Best Defenses in History - Titans Make the List

CreepingDeath

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2714530-nfl-nostalgia-ranking-the-best-defenses-in-nfl-history

Mike Tanier continues his nostalgia articles in the offseason.  The Titans and Jeff Fisher get some love early in the list at 22:

Ladies and gentlemen, Jeff Fisher made one of our all-time great countdowns!

And folks, did he ever earn it. The 2000 Titans defense allowed just two offensive touchdowns in the final six weeks of the year. Jevon Kearse recorded 11.5 of the team's 55 sacks. Samari Rolle added seven interceptions. Strong safety Blaine Bishop was an enforcer against the run and a dangerous pass-rusher in the box.

Fisher and Gregg Williams took Buddy Ryan's "46" defense, tightened up the loose screws and adapted it to a league in which spread formations and quick passing were making blitz-the-house tactics obsolete. The updated scheme provided most of the mayhem of Ryan's old tactics without the mistakes, and Fisher married it to a plodding-but-consistent offense led by Steve McNair and Eddie George. The Titans beat opponents with turnovers, field goals and field position, and it was a good thing.

As fate would have it, Fisher's all-time top-25 defense was stuck in the same division as an all-time top-10 defense. The Titans held the Ravens to just 134 yards of offense and six first downs in the playoffs. But the Ravens scored 14 points on a blocked field goal and a Ray Lewis pick-six, and the Titans endured a 24-10 playoff loss.

The title of this series is "NFL Nostalgia," and nothing brings on the feels quite like harkening back to the days when Fisher was considered a great coach. It wasn't that long ago. And it was legit. This defense nearly shut down the Rams in the Super Bowl in 1999. In 2000, it only met its match when it faced the Ravens.

The Oilers are mentioned as a highlight for the Eagles at number 7:

Along the way, the Eagles struck a death blow to the run 'n' shoot offense. Ryan may have called it the "chuck 'n' duck," but it was Carson's defense that forced six fumbles against the Oilers in the House of Pain Game, including the Warren Moon fumble shown above.

--

For all of the hate Fish gets for the end of his career, he did build a great defense early on.  He paired it with an offense that worked, though I would have preferred more sparks and risks taken.  And fuck the Ravens.

3 hours ago, CreepingDeath said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2714530-nfl-nostalgia-ranking-the-best-defenses-in-nfl-history

Mike Tanier continues his nostalgia articles in the offseason.  The Titans and Jeff Fisher get some love early in the list at 22:

The Oilers are mentioned as a highlight for the Eagles at number 7:

--

For all of the hate Fish gets for the end of his career, he did build a great defense early on.  He paired it with an offense that worked, though I would have preferred more sparks and risks taken.  And fuck the Ravens.

His career is just beginning.

There was an interview with Fisher before a game (can't remember the game or year), but he said he wanted the game to be close going into the 4th quarter. I was like "huh"? I want to be up by 30 points going into the 4th quarter. We had some really good teams, but I never much cared for Jeff. 

We actually finished ahead of the Ravens in most meaningful stats on defense that year. Football Outsiders ranked us better than the Ravens that year. 

We didnt have a ton of stars on D but we had so much quickness up front. Guys like Josh Evans & Jason Fisk caused havoc in the middle. And the secondary was tremendous.

But the beat D in organization history was the '93 Oilers. They were monsters.

9 minutes ago, scine09 said:

I blame Fisher 100% for the 2000 Ravens game.  The game plan was terrible and they played right into the Ravens hands.  

The game plans in that game & the '99 Buffalo game were brutal. But he did learn from those games & opened it up in future postseason games.

3 minutes ago, Face said:

The game plans in that game & the '99 Buffalo game were brutal. But he did learn from those games & opened it up in future postseason games.

Yep.  I felt like the Baltimore game plan in 2008 was his best game plan of any playoff game.  He deserves zero blame for that one.  In that game the Titans were clearly the better team on both sides of the ball and mistakes just killed them.  If they played a 7 game series the Titans would probably have taken it in 5.  It just happened to be that the Ravens capitalized on every Titans mistake and every fluke thing and bounce went the Ravens way.

18 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Yep.  I felt like the Baltimore game plan in 2008 was his best game plan of any playoff game.  He deserves zero blame for that one.  In that game the Titans were clearly the better team on both sides of the ball and mistakes just killed them.  If they played a 7 game series the Titans would probably have taken it in 5.  It just happened to be that the Ravens capitalized on every Titans mistake and every fluke thing and bounce went the Ravens way.

Yup. I think that's why CJ was so good in that game to, because they built the plan around the passing game & didn't try to force the run.

That 2000 Titans defense would make for a great Jeopardy question.  

"The 2000 Baltimore Ravens defense  is widely recognized as one of the most dominant defensive units in NFL history....but they  actually ranked #2 in the league from a statistical standpoint. 

"Which NFL team had the league's #1 ranked defense for the 2000 season?"

13 minutes ago, nine said:

That 2000 Titans defense would make for a great Jeopardy question.  

"The 2000 Baltimore Ravens defense  is widely recognized as one of the most dominant defensive units in NFL history....but they  actually ranked #2 in the league from a statistical standpoint. 

"Which NFL team had the league's #1 ranked defense for the 2000 season?"

I still wish they would've played Bulluck, who was a rookie that year, more towards the end of the season, though our LBers are good.