Eric Decker Signs w/ Titans - One Year Deal

Mercalius

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hope none of you were around Tajae when this was announced!

Lol someone on said this.    

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I knew he wanted to be here from the start and was just trying to make the contract work. He would have went on those other viaits right after the Titans visit if he was actually interested. 

Edited by heyitsmeallen

6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Not a lock, more like a "probably"

Davis, Matthews and Taylor are the top 3 on paper. Then they signed Weems to play STs. That's 4 active WRs right there. And if Weems is knocked off the roster then it's because someone beat him out as a STer. That's 4 active players at WR on game day. Then you have Decker, Douglas, Sharpe and McBride for another likely active WR on game day and that's likely going to be weighted heavily towards STs, a huge priority this off season.

Now is Taylor isn't ready or Decker is really good in training camp and cracks the top 3 then yea he makes it.

Decker caught 9 passes and played 3 games last year, he's 30+ and coming off injury, he signed a one year deal or likely a minimum type deal. He's a name, which fans love. Is he still the same guy who cracked 1000 yards two years ago, unlikely.

True, in the sense that's if the FO had to cut all but 3 WRs right now those would be the 3 left.  

And the name thing rings way too true.  Rishard Matthews would have been way more of a name had he been catching passes from Manning or Brady, or maybe playing in the NY market.  Kinda funny how so many here complain about media over focus on star players and big market teams, but then get way excited when we buy a used car - running or not -  that has still has some lingering new car/star power smell.

Still happy we signed him in sense we needed depth/vet experience.  And he was best option on market.  If he pans out, terrific.  If not, no harm done.  And don't start with Rooks not getting snaps.  2 of probable top 4 WRs on the field will be rooks.  And I still think Davis can learn a lot from a bigger WR like Decker in terms of body positioning and the like.  

People always overhype things to extremes. Happened with Sharpe last year. Taylor this year. We set ourselves up for let down.

I'm a fan of the Decker signing. He's no big time all world stud. He's not a savior. But he gives us depth. And if he's healthy, I think he will be a productive player. He's been a quality player in the league. 

8 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

And there is no way Mularkey is making a #3 WR set the base offense

So they should start Supernaw, with only 4 career starts, over a proven veteran like Decker with his 75 career starts?

If they use a 3 WR-set as the base offense, it will force defenses to respect their passing game and spread things out.

Then they will be able to throw more on 1st down and really balance out the offense. Defenses will be less likely to stack up the middle against Murray and Henry with a more dangerous passing game. The offense will be extremely balanced.

Though touched on briefly here, Decker as a blocker in our scheme is an underrated aspect.  And hoping Davis will get up to NFL speed blocking-wise as well very quickly.  With Davis/Matthews/Decker, you're looking at willing (mentally) and able (physically) blockers at 6'0" to 6'3", ~ 210-215.  Huge shift from Sharpe, Douglass, Wright, McBride.  

I don't believe we're shifting to a 3 wide set (with Walker at TE, either RB) all the time or anything, but would not be surprised to see this more often than last year, especially on 1st with plans to run out of it, especially when Ds go nickel/dime.

19 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Once the season rolls around and cuts are made, who get's the boot... Douglas or McBride?

Do they really want to release a player like Douglas after he took a $2M pay cut? I kinda sets a bad example for the FO.

The top 5 spots at WR are set, and they really don't have enough depth at the bottom to warrant keeping 7 of them.

So whoever ends of winning the #6 WR job, of course it will come down to which one plays best on special teams.

Don't know if Douglas really plays much ST, so he may be the odd man out. So perhaps it comes down to Weems or McBride.

3 minutes ago, chef said:

I don't believe we're shifting to a 3 wide set (with Walker at TE, either RB) all the time or anything

They may not use a 3-WR base offense, but they will definitely be using a lot more 3-WR sets. Kinda like the nickel on defense.

They could stick with the 2-TE set as the base offense, but will be going 3-WR close to (if not more than) 50% of the time.

Just now, Rolltide said:

Mentoring is wayyyyyyyyyy overrated. Here you have a 30 year old professional coming off 2 major injuries who will be 100% dedicated to being ready to play asap. He doesn't have the time to hold some kid's dick so that same kid can take playing time from him. 

Of course a good teammate will from time to time give advice to younger players but most of his value as a leader is by example. His work habits, how he handles certain situations. He is here to produce not be some player coach. 

Disclaimer-The above comments in no way are an indicator that I hate Eric Decker, his family or his religion or that I want him dead. I'm fine with the signing. 

Agreed on the player coach thing.  I think the greatest value is just by having someone else do it in the practice line with you who has done it before.  And guys with lots of experience from different systems can add quite a bit to film room conversations, just like if I hire  cook who has worked at other places, I might learn a few tidbits from them based on their work history.  

They're not coaches though.  That tends to get throw around way too much with QBs especially.  

15 minutes ago, Rolltide said:

I never said I was against the signing. Can you provide a quote to that effect? So let's waste 50 posts because you cannot read. 

I'm not a superficial idiot poster who just cheers wildly or bitches about the signing of a player. I took issue with some things others have said. 

If you have taken issue with some things others have said, you're going to have a terrible time here on TR.  You've bitched in the last couple months about us not drafting the players you wanted (I know, I know.  It's not signing a player, but its in a similar ballpark).  All I was doing was answering the implied question (why did we sign Eric Decker?).  

Come the fuck on.