans 1st quarter of the season

OILERMAN

7 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I think it's pretty obvious the Titans are going to have to work their way into the offense with the new weapons. Davis, Taylor and Smith are all rookies and Mariota is now dealing with full control at the line of scrimmage and all of this is going to be a work in progress. Davis and Decker missed all of camp.

I think the key to the season is coming out of the 1st quarter at least 2-2 with two division wins against the Jags and Texans. As long as they can do that they'll be in a very good spot. We'd be giving the Jags a division loss and possibly be putting a death nail to the Texans. I honestly don't see how the Colts can compete.

The Texans have a short week to Cincy Thursday night with a rookie QB then the Pats. It's likely the Texans will be 0-3 heading into their game vs the Titans. They then play KC and @ Seattle in 2 of their next 3. Good game Texans.

If the Titans can get out 2-2 and get the offense clicking and Mariota comfortable with the new pass catchers they'll be right on track.

This.  No reason they can't do it.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's pretty obvious the Titans are going to have to work their way into the offense with the new weapons. Davis, Taylor and Smith are all rookies and Mariota is now dealing with full control a

no asshole...there are often times a bunch of yankee fans and red sox fans

I have no idea what you're talking about.

4 hours ago, cenj said:

JRob has enough wins to buy him some good faith, but I hate when people refuse to be critical of him. He's made some bad picks, and some questionable picks. He was given a franchise QB and a top pick to use to rebuild the roster. It's hard to blow that.

He took a RT who I argued all year was being overrated -- not that he didn't play well, but that his success was enhanced by the scheme and playcalling. I like Conklin, but I think there are a lot of other RTs who would have done similarly well. If he's treated like a pass-blocker and left on an island, he's not making anymore probowls. 

That entire 2nd round looks like a disaster. Two high 2nd rounders in Dodd and AJ were not good picks, no matter how you rationalize it. I'm personally not sold on Henry either; I think he runs way too soft and doesn't benefit from his size. 

I think Adoree was a great pick, but I'm mixed on Corey Davis: he looks great in the limited action we've seen, but a WR at #5 (and a RT top 10) isn't my favorite use of resources. There were so many great defensive pieces available. 

Still, JRob has murdered the 3rd round both years, and found good depth players 4-7. His trades have looked really good. He hasn't blown 1st round picks (so far). He's a good one, but he's not infallible. 

Agree with everything except the Davis part.

He looks legit.

Edited by oldschool

I am a little leery of stamping a W on the Jax game.  First, I despise the Jags.  But they have put together a decent team.  If they rein in Bortles and make him more a game manager, they become very hard to beat.  Those two RBs they have are very capable of moving the chains and Fournette looks like a star is the making.  Ivory is an excellent change of pace and 3rd down back.  They just need for Bortles to not throw the game away.  They will miss Robinson.

The true trouble is the Jax defense.  They have built a powerhouse.  Nobody is saying much yet because they are the Jaguars, but that defense is a notch under the great Ravens and Bucs defenses.  Bouye, Jack, Ramsey, Campbell, Jackson and add Poslusny and Fowler is a lot of talent for any offense to face.  If they quit committing all those penalties, they just are not a team the Titans can just pencil in a road win against.  We already split with them every year, but they have actually gotten better this year.  

Bortles may not be able to save us.  

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

I am a little leery of stamping a W on the Jax game.  First, I despise the Jags.  But they have put together a decent team.  If they rein in Bortles and make him more a game manager, they become very hard to beat.  Those two RBs they have are very capable of moving the chains and Fournette looks like a star is the making.  Ivory is an excellent change of pace and 3rd down back.  They just need for Bortles to not throw the game away.  They will miss Robinson.

The true trouble is the Jax defense.  They have built a powerhouse.  Nobody is saying much yet because they are the Jaguars, but that defense is a notch under the great Ravens and Bucs defenses.  Bouye, Jack, Ramsey, Campbell, Jackson and add Poslusny and Fowler is a lot of talent for any offense to face.  If they quit committing all those penalties, they just are not a team the Titans can just pencil in a road win against.  We already split with them every year, but they have actually gotten better this year.  

I think it's a little much to put them on that pedestal. But they are stacked. Myles Jack apparently looked like a monster as well.

1 minute ago, Face said:

I think it's a little much to put them on that pedestal. But they are stacked. Myles Jack apparently looked like a monster as well.

Probably so, but they have the talent to be an elite D.  There's just not much to attack.  Mariota has to be willing to put balls in tight windows.  Can Davis and Matthews beat Bouye and Ramsey?  We have to get some big plays, imo.  Right now, I'm not sure how.

4 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Probably so, but they have the talent to be an elite D.  There's just not much to attack.  Mariota has to be willing to put balls in tight windows.  Can Davis and Matthews beat Bouye and Ramsey?  We have to get some big plays, imo.  Right now, I'm not sure how.

We did it the first game last year by running Henry all over them.  

Then we abandoned that completely the second game. 

44 minutes ago, titanruss said:

We did it the first game last year by running Henry all over them.  

Then we abandoned that completely the second game. 

Okay.  Now they have Jack looking very good.  It's going to be a good matchup.  I like Henry getting a larger role to see how he does later in games.  Teams are sure to get tired of tackling him.

2 hours ago, Number9 said:

Maybe a little too dramatic?  

Don't get me wrong here.  I already said I despise the Jaguars.  They are arrogant and ignorant as represented by their fans.  You think the Panthers fans were bad, you don't want to see the Jaguars take control of the AFC South.  Their five-toothed backwards ass fans with become your least fav people on the planet.  They are still in hiding from the beatdown they have been taking for years, but they are still down in their holes.

Tom Coughlin was streaky but also built alot of winning football teams.  His return to Jacksonville ain't good for Tennessee.  Not surprised to hear the defense is playing with an attitude, his teams knocked out Brady at his best.

4 hours ago, japan said:

I see Cosell agrees with Oilerman on Ryan.

I listened to Ryan on 104.5 yesterday and he all but said he was the slot CB and that's why he was signed. Talked about the differences etc......

5 hours ago, japan said:

I see Cosell agrees with Oilerman on Ryan.

I actually listened to Cosell on 104.5. Cosell and the radio guys were all surprised Ryan played in the slot with McCain on the outside because he never played inside during preseason. I knew the Titans were not showing their real nickel alignment, I wasn't sure who would be the 3rd CB but was 100% sure Ryan would slide inside.

Sims was a big loss and getting him back is a huge upgrade over McCain outside.