Episode 138 - Preseason Preview and...the Team's for Sale?!

Jonboy

Was glad to hear this - been too long fellas!

And man, when you guys brought up Dodd (he's so easy to forget when mentally dissecting the team and I'm not saying that as an insult towards him....just a lot of roster moves the last two years) - if the secondary holds up, which it is highly improved on paper but there are a lot of new/moving parts there with 2nd year players and such....the defense could actually be scary. Probably the best pass rushing rotation we've had since 2008 and (again, on paper) the best secondary since Finnegan/McCourty/Griffin were all playing well.  

Here's to no injuries and Corey Davis getting healthy ASAP.  If he does, and Jackson proves even serviceable as a CB this season, which I think he will, we could finally have a team folks.  

And as always - good job on the podcast.  Would love you guys to trick PK to coming back on. 

3 hours ago, Mercalius said:

And man, when you guys brought up Dodd (he's so easy to forget when mentally dissecting the team and I'm not saying that as an insult towards him....just a lot of roster moves the last two years) - if the secondary holds up, which it is highly improved on paper but there are a lot of new/moving parts there with 2nd year players and such....the defense could actually be scary.

On paper Robinson did such a good job shoring up the holes on defense... Ryan inside at slot, Brown in the middle of the field, Byard at FS, Cyprien over Stafford, the CB trio over last year's shit.....

If Dodd and Austin can become factors in the pass rush the defense to go with what they already had a long with Walden you have to believe the defense at worst won't be a weakness like last year.

I do think the CB depth is scary if one of the top 3 go down

1 minute ago, Soxcat said:

In reality if McCain is your 4th best CB that isn't so bad. 

I think McCain is solid depth inside for the nickel role, I'm more concerned about the depth outside. We're already relying on a raw rookie(Jackson) in the nickel package outside.

Depth at CB is def a spot where they could add a veteran player through camps and after cuts.

I said awhile back that it would make sense to have Jackson learn both sides so Ryan can move into the nickel and not have any glaring matchup issues. The idea for me started after the LeBeau thread where they discussed the defense being completely interchangeable.

From what I read the other day they're shadowing WRs on defense. It makes a ton of sense when you think about our defensive backs. Simms is the only one who has the stature to play against 6'4 WRs. Why keep him stagnant on the right side (left of QB) while they exploit Jackson or Ryan? I doubt they change in base, but in the nickel I think Jackson will shadow whoever the smaller WR is outside. 

Great podcast guys.

Great job  guys. 

As far as the defense goes, I think next off season we may see a bigger emphasis on the defense. 

The Tajae Sharpe situation is interesting, I wonder how much of him being #1 last year was to motivate the other wrs' work ethic. Didn't work on Kendel but maybe worked on Rishard Matthews.

If we had signed Eric Decker before the draft, do we still draft Corey Davis? 

cheers, Tex