I'm Not Sure Rishard Matthews Has The Right Attitude

BeedoeLaw

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting article.  They either need to do away with voluntary workouts or make them mandatory and pay them additionally for it. 

The voluntary mini-camp/off season stuff is a pretty big scam by the league. They can negotiate in the CBA all this off time and make this stuff voluntary but the fans and teammates attack the players

The NFLPA is the weakest among all the major sports in the US. Compared to the other 3 sports, NFL players make shit.

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

The voluntary mini-camp/off season stuff is a pretty big scam by the league. They can negotiate in the CBA all this off time and make this stuff voluntary but the fans and teammates attack the players who don't attend and the peer pressure is off the charts.I got the sense as Mularkey talked about Henry not being there he was reading a script prepared by the league.

The owners have dominated the players in the NFL so well in terms of the CBA it's not even funny. As the revenue has grown the players have gotten a smaller and smaller piece of the pie. The teams have learned how to structure the contracts and cut these guys before they ever see the majority of their big money expect for a few elite guys.

Not to mention all the players who are dying committing suicide and totally beat up after their careers

Oh well, can't wait for the season to start!

The worst part is when all these sheep ass fans start shitting on the player over it.

Let's think about this for a minute. Training camp starts in late July. Season ends for the two Super Bowl contenders the first week of February. If you miss the playoffs, your season is over the first week of January. I think the voluntary stuff starts in April. They practice 3 days a week until the last week of June. Then they are back for Training camp at the end of July.

So, let's count that up. If they do all of the voluntary stuff, that's a 8 month work calender. If you skip the voluntary stuff, which is totally with in their rights, that is a 6 month work calender. That is pretty damn sweet to me. I'm all for workers rights, and I definitely understand the issues with player contracts and concussions, but it is hard for me to understand how you bitch about working voluntarily three days a week for a couple of months in the off-season, in a sport you are supposed to love to play. It is a schedule where you work 8 months out of 12. 

2 hours ago, BeedoeLaw said:

Let's think about this for a minute. Training camp starts in late July. Season ends for the two Super Bowl contenders the first week of February. If you miss the playoffs, your season is over the first week of January. I think the voluntary stuff starts in April. They practice 3 days a week until the last week of June. Then they are back for Training camp at the end of July.

So, let's count that up. If they do all of the voluntary stuff, that's a 8 month work calender. If you skip the voluntary stuff, which is totally with in their rights, that is a 6 month work calender. That is pretty damn sweet to me. I'm all for workers rights, and I definitely understand the issues with player contracts and concussions, but it is hard for me to understand how you bitch about working voluntarily three days a week for a couple of months in the off-season, in a sport you are supposed to love to play. It is a schedule where you work 8 months out of 12. 

if you think these guys ever take so much as a week off you're crazy and deeply ignorant of what it takes to build and maintain such a high level of athleticism.

This is about letting the players have some control over their lives in the off season, working with their doctor, their trainers, etc.

44 minutes ago, patsplat said:

if you think these guys ever take so much as a week off you're crazy and deeply ignorant of what it takes to build and maintain such a high level of athleticism.

This is about letting the players have some control over their lives in the off season, working with their doctor, their trainers, etc.

My argument is about time away from the facility, coaches, and organized football activities. What players do on their own time (which they have plenty of) is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, patsplat said:

Douglas was on 104.5 the other day and they asked him what he would do now that mini-camp is over until training camp starts

He said now he works on his own, 3-a-days. He does yoga in the morning, lifts weights then does track/speed work in the afternoon. He basically said it's when the real work starts

38 minutes ago, BeedoeLaw said:

What players do on their own time (which they have plenty of) is irrelevant.

Back in the old days (c. 1920-1970), they all had jobs in the offseason before they made millions like they do now.

8 minutes ago, Oiler FANatic said:

Back in the old days (c. 1920-1970), they all had jobs in the offseason before they made millions like they do now.

Which is even more of a reason why they need to work out 12 months a year

57 minutes ago, BeedoeLaw said:

My argument is about time away from the facility, coaches, and organized football activities. What players do on their own time (which they have plenty of) is irrelevant.

If a job requires 6 months of preparation on your own time, realistic people consider that part of the job.

The problem isn't the workouts, it's this Kabuki theatre of calling them voluntary.  Everybody gets sand in their butts because Henry skips voluntary workouts.  The label is obviously BS.

1 hour ago, patsplat said:

If a job requires 6 months of preparation on your own time, realistic people consider that part of the job.

The problem isn't the workouts, it's this Kabuki theatre of calling them voluntary.  Everybody gets sand in their butts because Henry skips voluntary workouts.  The label is obviously BS.

Most adults work everyday, so what's your point. If you compared a player's hours of work (personal time or not) with that of the average working adult, I'm sure the working adult would ring up many more working hours.

Edited by BeedoeLaw

38 minutes ago, BeedoeLaw said:

Most adults work everyday, so what's your point. If you compared a player's hours of work (personal time or not) with that of the average working adult, I'm sure the working adult would ring up many more working hours.

Since we're making tenuous comparisons here, most jobs don't require the physical commitment or resulting injuries / surgeries either. Then again most adults are not high level performers in a very profitable entertainment segment.

58 minutes ago, BeedoeLaw said:

The average adult is dragging ass.  NFL players don't have time to post at TitansReport.

9 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

I think you might be surprised about the number of physically demanding jobs. And almost every job runs a risk of serious injury. 

I'd rather get a concussion or broken rib (which I'm sure are common NFL injuries) over the number of different injuries through various jobs. Such as getting burned as a cook or firefighter. Or shot as a cop. Contracting a disease as a social worker....And so on.

Not to mention these athletes are seeing top of the line doctors and physical therapists. Dont have to worry about a hopsital bill. Whereas your average citizen deals with types half as good and have to actually pay out of pocket most times.

This just goes back to your average Joe's don't wanna hear millionaires bitching about needing more money for a plane ticket or cab fair. Gimme a break.

No one gets out of life alive.  People get hurt doing stuff, really?  

I imagine the players are responsible for at least a portion of the hospital bills after leaving the league.  And those injuries linger.  

If you don't want to hear about the athletes negotiating their value, then don't stay away from sports media.  You choose to read/listen/watch that shit.  If you want a break, take it.