Episode 136 - NFL Draft Round 1 Titans Recap

Jonboy

Jonboy & Jamal discuss the Titans selection in round 1 of the 2017 NFL Draft. They talk about the strengths and weaknesses of Corey Davis and Adoree' Jackson, as well as who the Titans may look to draft in round 3. 

http://traffic.libsyn.com/twotonecrew/Episode_136_.mp3

http://twotonecrew.libsyn.com/rss

Stitcher: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-two-tone-crew

Voicemail:
(615) 900-0282

Mailbag:
[email protected]

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/titansreport

Twitter:
Titans Report- @titansreport

Jonboy- @RetroRaconteur

Tom Gower- @ThomasGower

iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-two-tone-crew/id485247545?mt=2

• Jonboy pinned this topic
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jonboy & Jamal discuss the Titans selection in round 1 of the 2017 NFL Draft. They talk about the strengths and weaknesses of Corey Davis and Adoree' Jackson, as well as who the Titans may look to

Now children.

Sharpe was a solid WR for a 5th round rookie.... His spot still needed upgrading, he wasn't good enough

Jonboy had a pretty good handle on how things played out. Davis was coveted and guys like Allen falling......

I wasn't surprised they took a WR at 5, I said on the last podcast the thing I had turned around on was the possibility of a WR at 5. Even more so after all 3 went by 9.

After they took a WR and CB the rest of the draft is more about upgrading guys like Douglas, Supernaw, Searcy McCain etc.....

BTW based on Mike Keith's comments I believe had they dropped to 12 the way things played out Allen would have been the pick.

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

BTW based on Mike Keith's comments I believe had they dropped to 12 the way things played out Allen would have been the pick.

Yep

But what's interesting is it's no guarantee (still likely) that they'd take Allen at 18 after not trading down. Trading down to 12 means you have round 2 pick for CB/WR. You can take something of a luxury position in Rd 1 at that point. Not picking up the Rd 2 makes it much harder to do so.

I think Jamal's criticism of Sharpe was unfair, he did very well for a 5th round guy and is poised to be a solid #3 for us.

Cooper Kupp is a possibility in Rd 3 if he falls, I think ILB will be another spot to look at.

Sharp's draft slot is meaningless when assessing how he did. He played more and did less than anyone else in the NFL, statistically speaking. But he was a rookie. Maybe he gets better. That's the real conversation. Pretending he did well isn't real.

3 hours ago, THE_TITAN said:

I think Jamal's criticism of Sharpe was unfair, he did very well for a 5th round guy and is poised to be a solid #3 for us.

The Titans use of their 5th pick says more about Sharpe than Jamal

3 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

The Titans use of their 5th pick says more about Sharpe than Jamal

My point is that Sharpe was a 5th round pick and, for the value of that selection, I think we got a pretty good player. No one should argue that Sharpe should be a starter, but as a #3 he can help us. Our expectations of him were raised because he flashed and won a starting spot. Determining whether he's successful or not is all relative, how many 5th round WRs can be consistent contributors? Not many. Keep that perspective in mind.

1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

Sharpe was 5th among ALL rookie WRs in receptions and yards.  He was the 14th WR taken.  IMO the kid could be a pretty good 3rd WR and play on the outside with Davis moving to the slot when we go 3 WRs.  Sharpe runs good routes but has limitations after the catch and has small hands.  So his upside isn't great but certainly he can get better. 

So saying he played more and did less is a dumb statement.  Saying the guy is "average" wouldn't be a huge knock on the guy.  Obviously we want someone more dynamic who can make big plays and catch more TDs.  But the kid is pretty solid as a rookie.  3 of the 4 guys ahead of him in receptions and yards weren't that much better.

Reads similar to the "DGB is awesome, compare his stats to other rookies" nonsense you used to write shortly before they dropped his ass.

Never go full Soxcat.

1 hour ago, THE_TITAN said:

My point is that Sharpe was a 5th round pick and, for the value of that selection, I think we got a pretty good player. No one should argue that Sharpe should be a starter, but as a #3 he can help us. Our expectations of him were raised because he flashed and won a starting spot. Determining whether he's successful or not is all relative, how many 5th round WRs can be consistent contributors? Not many. Keep that perspective in mind.

Draft value is meaningless in a discussion about upgrading the quality. Totally different discussions.

2 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Draft value is meaningless in a discussion about upgrading the quality. Totally different discussions.

Straw man. I said you were unfair in your criticism of Sharpe, for the reasons noted above, nothing about upgrading the quality. Your criticism of Sharpe was general and quite harsh.

Edited by THE_TITAN

4 minutes ago, THE_TITAN said:

Straw man. I said you were unfair in your criticism of Sharpe, for the reasons noted above, nothing about upgrading the quality. Your criticism of Sharpe was general and quite harsh.

My criticism of Sharpe was quality related, not draft value. You are confused. Please try and keep up.

Just now, Jamalisms said:

My criticism of Sharpe was quality related, not draft value. You are confused. Please try and keep up.

No, you said Sharpe "just didn't impress last year" and "he might never be 'that' guy". Well, relative to what? I'd put forward the argument, as I have, that he performed well for where the Titans drafted him. I never questioned the need to upgrade WR, indeed I've mocked two to the Titans for this year. So our lack of quality at the position was never in question, the crux of mine and I think Soxcat's arguments are that Sharpe was solid as a 5th round choice. So your criticism of him is unfair in the sense that you clearly are measuring him against a level that is likely impossible for him to achieve. He has upside limitation, but let's not be down on his rookie season. I think he exceeded most of the expectations that people had of him when we took him in the draft.

3 minutes ago, THE_TITAN said:

No, you said Sharpe "just didn't impress last year" and "he might never be 'that' guy". Well, relative to what? I'd put forward the argument, as I have, that he performed well for where the Titans drafted him. I never questioned the need to upgrade WR, indeed I've mocked two to the Titans for this year. So our lack of quality at the position was never in question, the crux of mine and I think Soxcat's arguments are that Sharpe was solid as a 5th round choice. So your criticism of him is unfair in the sense that you clearly are measuring him against a level that is likely impossible for him to achieve. He has upside limitation, but let's not be down on his rookie season. I think he exceeded most of the expectations that people had of him when we took him in the draft.

Again, in a discussion of quality, where he was drafted means nothing. What he can do means everything.

If he simply can't achieve a standard of being good relative to... wait for it... other players in the NFL ... and being able to contribute at a level consistent with how much they'll need to rely on him given the state of the position group - guess what? They need to upgrade the position.

You. Are. Confused.