Titans sign Jayon Brown.

Ricky

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Titans have reached a deal with another one of their draft picks – linebacker Jayon Brownicon-article-link.gif.

Brown, the team’s fifth-round draft pick, has signed his rookie contract with the Titans. The team has now reached deals with seven of their nine draft picks.

Brown (6-0, 226) tallied 119 tackles last season at UCLA, and he totaled 220 stops in his playing career. He was a first-team All- Pac-12 conference selection last year, when he ranked in the top 15 in the nation in solo tackles per game.

Brown recovered two fumbles for the Bruins last season, and he was tied for 10th in the Pac-12 with three interceptions while starting 12 games in 2016. He recorded five double-digit tackle games, including 19 stops in a game against Colorado and 14 tackles vs California.

I've heard more about Jayon Brown than any other rookie. Robiskie was on Titans radio and raved about the kid as did Mike Keith.

They both talked about his quickness and ability to cover. Robiskie went as far as to say he's been giving the offense some trouble.

Love Jayon Brown. I thought there was a great chance we were picking him before the draft, he just fit....smaller, coverage LBer, UCLA kid who played a year under Spanos. 

PFF rated him as one of the best LBers in the country in basically every metric, he was the 2nd best coverage LBer but was also 12th against the run & a very good blitzer who also got a bunch of pressures coming off the edge. The problem is how his run defense will transfer to the NFL as he really has trouble getting off blocks, he's a 100% pure weakside LBer, a space guy.

This doesn't even bother me though, not being a "3 down player" is almost a positive these days, with all the sub packages. Avery & WW are plenty good against the run and fine on 1st down. That's all well & good but LBers who can cover are becoming more & more important. Offenses more than ever are flooding the middle of the field, often with big, athletic TE's who are de facto slot receivers. 

Brown covers like a safety, he's so fluid. And he's a terrific blitzer. I think he's going to be an excellent nickel LBer sooner than later. It would be nice if his run D translates but that's gravy. 

Either way, I expect him to play himself into a nickel LB spot very early into the season. 

And Robinson traded up to get him if I remember correct. He has traded up for Conklin, Sims, Taylor this year, and Brown. Seems he wants someone he gets his guy. Seems like Brown will be a steal. 

Archived