The greatness of Christian McCaffery thread

Face

6 minutes ago, 8MM said:

Don't forget to include Barry Sanders.

exactly. 

i started listing shorter players but its more about mass distribution. emmitt wouldnt count because he's got more mass on him. 

barry was listed at 200 but really was more like 190. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First things first. He's an excellent back whose absolutely electric in the open field. He's NOT a "gadget" player. He's a 15-17 carry a game back with excellent traits....great play speed, all world

How god damn long can they go into a video before they show a real fucking highlight? Shit!

Assuming McCaffery is used as a slot receiver I'm on board

Posted Images

On 3/15/2017 at 11:01 PM, cenj said:

The more I watch of him, the more worried I get. I'm getting flashbacks of Dexter McCluster coming out, some Reggie Bush. I see a style that won't work very well in the Pros as a RB -- he definitely is a change-up guy. 

Like McCluster, I see a smoothness cutting but a lack of acceleration. That's gonna limit him against NFL athletes. He'll have to be a WR primarily and while I imagine he'll be fantastic in the slot, I'm not for drafting slot WRs without deep speed in the top 20.

Reggie Bush was a WR forced to play RB. I think McCaffrey is a RB who is an excellent WR

Dude is looking to make a roster spot.  There's generally 2 WRs on the field to 1 RB, and WR careers can be much longer.  It's good business, but not the find of the draft.

If he's such a great playmaker and matchup nightmare, would anyone start him over Davis / Williams / Ross?

Sox he was a RB......I think he has the skill set to do what Pryor is doing now.  He is not an X but he would be amazing in the slot.  He can still play RB in a pinch......think Westbrook or Montegomery last yr.  I dont see him in TN but I think he is the type of kid JRob loves.  Productive , smart and played a ton on college.

6 hours ago, titanruss said:

People need to quit the BS that smaller backs cant handle the load or will get beat up. 

It's failed logic and complete crap. 

Smaller backs tend to last LONGER than big big backs (6'1"+ 225+). Look at walter peyton, faulk, dunn, CJ, westbrook, curtis martin, tony dorsett. tiki barber....

a hell of a lot of times 5-10 195-205 has been just as good if not better than the "prototypical" 5-11 225

This kid will be 5'11 215 after a season or two in the NFL. 

That is a thick slot receiver. He's going to punish people. A thicker hines ward out of the slot. 

It's not a size thing with me. His size is fine. I just don't think he'll be an elite RB1 in the NFL. I think he's Reggie Bush at best.

12 minutes ago, patsplat said:

Bush was overrated though, as is McCaffrey.  RB1s aren't gadget guys, they are brutes who get 1 yard when you really need it.  McCaffrey isn't running through anyone's face.

I wasn't really into draft stuff like that back then, I was too young but I can see how he got over-hyped. The things he did in college I still haven't seen again. 

6 hours ago, titanruss said:

B/C 2 back 2TE sets with him and one athlteic TE can go from a power set to a very good 3WR formation super fast. 

and... Demarco isnt young. 

You'd happily run this kid in the NFL. Players of his size have been doing it for years. Usually longer careers than big backs. 

also... you think antonio brown is a matchup problem?

anotonio brown ran a 4.47 40 at the combine. you think that .02 is what separates the elites? how about short shuttle? .04 secs. long shuttle? mccaffrey wins by .3. 

Mccaffrey is an inch taller and 20 lbs heavier.  

what separates the elites is concentration, hands, film study, routes. I have zero doubts mccaffrey excels in 3 of those and the hands were better than anyone at the combine. 

Antiono Brown is not a match up nightmare in the commonly used sense and he's not even used that way. He just happens to be the best WR in the league which automatically makes him a bad match up for any corner unfortunate enough to end up across from him.Odell Beckham is also not a match up nightmare in the traditional sense of the phrase. A match up nightmare is a guy with a skill-set that forces the defender into unfamiliar waters like a David Johnson who is an elite RB1 that can also split out and destroy a poor LB or SS whose found himself isolated with him in coverage. Another example is a TE like Jimmy Graham who is too big for corners at the catch point and way too fast/athletic for LBs and even most safeties.

No matter how many time people repeat it, McCaffrey isn't that guy. He's going to be drafted as a slot receiver and pretty much play exclusively there with an odd carry or gadget play thrown in here and there. His skill-set just doesn't scream RB1 to me and I wager I'm not the only one because if it did, he wouldn't be out here showcasing his receiving skills. He knows he's going to be a slot. The one thing that could set him apart from other slots is his ability to be a legit RB1 and thus an actual match up problem and because I don't see that ability in him, I don't think he's worth drafting higher than any other really good slot WR prospect. Those guys don't go on day one. Randall Cobb went in the second and T.Y Hilton went in the third that sounds more about right for C-Mac.

2 hours ago, Bongo59 said:

McCaffery has better skills as a WR than Bush.  And people forget Bush was critical in the Saints SB run in 09.  

Not really. It was a wasted pick, and future years showed how it was Brees and that high powered offense that could make skill players look good. Sproles came in and was a much better version than Bush in the same role. 

There's way too much focus on the size and combine times going on here. McCaffery isn't a tackle breaker and he isn't a burner. He's much more like Wright in terms of speed. He's not going to be an everydown RB -- sure CJ was similarly sized, but his durability was unique considering his usage and he was the fastest RB I've ever seen. 

McCaffery is a slot WR who can be a 3rd down/specialty back and returner. If you want that at #18, OK. I personally don't see the value compared to other players available, but don't trick yourself into thinking this guy is our future starter at RB.

2 hours ago, Bongo59 said:

McCaffery has better skills as a WR than Bush.  And people forget Bush was critical in the Saints SB run in 09.  

Bush struggled with injuries. it took a few years for the saints to figure out how to use him. His years in Miami and Detroit were his best. 

1 hour ago, cenj said:

There's way too much focus on the size and combine times going on here. McCaffery isn't a tackle breaker and he isn't a burner. He's much more like Wright in terms of speed. He's not going to be an everydown RB -- sure CJ was similarly sized, but his durability was unique considering his usage and he was the fastest RB I've ever seen. 

McCaffery is a slot WR who can be a 3rd down/specialty back and returner. If you want that at #18, OK. I personally don't see the value compared to other players available, but don't trick yourself into thinking this guy is our future starter at RB.

I agree with most of your 1st paragraph, but you're missing the bigger picture. 

A player doesn't break Barry Sanders' all purpose yard record if he can't break tackles and ankles, and doesn't have good speed.  Is he a true burner?  No.  But he's fast enough to outrun 10 out of 11 guys on most teams, including a lot of ST gunners obviously.  Go watch some more of his tape, the guy's vision is on par with anyone's, and his ability to make cuts in traffic is indisputable.

Good stats are one thing.  Breaking a season yardage record that stood for almost 30 years indicates an exceptional combination of talents.  Especially a record set by a guy that had the career Sanders had.

Edited by TitanDuckFan