Mariota can't be THIS good in the Red Zone

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agreed. He's better than those sorry shits.

I think he moved because of where Mariota's head went.

Posted Images

Mariota's college stats are other-worldly. Only one QB had gaudier stats that I could find but Marcus was still more efficient. I think he's already a top 5 QB in terms of accuracy. For me it goes Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Mariota.

Sometimes you know when a team or player will "regress to the mean". An example is the 2013 team, which I actually thought was pretty solid. But they started off the year 3-1 with zero turnovers. You knew that wasn't lasting. Then came KC, Seattle, and the Niners.

If Marcus was getting some lucky plays or such, Id say maybe he's due to fall back. But his release is so quick, his ball so accurate, his ability to process defenses & manipulate defenders with his eyes is so advanced, I think this is basically him.

Sure, when things are as cramped as they are in the RZ shit will eventually happen, there's gonna be some picks & fumbles, but anybody can see with their own 2 eyes that he's a super high level guy down in that area.

And if he ever becomes more comfortable as to when to pull it down & run, forget it.

2 hours ago, titanruss said:

awesome, thank you. 

so he's been pretty incredible his whole career there. 

look at those freshman numbers. thats just stellar from the red zone. WOW. looks like the switch to helfrich as a HC affected the completion % some across the board... and actually lowed his TD% in the red zone. he recovered his junior year. looks like his sophomore year he improved on 2nd down passing and his senior year he put it all together. 

if his learning curve in the pros is anything similar then huge numbers can be expected this year. 

There's multiple factors involved in the decline his Soph year over his Frosh year.

Chip Kelly vs Mark Helfrich.

DeAnthony Thomas was injured most of Marcus' 2nd year, and DCs always had a spy on DeAnthony.  Often their best corner.

Marcus himself had a partial MCL tear and was mobility limited.

And when comparing gross stats in his Jr year to Soph year, you have to take into account he played 2 additional games his Jr year.

Edited by TitanDuckFan

It's nasty what Mariota does when he has a good game.  Mariota's mean.

Say Mariota doesn't change a whit, but the defense gets 10 more INTs over last year.  Titans win a few more games and he'll be in the MVP conversation.

One good thing I can say about when Whiz coached Marcus is that, Marcus looked like a better QB.  I know Whiz sucked at protecting him but in terms of teaching him the pro game, Whiz's knowledge of QB play seemed better than anyone on Mularkey's regime.  Right now it almost seems like Marcus is teaching himself how to get better.  Too bad Whiz wasn't the Titans QB coach.

Had to laugh at the guy who wrote the Brick Wall Blitz  evaluation of Bortles.  

"Pros

-Makes any other starting QB look better by comparison

Cons

-Long, unpleasant throwing motion

-Can't read defenses..."  

The write up is even more brutal.  Needless to say, not a fan of Bortles.  

Edited by LOhunter

14 hours ago, 8MM said:

One good thing I can say about when Whiz coached Marcus is that, Marcus looked like a better QB.  I know Whiz sucked at protecting him but in terms of teaching him the pro game, Whiz's knowledge of QB play seemed better than anyone on Mularkey's regime.  Right now it almost seems like Marcus is teaching himself how to get better.  Too bad Whiz wasn't the Titans QB coach.

Mariota from week 5 to week 12 last year looked like a far better QB than he did at all in 2015.

2 hours ago, BergerKing said:

Bank on the regression

1 hour ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Bad troll is bad. 

Hows mett doing these days? Must be tough when no one even wants you as a backup QB. 

Mett can't even make a roster.  How's that for regression?!