Given Offseason Investment at WR, Does Offense Change More Than Anticipated?

Jonboy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Assuming the rookies pan out the quality is going to be what should improve the most. With Davis outside and Matthews much more comfortable in the offense the base two TE sets are going to be much har

So last offseason after the hiring of Mularkey, there were pretty big debates about if his offensive system was the best for Mariota. This continued throughout the season here on this board, as well a

Let's not make this conversation awkward.

the loss of a true dominating blocking TE was going to alter the offense slightly anyway.

I really hope Mularkey/Robiskie take advantage of the added weapons, and aren't stubborn with their run first mentality.

would love to see more hurry up/no huddle, especially when we have created an exploitable mismatch, don't let the defense substitute.

We'll throw the ball more, but much of the offense will still be rooted in the run game. I don't see it being a fully wide open attack like the Saints either. I don't see us being in shotgun a ton like NE.

Better examples to look at are teams like ARI, PIT, and ATL. Don't forget Mularkey comes from PIT. He, like Arians, are still going to run the ball. I know we want to throw the ball a lot, but it'd be foolish to ignore Murray and Henry. They got to be fed too.

Edited by socaltitan

I think to be really effective, the passing side of this offense will need a run game that is always a threat, whether it's TE oriented passing attack or outside/WR oriented.  It's what makes PA work. 

And with Murray or Henry back there with Marcus, there's zero reason for it not to be.

It would be nice to not be forced to go to the wide-open hurry-up, but that's on the defense. It's just nice to know the tools are there now, should the need arise.

I don't think the scheme will change all that much but I certainly think the playcalling will lean more towards pass plays than last year.

They are still going to be more run heavy than most of the NFL. Teams loaded up to stop the run last year knowing that was the big threat. And the best passing success was routinely on the play action pass.

This year teams will have to play them straight up. They can't load up to stop the run constantly any more. 

they are absolutely drooling over the Titans on @GMFB on the NFL Network just now.

it wasn't really about the Decker acquisition but more all the offensive pieces JRob has added as a collective over the last 18 months.

i'm really interested to see how teams defend us early in the season, will they still sell out and try and stop the run and risk leaving themselves wide open to our new weapons on the outside.

15 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

it wasn't really about the Decker acquisition but more all the offensive pieces JRob has added as a collective over the last 18 months.

Davis, Taylor, Smith, Matthews in year two with Delanie Walker already, even Murray in the passing game. That's really some serious fire power

I think we will see the entire offense this year. I feel malarkey was so run heavy last year because if our weak WR corps. His offense requires precise routes with a lot of crossing patterns. Our guys kept running into eachother last season.

Edited by heyitsmeallen

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Assuming the rookies pan out the quality is going to be what should improve the most. With Davis outside and Matthews much more comfortable in the offense the base two TE sets are going to be much harder to defend. Davis coming out of playaction is such an upgrade to Sharpe as far as play making ability down the field.

It's not about how much more they throw the ball, it's about how much the efficiency goes up. Mariota's passer rating and yards per play are the numbers that should and need to improve if the offense is going to take the next step.

I'd also expect the offense to be much more versatile in terms of attacking defensive weaknesses. If the game plan calls for more spread type stuff they'll likely go that way more often.

I'm thinking we'll see more 3-WR sets too, but I could be wrong.

I think the high-powered passing attack will be the ace up their sleeve.  Obviously, if we're down by a decent margin in a game it will come out.  Outside of that, I think we'll see a very similar offense to last season but, maybe 3-4 drives a game, be it from the beginning of a drive or mid-drive, they suddenly go nearly all-pass/hurry up just to keep the defense honest and maybe steal some easy points.  

This also works well if you really plan on making a solid post-season run, which JRob apparently does.  This offense is so incredibly diverse that you can literally run the offenses of several NFL teams with this roster.  You get an opponent's DC thinking they're facing a Dallas-styled offense and then gameday comes and he finds himself facing a Packers/Saints type of offense.  This equals wins.  Lots of them.