Draft Buzz: Will QB-Needy Teams Suffer 2011 Relapse?

MIKE75

This year's class of draft-eligible quarterbacks has been savaged from the start by evaluators.

"I really don't like any of them," one team executive told Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "Maybe two will go in the first round because of need but they all have holes. ... It's one of the worst groups I've watched in a long time."

Plenty of draftniks agree, but will anything stop quarterback-needy teams from desperately reaching in the draft?

Reports have circulated for weeks that the Browns -- as NFL Network's Michael Silver put it -- have "differing viewpoints within the building" on how to use the No. 1 overall pick, with some still considering North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky over "no-brainer" pass-rushing terror Myles Garrett.

Even the 49ers are considering a passer at No. 2, with NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reporting that "those who know coach Kyle Shanahan well insist ... Trubisky would best fit what he does on offense."

All this fuss over a quarterback who was described by one scout as having a "ceiling to be a solid starter like Alex Smith."

Beyond Trubisky, Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes has reportedly caught the eye of the Cardinals and Chiefs amid whispers that Texans coach Bill O'Brien "absolutely loves" the strong-armed signal-caller.

"I may be crazy but when I watch (Mahomes') tape, just as a scout, I get excited," one personnel man told McGinn before another warned: "He has the best arm of the group, but he plays crazy. I don't even think 'gunslinger' is the right word. He's reckless. ... Mahomes might have 20 plays in a game where you go, 'What are you doing?'"

None of these quarterbacks suggest the second coming of Joe Montana, but teams with burning needs will ensure, once again, that unpolished arms go long before they should in the draft.

It's fair to wonder if this is 2011 all over again -- minus the presence of a Cam Newton-level headliner. That class was equally bereft of plug-and-play starting passers, but that didn't stop the likes of Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder all finding homes by the twelfth pick of the draft.

With the Browns, Niners, Jets, Bills, Cardinals and Chiefs all potentially seeking quarterback talent, will the NFL overvalue this year's crop of quarterbacks in a way that would make even Gabbert turn red?

It sure feels like it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000802502/article/draft-buzz-will-qbneedy-teams-suffer-2011-relapse

All i can really say about this is thankfully it isn't us any longer trying to find a QB

We got the wrong guy in 2011 and had to deal with the consequences for too damn long.

I don't envy these teams at all and i bet most will make the wrong choice.

I'll never forget 2011 all these QB Gabbert,Ponder,Locker,Mallett,Stanzi,Yates,McElroy,etc. were busts

Only Dalton,Kap and Taylor have had any type of success.

And Cam.

It's crazy how much data and history shows that if the QB is not worth using a high selection on then you should not take him.. yet teams ignore it every year. Even the Browns appear to be heading down this path despite fully embracing analytics as an organization. 

At least for the Jags, they seem to be ready to correct their mistake instead of continuing the suffocation of their team for another two years.

1 minute ago, MIKE75 said:

All i can really say about this is thankfully it isn't us any longer trying to find a QB

We got the wrong guy in 2011 and had to deal with the consequences for too damn long.

I'll never forget 2011 all these QB Gabbert,Ponder,Locker,Mallett,Stanzi,Yates,McElroy,etc. were busts

And what's funny... is that it's not surprising it turned out that way.

3 minutes ago, MIKE75 said:

And Cam-Scam right?

All these guys are duds.

Maybe Watson has what it takes. Maybe. His scattershot arm could result in a bunch of 9 for 23 with 3 INT type games as often as he throws for 300.

Trubisky? I don't see it, way too short a track record.

Mahomes - they've fallen in love with his arm and can't see anything else.

Kizer - all tools, no toolbox.

Davis Webb? Goof the sequel. Josh Dobbs - must not have watched too many Vols games.

Archived