Warren Sapp questions why Myles Garrett should go #1

socaltitan

Bongo would appreciate this

As the NFL draft approaches this week, Hall of Fame defensive lineman Warren Sapp is struggling to understand why Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett is poised to be the No. 1 pick.

"I don't see it from this kid," Sapp said Sunday about Garrett. "I see the splash plays -- everybody gets those. Where's the game he took over? Where? Any defensive lineman who's the No. 1 pick, you turn up and you say, 'There it is!' This kid, no, I don't. I'm a pretty plain and frank guy, and I watch the tape and he disappears. I watch the tape and he absolutely disappears."

Still, Garrett is considered the favorite to go No. 1 to Cleveland Browns, who also used the No. 1 overall pick in the 2000 draft on Penn State defensive end Courtney Brown.

"I don't think this kid is as good as Courtney Brown, either," Sapp said.

Sapp believes teams have fallen for Garrett for one reason only.

"It's all about measurable," he said. "Once you hit the measurable, it's tough to get them old scout people off the numbers, and that's what [Garrett] has. He's big and he's fast. Now some defensive line coach is thinking, 'I can turn him into something.' How? I'm trying to figure this out. Really? Are we lowering the bar?"

Sapp said he has studied a handful of games that Garrett has played on tape, but he said it didn't take him long to realize the type of player that Garrett is. Now, as Garrett is closing in on becoming the first defensive lineman drafted No. 1 overall since Jadeveon Clowney in 2014, Sapp wonders how important the game is to him.

"I see a lazy kid that makes four plays a game," Sapp said. "This is the No. 1 guy? No, no, no. This ain't even close."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/19225223/warren-sapp-think-myles-garrett-no-1-pick

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sapp is one of the former players I consider a total retard

Say what you want about Sapp, but he's telling the truth. Garrett's tape don't lie. 

I have to say I agree with Bongo a 100% on Reddick & Lawson. It amazes me Reddick isn't going too 10, this is a guy with 22.5 TFL's last year, 11 sacks. And he has Von Miller like combine numbers.

6 minutes ago, socaltitan said:

Bongo would appreciate this

As the NFL draft approaches this week, Hall of Fame defensive lineman Warren Sapp is struggling to understand why Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett is poised to be the No. 1 pick.

"I don't see it from this kid," Sapp said Sunday about Garrett. "I see the splash plays -- everybody gets those. Where's the game he took over? Where? Any defensive lineman who's the No. 1 pick, you turn up and you say, 'There it is!' This kid, no, I don't. I'm a pretty plain and frank guy, and I watch the tape and he disappears. I watch the tape and he absolutely disappears."

Still, Garrett is considered the favorite to go No. 1 to Cleveland Browns, who also used the No. 1 overall pick in the 2000 draft on Penn State defensive end Courtney Brown.

"I don't think this kid is as good as Courtney Brown, either," Sapp said.

Sapp believes teams have fallen for Garrett for one reason only.

"It's all about measurable," he said. "Once you hit the measurable, it's tough to get them old scout people off the numbers, and that's what [Garrett] has. He's big and he's fast. Now some defensive line coach is thinking, 'I can turn him into something.' How? I'm trying to figure this out. Really? Are we lowering the bar?"

Sapp said he has studied a handful of games that Garrett has played on tape, but he said it didn't take him long to realize the type of player that Garrett is. Now, as Garrett is closing in on becoming the first defensive lineman drafted No. 1 overall since Jadeveon Clowney in 2014, Sapp wonders how important the game is to him.

"I see a lazy kid that makes four plays a game," Sapp said. "This is the No. 1 guy? No, no, no. This ain't even close."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/19225223/warren-sapp-think-myles-garrett-no-1-pick

He is right.  Garrett is gonna bust.  His tape blows and his production has never met his numbers.  It is one of the best indicators of a bust for a DL.  Most know I don't like Barnett either but I would take Barnett 100/100 times over Garrett.  

1 minute ago, Bongo59 said:

He is right.  Garrett is gonna bust.  His tape blows and his production has never met his numbers.  It is one of the best indicators of a bust for a DL.  Most know I don't like Barnett either but I would take Barnett 100/100 times over Garrett.  

You still banging the drum for Reddick, Lawson and Willis?

Love them all but I see the draft breaking differently now.  I think the Jags are taking a QB.  That is gonna change things for a lot of people.  If they take Trubisky then I think at 5 we see a trade for Mahommes.  And who is the dance partner is key.  My hope based upon the chatter I've heard is that I hope it is Buffalo who deals with us because I like the compensation on that chatter.  

Just now, Bongo59 said:

Love them all but I see the draft breaking differently now.  I think the Jags are taking a QB.  That is gonna change things for a lot of people.  If they take Trubisky then I think at 5 we see a trade for Mahommes.  And who is the dance partner is key.  My hope based upon the chatter I've heard is that I hope it is Buffalo who deals with us because I like the compensation on that chatter.  

What was the compensation? Buffalo only has 6 picks this year so I would assume future picks are involved. 

21 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

You still banging the drum for Reddick, Lawson and Willis?

I have to say I agree with Bongo a 100% on Reddick & Lawson. It amazes me Reddick isn't going too 10, this is a guy with 22.5 TFL's last year, 11 sacks. And he has Von Miller like combine numbers. Lawson looks like James Harrison part 2, great explosiveness & leverage.

2 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

What was the compensation? Buffalo only has 6 picks this year so I would assume future picks are involved. 

Watkins.  TN has also reached out to Floyd agent this month.  Tells me they may not be going WR at all.  I keep hearing Ross is the only WR they like and they do not like his medical.  So they are talking to teams.  Watkins still has not gotten his 5th year option and I think this is why he has not.  If he is traded the team who gets him has until May to activate it.  Jags are dragging their feet on Bortles and this is why I think they are going QB.  They also had in top 3 QB's for private meetings in last ten days.  

Reddick is the best DE ILB in this draft.  It is not Foster.  And Reddick is a JRob guy.  Key is where to get him.  I still think TN wants OJ or Adams.  But I think they know their only hope to get Adams is if Clev takes a QB at one.  And from the chatter that is a very real chance now.  This is why Jax is trying to be stealth.  Right now Mahommes is the guy 4 teams want.  He is the hottest player now.  I think he'll go top ten for sure.  

I do think Foster is in play at 18 now.  I know the TN scouts like him but Jrob is not going to like the weed train he has.  But I will say this........Foster is not free falling because there is talk MJ maybe legal in 2018 in the NFL.  Teams know it and it wont hurt players who smoke as much as it might have in years past.