Avery Williamson:Culture Has Changed,Wants More Big Plays

MIKE75

“It is looking good, man,’’ “I am really excited. I feel like the team is definitely taking a step forward. I feel like we have matured as a group, and I feel like we know what we have to do now. We know the system a lot better.

“It is night and day from what it used to be. When I first got here, everybody was more selfish, there was a lot more selfishness on the team. Now I feel like everybody is willing to pay the price to be great.”

“I know the coaches have a lot of faith in me, and seeing that it shows they know I can get the job done and that makes me feel really good,’’ Williamson said. “And the feel around the team, everybody has been good, man. Everybody comes to work ready to go. Everybody has a positive attitude and that is what it takes to have a successful team. You have to have guys who are on the same page and want to put the time in.”

“I want to have more splash plays this year,’’ Williamson said. “I have been working on making sure I solidify the plays, and I am comfortable out there now. So now it is maybe taking chances more, going ahead and doing things, and not being scared to make those big plays. I want to make more game-changing plays.”

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Avery-Williamson-Wants-to-Make-More-“Splash-Plays”-in-2017/d35dd847-c7fe-4dd4-83ca-1a16f4c52ee3

On 6/22/2017 at 2:10 PM, woolfolksunclesuncle said:

Of course he wants to make more big plays....his position is now nearing the top of JRob's "Upgrade" to-do list.

I don't think he's nearly as close to the top of that list as you'd think. The team clearly likes him.

49 minutes ago, Face said:

I don't think he's nearly as close to the top of that list as you'd think. The team clearly likes him.

They like Douglas too and they like Sharpe, but they could both be goners. This isn't Jeff Fisher's regime, I don't see them playing favorites with anyone anymore if they can upgrade the roster, even if they like the player

2 hours ago, Titansgoodluckcharm said:

They were great against the run last year. Tops in the league. You don't get rid of players like that who are also team players imo. Their problem wasn't in run support it was in the passing game.

Brown might fill the nickel backer needs so Williamson and even Woodyard could have another season after this one if he stays healthy. If Brown fills the NB role we might not need an ILB upgrade. Unless there's a guy great in coverage and against the run and who really stands out

They were terrible against the run. Teams just didn't run because passing was so easy. 

10 minutes ago, titanruss said:

They were terrible against the run. Teams just didn't run because passing was so easy. 

And hopefully with the overhaul this year passing won't be so easy. So if the run defense is still anything like last year...we could see a top 10 all around defense.  

Last year we were ranked 17th overall and we faced the 2nd fewest rush attempts and pass attempts we were tied for the most.IMG_2825.thumb.PNG.d06ab9c321d01c8642ca143031cffde3.PNG

IMG_2826.PNG.0ec69938bb8723b2f326c227c46b8346.PNG

1 hour ago, heyitsmeallen said:

And hopefully with the overhaul this year passing won't be so easy. So if the run defense is still anything like last year...we could see a top 10 all around defense.  

Last year we were ranked 17th overall and we faced the 2nd fewest rush attempts and pass attempts we were tied for the most.IMG_2825.thumb.PNG.d06ab9c321d01c8642ca143031cffde3.PNG

Seeing that gives me a little more faith in the run d. 

Like not "terrible" but average. 

DL wasn't afraid to load the box and stop the run but it exposed the pass D big time.

The key is stopping the run while not getting killed against the pass

11 hours ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Patriots and Cowboys both have great run defenses

5 hours ago, IrishTitansFan said:

Patriots and Cowboys both have great run defenses

Is there a better DC than Rod Marinelli? It's unbelievable what he gets out of that defense. Sean Lee is an all pro level LBer but aside from that the front 7 is totally devoid of talent.

Marinelli is one of those rare coaches that gets performance well above the talent level he has to work with.

2 minutes ago, Face said:

Is there a better DC than Rod Marinelli? It's unbelievable what he gets out of that defense. Sean Lee is an all pro level LBer but aside from that the front 7 is totally devoid of talent.

Marinelli is one of those rare coaches that gets performance well above the talent level he has to work with.

Oh absolutely. The D Line in Dallas is devoid of talent but they're insane against the run because of the schemes. The stunts etc are unbelievable at plugging gaps and then, like you said, Lee is smart, quick and gets to the ball carrier easily.

17 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

Oh absolutely. The D Line in Dallas is devoid of talent but they're insane against the run because of the schemes. The stunts etc are unbelievable at plugging gaps and then, like you said, Lee is smart, quick and gets to the ball carrier easily.

Yeah PFF had a good article about their front 7, and how active & aggressive they are with stunts & things.

Also, it really seems like the coaches that run the 1 gap, 4-3, zone type defenses are getting the most results, guys like Marinelli & Schwartz.

Archived