What They're Saying (Mar. 23)

CreepingDeath

No "breaking news" or anything, but I find the opinions around the web interesting - especially during the offseason.  Here are a few comments from articles not based entirely on the Titans.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2699447-seven-types-of-nfl-offseason-which-one-is-your-favorite-team-having

Mike Tanier slots the Titans into his first tier of "Win Now Mode"

Similarly, the Titans plan to stomp on the accelerator as soon as Marcus Mariota is healthy enough to take the field, with Logan Ryan, Jonathan Cyprien and Sylvester Williams upgrading the defense and another jumbo-sized draft haul coming to fill in holes elsewhere.

It's year three for both Mariota and Jameis Winston: time for them to start doing what Carr did for the Raiders last year.

While some may argue that the Titans aren't attempting to "win now" like the Patriots, of his listed tiers, it's the one that makes the most sense for the team.  Plus it's great to see the recognition that the team is moving in a positive fashion as well as placed higher than other teams that had similar records last season (like the Dolphins).  

My favorite comment was Tanier throwing a wet blanket on the Jags:

No team typifies the spirit of Look Busy Mode like the Jaguars, the NFL's binge-and-purge dieters. The Jaguars' expensive free-agent splash of Calais Campbell and A.J. Bouye is just as sexy as their 2015 and 2016 splashes. Just ignore the fact that this year's departures (Luke Joeckel, Tyson Alualu, Prince Amukamara, Julius Thomas, Kelvin Beachum) were yesteryear's draft and free-agent solutions.

--

https://theringer.com/nfl-free-agency-upgrades-2df40c38816c#.j3gt56rxd

Robert Mays' comments place him in the more optimistic side of the Titans' FA signings:

By signing Ryan (and run-stuffing strong safety Johnathan Cyprien), Tennessee made a concerted effort to transform its secondary into a group that doesn’t detract from the efforts of the team’s talented front four. With the excellent Jurrell Casey inside and the combination of Derrick Morgan and Brian Orakpo (19.5 combined sacks in 2016) outside, the Titans are loaded along the line. If Ryan and Cyprien can successfully patrol the defensive backfield, there’s a chance a unit that finished 24th in defensive DVOA can take some people by surprise in 2017.

I imagine many here would argue that what the Titans have done so far is not enough to become good enough to "win now".  

8 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

No "breaking news" or anything, but I find the opinions around the web interesting - especially during the offseason.  Here are a few comments from articles not based entirely on the Titans.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2699447-seven-types-of-nfl-offseason-which-one-is-your-favorite-team-having

Mike Tanier slots the Titans into his first tier of "Win Now Mode"

While some may argue that the Titans aren't attempting to "win now" like the Patriots, of his listed tiers, it's the one that makes the most sense for the team.  Plus it's great to see the recognition that the team is moving in a positive fashion as well as placed higher than other teams that had similar records last season (like the Dolphins).  

My favorite comment was Tanier throwing a wet blanket on the Jags:

--

https://theringer.com/nfl-free-agency-upgrades-2df40c38816c#.j3gt56rxd

Robert Mays' comments place him in the more optimistic side of the Titans' FA signings:

I imagine many here would argue that what the Titans have done so far is not enough to become good enough to "win now".  

And we have the draft, if Mariota has a great year and can get over that injury I see us in the playoffs 

27 minutes ago, KingTitan8 said:

And we have the draft, if Mariota has a great year and can get over that injury I see us in the playoffs 

Definitely.  Hell, just the upgraded Special Teams may have been enough to squeak into the playoffs.  That's the coverage I want someone to analyze in detail.  Obviously comparing the changes other teams made would need to be taken into account for a more robust conclusion of effectiveness.  (Example - Raiders lose points from their FA departures, but get some back due to getting C. Patterson.)

Of course the Titans are in "win-now" mode.  While they're not as desperate as a team like, say, the Steelers who are getting old at the most important position, they were 9-7 last year and have upgraded their roster.

I actually understand and like the moves made to bolster the special teams units that would get a solid grade in my book.

The Logan Ryan signing was a very solid move....

However i agree with the following from Walter Football about NT Sylvester Williams

This is from Walter Football..... 

Titans sign NT Sylvester Williams (3 years, $16.5M; $7.25M guaranteed): D Grade
I like what the Titans have done this offseason, but this signing makes very little sense to me. The money isn't big enough to warrant a Millen grade, but it's close.

Sylvester Williams is not a good football player. He's a nose tackle who sucks at stopping the run. That's pretty much all you need to know about him. He also has 5.5 career sacks, so he's not very good in the pass-rushing department either.

This signing gets an easy "D" grade. Williams isn't even young enough to be deemed a reclamation project, as he turns 29 in November. He should've been obtained for something closer to the veteran minimum. The Titans are overpaying for no reason.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#DwwE9C2f15Xfk6QQ.99

23 minutes ago, MIKE75 said:

I actually understand and like the moves made to bolster the special teams units that would get a solid grade in my book.

The Logan Ryan signing was a very solid move....

However i agree with the following from Walter Football about NT Sylvester Williams

This is from Walter Football..... 

Titans sign NT Sylvester Williams (3 years, $16.5M; $7.25M guaranteed): D Grade
I like what the Titans have done this offseason, but this signing makes very little sense to me. The money isn't big enough to warrant a Millen grade, but it's close.

Sylvester Williams is not a good football player. He's a nose tackle who sucks at stopping the run. That's pretty much all you need to know about him. He also has 5.5 career sacks, so he's not very good in the pass-rushing department either.

This signing gets an easy "D" grade. Williams isn't even young enough to be deemed a reclamation project, as he turns 29 in November. He should've been obtained for something closer to the veteran minimum. The Titans are overpaying for no reason.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#DwwE9C2f15Xfk6QQ.99

It's a different defensive style, don't know what you get out of him till you see him 

Wade Phillips and DL run very different Defenses.........so I don't think you can dog Williams yet.  They lost the Ravens NT and they must think this guy has some upside.  Also tells me they may not draft a DL or OL in this draft.  This might be an offense powered draft for TN.

Archived