• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hell no, that'd be awful

If it ain't broke, don't break it.

On the other hand, I don't support any type of lottery because my wife/sister sells all our hard-earned foodstamps and WIC to play it! I tried to punch some sense into her and now she only lets her bo

No

It's kind of tempting. Not a fan of teams tanking to be able to draft their guy (Colts and Luck). 

Then again, imagine the year we sucked and landing Mariota not happening because the lottery said we pick somewhere between 10-20.

Just seems like the perennial powerhouses would benefit greatly and the perennial losers would stay worse for longer.

One thing I would like to take from the NBA is pick protections. Maybe it is allowed in the NFL but no one uses it. It is very useful for trading away a first round pick while making sure that you don't get absolutely screwed in trading it away. I think it would promote trading in the NFL a lot more than currently.

For those that don't know how it works, here is an example:

The Titans trade their 2018 first rounder to the Browns. However, this pick is protected for the top 16 in 2018 and top 10 in 2019 and top 5 in 2020 before becoming unprotected in 2021. This would mean that if we had a the number 13 pick in 2018, then the number 8 pick in 2019, and then the number 1 pick in 2020, we get to keep them all before giving up an unprotected 2021 pick. 

NBA teams can afford this kind of system because the #of players they carry is small and the # of starters they require is small. Their rosters are more portable and easier replenish. Bad teams can become good overnight.

Even in today's NFL it takes at least a couple years for teams to build properly.

Having all non-playoff teams in a lottery is dumb. You don't want a 8-8 team getting the #1 pick.  

But if they took the 4 (or however many) worst teams and put them in a weighted lottery for the #1 pick then fine. Maybe it keeps teams from tanking at the end of the season.

Maybe take every team within 1 or 2 wins of the worst record and let them play the ping pong balls. Or more fittingly, electronic football!

Edited by Starkiller

20 hours ago, scine09 said:

Better yet, how about they make the order where the top non-playoff team picks first and the worst team picks 20th.  Then there would never be any more tanking and you wouldn't have teams like the Jets getting rid of all their players to ensure a high pick next year.

It would also give some consolation to the team that played hard all season (like Tennessee last year) who missed the playoffs based on a tie-breaker.  And week 17 games would mean something for almost every team even if the playoffs were not possible.

The Jets are as blatantly tanking as any team I've ever seen. They're getting Sam Darnold, hell or highwater. 

28 minutes ago, Face said:

The Jets are as blatantly tanking as any team I've ever seen. They're getting Sam Darnold, hell or highwater. 

Teams tank in the NBA too, talent purges are and always will be a thing in every single professional sport