Marcus Can't Pass Right

Jamalisms

7 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Do we have the numbers for how other NFL QBs fare when throwing to either side? 

Mariota is much worse than average throwing right, about average throwing middle, and much better throwing left. 

@NewsToTom seemed to say Cassel was also worse throwing right last season, but he only had 51 attempts. That could suggest an issue endemic to the Titans instead of Mariota.

Overall, this is something to watch for I think. Someone should chart his throws this year. If it remains an issue, it's an issue! It will then matter if the problem is Mariota, or the scheme (because we'll have all new and improved WRs this year).

This is from the article.

Mariota-to-the-right.png

Edited by Titans279

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe it has to do with the bum ass WRs we've been putting out on the right side. 

It's okay to admit Marcus isn't perfect.     You can see from the film that his mechanics sometimes get sloppy when throwing to his right.  Rather than setting up and stepping into the throw

What's this dummy talking about sample size isn't an issue. Does he have a std deviation to give us? No standard error? Confidence interval?   Hate when people toss out sample size when they

Posted Images

Just now, Titans279 said:

Mariota is much worse than average throwing right, about average throwing middle, and much better throwing left.

This is from the article.

Mariota-to-the-right.png

Thank you for that but what I'm asking is if other QBs have the same issue where they are much better throwing to one side or the other? Differences among individual QBs could effectively wash each other out when averaged together.

3 hours ago, scine09 said:

Mariota was a far better QB in 2016 than in 2015. 

It's hard to be a successful QB if you're getting hammered every other play because your head coach refuses to put anyone other than the offensive line in as a blocker.

I'm a bit concerned that there will be less improvement this year because of the injury rehab. 

Just now, Tim said:

I'm a bit concerned that there will be less improvement this year because of the injury rehab. 

It's possible.  At the same time, however, the overall talent on the roster has improved.  So even if Mariota is about the same as he was last year they still should be able to win more because of that.

Anyone who doesn't think Winston  fits this offense better than Mariota is lying.  This offense is tailor made for someone like Winston.  It's that Marcus has to have time to adjust to this.  Last year he was learning, this year hopefully he's better.

28 minutes ago, 8MM said:

Anyone who doesn't think Winston  fits this offense better than Mariota is lying.  This offense is tailor made for someone like Winston.  It's that Marcus has to have time to adjust to this.  Last year he was learning, this year hopefully he's better.

What was wrong with Mariota last year?

4 hours ago, KnoxTitan said:

It took Manning 8 years to win a Super bowl.

Why do we demand that Mariota be a completely finished product less than 30 games into his career?

This is the inevitable backlash to the Mariota hype. 

8 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

for anyone interested Marcus is being interview on Mike&Mike in about an hour

They said Marcus was a better QB than they thought he would be.  But they still would take Jamesis first.  Maybe even D. Watson.  They still think he's too nice.

21 hours ago, Face said:

That's weird, it's a lot harder throwing to the left. I actually think he's still working on cleaning up some throwing mechanic issues.

He talked about that last week, working on getting his feet underneath him before he sets and throws. He's on it.

Mariota still has ways to go, but we should be encouraged by his development. He's a lot farther ahead than most of us thought he would be coming out of the draft.

And as someone who watched Brees and Rivers a lot as young QB, I think Mariota's ahead of them in his development at the same stage.

5 hours ago, Number9 said:

I see Davis as a championship pick, 2018+  The team needs a true stud #1 receiver to win big consistently.  I don't think they felt the offense was there.  It takes offenses longer to develop and it's harder to add a key piece through FA on offense than defense.  Davis hopefully develops into a real threat, the kind of player who demands a lot of attention from defenses.  Right now we just don't have that.  I think Mariota can deliver the ball, but he needs weapons like Oakland's Cooper.  

I'm not the biggest fan of spending a top 5 pick on a WR, but I understood the need. 

Derek Carr is throwing to Amari Cooper. Dak has Dez, Witten. Jameis has Evans, DeSean,etc. Doesn't seem right to see what a lot of the young QB have around them and not do something significant for Marcus.

21 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

Interesting analysis.

Since Mariota is right handed, his passes to the right have to travel about a yard farther as his windup would pivoted his release about that much farther back .  Since he can only accurately pass about 10 yards, that extra yard of travel would explain the difference.