Austin Johnson most improved player this offseason according to Mike Keith

2 hours ago, Tnasty said:

Does Austin Johnson play NT or can he play on the end like casey? JW. 

I was excited about bringing in Sly to shore up the middle but you can never have too many quality big guys. 

In theory he could do either. With Sly at NT at Jones at DE, I assume Johnson would rotate to both positions. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

to mark the finish of the offseason program Keith/Wells/Wyatt did a recap video on the website going over what has happened this offseason. found it interesting that Mike Keith put forward Austin

Johnson was my biggest hope for a big jump to improve the team. If he could really become a disruptive inside force it could really help the defense in a lot of ways.

That entire vid got me stoked for training camp. Most improved areas: receivers and secondary.  Most improved players: Austin Johnson, D Henry. Improved NT from Sly Williams. To go along with the spec

2 hours ago, japan said:

He was coming on at the end of the season last year.  Kind of a forgotten guy, but I expect big things.

That play in the Denver game was nasty. He mailed his guy and then absolutely stonewalled the back leading to the fourth down. 

I loved his tape at Penn. He reminded me of a larger, slower, version of Casey that you could plug in the 1 gap. His body was a little sloppy, but the instincts and burst were apparent. If he can tone his body he might be a stud.

8 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Johnson was my biggest hope for a big jump to improve the team. If he could really become a disruptive inside force it could really help the defense in a lot of ways.

Mine was a healthy Dodd. I didn't realize how much bigger he is than Orakpo until I watched all 22 replays. If he can get right and Austin Johnson + Sylvester Williams show out, to go along with the secondary reboot, it might actually be fun to watch the defense again.  But it's hard to bank on that many "ifs" even for me.

8 hours ago, TheBukafax said:

It will make 3rd and short a lot more interesting for sure. If AJ is stout in the middle it will remove the necessity of Williamson on the field. Allows us to come out in more base looks replacing Williamson for Jaylon Brown. Balances the D so well on 3rd and short.

Rak..Casey..AJ...Dodd..Morgan 

ohhh boy would be nice

Angelo Blackson is another solid depth guy up the middle.  I wish Klug hadn't gotten hurt since he filled in for Casey better than anyone else as a 3 tech 3-4 pass rushing DE, but still Casey/S Williams/D Jones/A Johnson/A Blackson/Klug is a pretty nice 3-4 rotation, especially considering it wasn't long ago we were very concerned about converting to a 3-4, including DL size as well as factors like Morgan in coverage.  

4 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

That play in the Denver game was nasty. He mailed his guy and then absolutely stonewalled the back leading to the fourth down. 

I loved his tape at Penn. He reminded me of a larger, slower, version of Casey that you could plug in the 1 gap. His body was a little sloppy, but the instincts and burst were apparent. If he can tone his body he might be a stud.

I always bring up his unsung 2nd down stop of Spencer Ware on the Chiefs final drive. It saved the game as much as Williamson's stop of Smith. 

Improved quickness in the drills and how in shape compared to last year. Plus, has he put on a ton of muscle or slimmed down, etc... you're right it's kind of early but I guess they had to pick someone. 

On 6/16/2017 at 11:22 PM, Mythos27 said:

Interesting. I didn't like him but if he's really rebuilt his body I'm excited to see what he can do. Part of why i didn't like him is he looked kinda sloppy and slow twitch in his college tape so if he's twitchy and fit now, he might be a whole different player.

I felt the same Mythos, his combine was really bad. I also felt he was sort of a tweener in that he played the run very well but he wasn't exactly an immovable object at the nose, he wasn't the best at anchoring. He also got in the backfield a good amount but didn't seem athletic enough to translate this to the big leagues. Basically I saw him as a tough, hardworking kid who had big production because he played with a lot of energy. 70 tackles & 6.5 sacks is nothing to shake a stick at for a 1 tech. But I didn't see high 2nd rd traits. 

But if hes improved physically we could have something. The kid has an enormous lower body & he plays hard, with a ton of energy. That's something you can't overlook.

I also think Austin got humbled pretty quickly last year when they had him running with the 3s and sweating the cut down to the final 53, even with his second round status. He's been busting ass since.

I wonder how Tretola looked? Besides the two 2nd rd defenders last year he was the guy I was really hoping improved his body in the offseason. 

He was the best OL in the SEC the last 2 years & faced as tough a schedule of DL as you could possibly face. He had a little trouble with quickness in college but at the end of the day he gave up 1 1/2 sacks in 2 years & was totally dominant in the run game. His play strength was awesome. He looked very good in preseason last year, albeit against scrubs.

If he can win the RG spot, though he is listed as backup LG, that could really put this OL over the top on the road grading dept.

7 hours ago, Face said:

I felt the same Mythos, his combine was really bad. I also felt he was sort of a tweener in that he played the run very well but he wasn't exactly an immovable object at the nose, he wasn't the best at anchoring. He also got in the backfield a good amount but didn't seem athletic enough to translate this to the big leagues. Basically I saw him as a tough, hardworking kid who had big production because he played with a lot of energy. 70 tackles & 6.5 sacks is nothing to shake a stick at for a 1 tech. But I didn't see high 2nd rd traits. 

But if hes improved physically we could have something. The kid has an enormous lower body & he plays hard, with a ton of energy. That's something you can't overlook.

Yeah. Like you, i just didn't see those traits that you look for in a dominant college DL. It also bugged me that he seemed to small to be the true nose we needed but also not athletic enough to be the interior penetrator we want.

We also had just drafted Daquan Jones and Angelo Blackson who are about the same size but more athletic and i thought were capable to of holding that spot down.  Just came off as a terrible pick on all counts but hey if he's a new man he gets a clean slate from me.

43 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Yeah. Like you, i just didn't see those traits that you look for in a dominant college DL. It also bugged me that he seemed to small to be the true nose we needed but also not athletic enough to be the interior penetrator we want.

We also had just drafted Daquan Jones and Angelo Blackson who are about the same size but more athletic and i thought were capable to of holding that spot down.  Just came off as a terrible pick on all counts but hey if he's a new man he gets a clean slate from me.

I saw this a lot different. I saw a guy who plain knew how to play the game with leverage. He's great at shedding blockers, and he had enough burst to put up a lot of pressure and 6.5 sacks against good competition. Casey looked really similar coming out.