Chip Kelly: Didn't Offer for Mariota bc Titans Weren't Trading

Jonboy

Pretty sure we've heard this before, but thought I would post considering it's the offseason. The decision to take Mariota will likely go down as one of the few triumphs of Webster/Whiz...even if it was a no-brainer.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Call me crazy, but doesn't this seem to contradict bongo's inside information that the Titans had actually traded the pick?

Left out that the team already had Mettenberger

I agree that we were never going to actually trade the pick. It was just posturing and media speculation I totally disagree about Mariota being a "no-brainer" pick. Talk about revisionist history

11 minutes ago, socaltitan said:

I agree that we were never going to actually trade the pick. It was just posturing and media speculation

I totally disagree about Mariota being a "no-brainer" pick. Talk about revisionist history. A lot of people either didn't want to pick him or wanted to trade the pick.

Spread offense, has to play under center, gimmick offense, running qb, prior Titan QB failing  etc were among the many reasons Mariota was a divisive pick to make at the time

True dat

1 hour ago, socaltitan said:

I agree that we were never going to actually trade the pick. It was just posturing and media speculation

I totally disagree about Mariota being a "no-brainer" pick. Talk about revisionist history. A lot of people either didn't want to pick him or wanted to trade the pick.

Spread offense, has to play under center, gimmick offense, running qb, prior Titan QB failing  etc were among the many reasons Mariota was a divisive pick to make at the time

I would say roughly a month before the draft, the majority of media and fans alike were pretty certain the Titans would take Mariota or Winston. They were widely regarded as the 2 best QB prospects we'd seen since Luck/RG III and we haven't had any QB prospects on their level since. 

Sure many of us liked Mett, but even most of us here at TR came to realize the Titans had to take Mariota considering the massive gap in talent. 

1 hour ago, socaltitan said:

Really just Titans fans cuz they're idiots and bc, Mett.  And some other idiot fans.  He was always gonna be the #2 pick and the titans would have been dumb to pass him up.  Coaches, scouts and GMs were way high on the kid.  Don't think it was you but a lot of titans fans let media pundits - Cosell and Brooks cloud their judgement. 

17 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I would say roughly a month before the draft, the majority of media and fans alike were pretty certain the Titans would take Mariota or Winston. They were widely regarded as the 2 best QB prospects we'd seen since Luck/RG III and we haven't had any QB prospects on their level since. 

Sure many of us liked Mett, but even most of us here at TR came to realize the Titans had to take Mariota considering the massive gap in talent. 

I honestly don't think that at the time many Titans fans thought that there was a major gap in talent.  In fact there were several of us, including me,  who preferred Mettenberger to either guy.  But I think most of us certainly understood that if they felt that Mariota was even slightly better that they had to take him.  

However, it became apparent after just one practice with the 2 of them throwing side by side that they made the right move.  And obviously they were able to see the difference during the entire process.

54 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Wasn't there even talk that the staff wasn't planning on taking him at first then fell in love with him through the process?

3 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Wasn't there even talk that the staff wasn't planning on taking him at first then fell in love with him through the process?

I haven't heard that one.  I have never been sure how much Whiz wanted him, at least at first.