Star Wars: The Last Jedi

reo

Everyone wants to guess how the plot will turn.  I'd do a twist.  I'd spend most of The Last Jedi with Rey being trained by Luke (while other stuff is going on, of course) only to have her chop Kylo Ren and turn, becoming Snoke's new apprentice at the end.  Then you have a set up for the final chapter.  Luke will have to get over his final failure, pick up the saber, and deal with her evil, and very adept ass.  Redemption?  The final push of Luke into madness?  Luke would definitely be the last Jedi this way.

Obviously I haven't spent a lot of time thinking this through but something of this nature would be fresh in the Star Wars universe.  And probably turn 2/3 of the rabid fans away.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The dark side I sense in you.

That's true of every single Star Wars movie ever made. Fwiw...

It's probably unlikely that Rey will turn evil, if not for the fact that she's a significant female lead in a Disney film. She'll probably be a resiliently good character (who may be conflicted in some moments). Kylo Ren may emerge has an anti-hero (which is very en vogue). He may not have a full on redemption story, but they'll probably make the audience sympathize with him in some way and bring another dimension to his character.

In the Star Wars lore it's Leia, not Luke who may be one of the most important characters in the saga. (Yoda didn't want to train Luke, he wanted to train Leia). Obviously she's a very important figure in leading the Alliance. These sequels will likely try and tell that story (General Leia) and will likely use the hero arc with Rey to mirror the "could have been" hero's journey that Leia never really had. 

It would make sense if Rey was a Skywalker from a larger narrative stand point, but that's a bit too "on the nose". Rey may just be a prodigy who was stashed away on Jakku to protect her from something (likely Snoke). Luke will probably be disillusioned, trying to understand what it really means to be in balance with the force. (or just good in general). He likely believes that the Jedi order was misguided in some way and is trying to find the real truth. (and may at this point feel a bit like a pacifist or resigned to the reality of evil). 

On 11/3/2017 at 4:21 PM, NashvilleNinja said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Han and Leia are NOT Rey's parents. At least I hope they aren't. It would just be anti-climactic, imo.

I think many of us feel this way or with it being Luke--but you just never know. The emotional weight of such a reveal might mean it doesn't have to be a "surprise". 

There are some theories linking it to Star Wars Rebels (would this do enough for mainstream fans?) Others linking her to Palpatine which would create a kind of interesting parallel. 

I think her parentage being predictable only works if she goes dark side for a bit. 

I will say, her getting Luke's lightsaber does strongly mirror Luke receiving his father's lightsaber--which could create some interesting narrative moves. A lot of possibility. 

7 minutes ago, 'Nator said:

Oh a short story in a new nerd book? Yeah that book bullshit doesn’t count. 

No he is referring to the line of dialogue where Yoda says "there is another" in reference to replacing Luke. 

3 minutes ago, Bink said:

No he is referring to the line of dialogue where Yoda says "there is another" in reference to replacing Luke. 

No. I’m fairly aware of that line of dialogue, having seen the movie at least 700 times. I was responding to his statement that Yoda preferred to train Leia over Luke. 

8 minutes ago, 'Nator said:

No. I’m fairly aware of that line of dialogue, having seen the movie at least 700 times. I was responding to his statement that Yoda preferred to train Leia over Luke. 

For sure, but doesn't that line (given how much you've seen these movies) make it pretty easy to infer? Especially given Yoda's hesitancy to train both Luke and his father?

16 minutes ago, Bink said:

I think many of us feel this way or with it being Luke--but you just never know. The emotional weight of such a reveal might mean it doesn't have to be a "surprise". 

There are some theories linking it to Star Wars Rebels (would this do enough for mainstream fans?) Others linking her to Palpatine which would create a kind of interesting parallel. 

I think her parentage being predictable only works if she goes dark side for a bit. 

I will say, her getting Luke's lightsaber does strongly mirror Luke receiving his father's lightsaber--which could create some interesting narrative moves. A lot of possibility. 

I do assume one of her parents (grandparents?) will be recognizable to even casual Star Wars fans. Could be anyone from Obi Wan to Palpitine to Snoke (we still don’t know about him), but I think we will recognize them.

1 hour ago, Bink said:

For sure, but doesn't that line (given how much you've seen these movies) make it pretty easy to infer? Especially given Yoda's hesitancy to train both Luke and his father?

Pretty simple. Luke wasn't the last Skywalker. He has a sister. That was a big plot reveal. 

To take that statement to mean "And she wasn't a brazen, angry dick like you, and I much preferred to train her" is really stretching it.

That's a good retro take for a geek-book though. 

Edited by 'Nator

All the books, art and other elements that get released by Disney are "canon". In the movies we know that Yoda didn't want to train Luke. (Force Ben has to convince Yoda after all). 

Leia becomes a General for the Resistance, Luke is currently a hermit. They're making a deliberate point to emphasize the importance of Leia in Star Wars universe. That's a theme that is being explored now. The book just goes to emphasize that story arc. That's the point I'm making. 

And yes, the current zeitgeist is influencing this too. Strong female leads and protagonists that are not primarily white men.