JRob simply can't take the risk of taking Lattimore

12 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

there is no doubt Allen has some great games on tape, but there has to be some concerns about the all star defense (7 guys this year likely to go in the top 3 rounds) he had around him and the level of competition Alabama faced at times, apart from the playoff games they hardly faced stellar offenses/OL throughout the year.

his combine testing simply doesn't match up to the film, the question needs to be answered why.

is Allen one of those guys who simply outperforms his measurables, just have to trust JRob if he is the pick at 5.

There are also the concerns about his shoulder. So...

1) Is he really that good or is he just the beneficiary of the defense he played in?

2) Are the shoulders ok?

3) Is he enough of a dominant, high-level player to warrant passing up similarly talented players at other positions of greater need?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

everyone knows about the hamstring issues surrounding Lattimore, but the full extent of these hamstring injuries aren't widely detailed. diving deeper into the issue, the problem goes all the way

My first watch of Jonathan Allen, I was all like IDK, he doesn't look like the most explosive guy I've ever seen. Going back and watching more.  The guy's instincts are off the charts.  He's not

I would avoid Ross as well. not saying any player that has had any injury should be avoided, but guys like Lattimore/Ross who have had multiple seasons ruined by the same injuries have major red

4 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

There are also the concerns about his shoulder. So...

1) Is he really that good or is he just the beneficiary of the defense he played in?

2) Are the shoulders ok?

3) Is he enough of a dominant, high-level player to warrant passing up similarly talented players at other positions of greater need?

would love to go back and watch how he went against Conklin and Michigan St in that one sided playoff game two years ago, also the 2015 game against Ole Miss and Tunsil where Bama got beaten.

8 hours ago, Face said:

One other thing, I'm tired of reading about the secondary not mattering & you just need to get pressure on the QB. This simply is not true. You need cover people, period.

We've had a damn good pass rush the last 2 years. We have a top 3 tech & a very good edge duo. But we can't cover!!!

It's not that the secondary "doesn't matter" it's just the pass rush matters more.

DL had to play man coverage and blitz last year and also had to stack the box to stop the run. If the Titans could generate pressure with only 4 and stop the run with only 6 or 7 then it makes it easier for the defense all together. I think the Titans pass rush was solid, not "damn good".

10 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

I wish I could understand the hype for Allen. If we needed help on the line then I would be all for it, but we don't. There are too many other prospects at other positions that are just as good that we actually need help at. Adams and Hooker at nickel/safety. Howard/Davis at TE/WR. Or even Foster at ILB. All would help this team far more than Allen would.

The hype is this.  He is a monster against the run but also has inside rish skills.  In this scheme with Rak Morgan and Casey he would get single blocking and he has shown in college if you try to block him on 1 on 1 you will lose and your QB will have no time.  I will remind you that fast path to the QB is the A gap andAllen has owned that gap in every tape in college.  His film is ridiculous.  And I will tell you I love Foster but if I am telling you the truth.......I worry about Foster for one reason.......in the NFL he wont be roaming behind Allen who created space for him to roam with his speed and violence.  Foster might have trouble in th eNFL dealing with OG who use power on him because of Allen's dominace.  Allen is the best DT I have seen since Suh, Donald and Sapp.......he is pretty special.  The power he shows on tape is astounding.  The way he destroys double teams is something every DL coach is going to love.  In this scheme Allen could really do well and it would make TN LB's better than they appear.   We do not need a DT but he is one that I think JRob would find it hard to pass on unless he got the right trade offer.  If he falls to five he maybe the player others want to move up for.  It may not be a QB needy team.  He is that good.  The drop off at DT after him is substantial. 

Edited by Bongo59

Oman's comment before mine is key.  If TN makes the pass rush elite you really have solved two problems with one.  That is part of the reason why I'd like to see both firsts go to the D.  I think TN needs only one WR and CB........so I am all about building the DL and making it have one on one blocking all the time not just with the starters.  TN is the only team I can think of right now who has a chance to have this kind of D.  That is how the Giants beat the Pats when they were undefeated and I think JRob knows this is a way to defeat pass happy teams like NE, Pitts, and Indy.  

When the pass rush is that good you become a great run D because of the penetration.  think back to the last two yrs of Haynesworth and KVB.  Albert was a monster because he was always in the back field.........and it made the rest of the D looked crazy good.  They destroyed teams.  I think Allen and a player like Reddick could give TN a dominate D in 2017.  I for one want to see that type of D back in Nashville.  Why?  I think MM is good enough to win now with that type of D.  If we can limit people to 14-17 points a game TN can win 12 games every yr for the next five years in my opinion.  TN has balance that no team in the South has and only NE has in the AFC.  My opinion might not be popular on this board but the FA moves to date show me JRob is going large on D and ST and I love the moves.  

8 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

would love to go back and watch how he went against Conklin and Michigan St in that one sided playoff game two years ago, also the 2015 game against Ole Miss and Tunsil where Bama got beaten.

Allen had great games in both......they did not lose because of him.  When ALA loses it is because they get no pass rush and their CB gets exposed......which is why I want no ALA CB drafted.  I dont think any of them are that good.  I think their DL makes them better than they really are.  

2 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

Our pass rush disappeared too many times to be considered "very good" last year. It was okay most of the time. 

I wasn't nearly as high on our defense last year as a lot of others were. 

As the season went on the defense was pitiful. They honestly need upgrading at every level. Free agency was a good start but they need more.

For the defense to get to where it needs to be they need to add more talent in the draft and they need the 2nd year players to step up.

Just now, OILERMAN said:

As the season went on the defense was pitiful. They honestly need upgrading at every level. Free agency was a good start but they need more.

For the defense to get to where it needs to be they need to add more talent in the draft and they need the 2nd year players to step up.

Agreed. I feel like it's almost off base to say the defense is one or two players from elite. 

Stats aside, what I saw last year was our guys getting manhandled for a majority of the game and stepping up near the end. Pass rush disappeared for periods of time. Corners looked awful. 

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

It's not that the secondary "doesn't matter" it's just the pass rush matters more.

DL had to play man coverage and blitz last year and also had to stack the box to stop the run. If the Titans could generate pressure with only 4 and stop the run with only 6 or 7 then it makes it easier for the defense all together. I think the Titans pass rush was solid, not "damn good".

Casey, Morgan, and Orakpo, while  not superstars (except maybe Casey) are a very good trio. Throw in Klug as a nickel rusher & our top 4 we're definitely top 10 in the league.

You compare that to our secondary of Blake, McCain, Cox, and McCourty & it's pretty clear what the problem was.

Im with you, I think in an ideal world you'd only rush 4 & play a soft zone behind it. But you need a modicum of talent in the secondary to. 

33 minutes ago, Justafan said:

My first watch of Jonathan Allen, I was all like IDK, he doesn't look like the most explosive guy I've ever seen.

Going back and watching more.  The guy's instincts are off the charts.  He's not the biggest, fastest, or strongest but he's a damn good football player.  Right now Allen, Adams, Foster, Howard, Davis.  Take em' in that order and get me two of them in the first round and i'm a happy dude.  

Great. Now I gotta go back and watch this guy yet again!