The greatness of Christian McCaffery thread

Face

Mccaffrey is 20 lbs heavier than Warrick Dunn, basically the exact same size as CJ, and like 7 lbs lighter than Marshall Faulk. 

This being too small to carry it 20 times a game is a bad argument. 

especially considering the workload he had in college. 

More touches than anyone in the nation over two years. 

Edited by titanruss

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First things first. He's an excellent back whose absolutely electric in the open field. He's NOT a "gadget" player. He's a 15-17 carry a game back with excellent traits....great play speed, all world

How god damn long can they go into a video before they show a real fucking highlight? Shit!

Assuming McCaffery is used as a slot receiver I'm on board

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Huston said:

How is he better then Weems again, was he the best returner in college and I missed it or something.

Well weems isn't that great so... 

still rather have him than Mariani but I wouldn't assume he couldn't pretty easily be upgraded. . 

He can allow us to go with two RB's and he can be the slot WR and ST ace.......that saves us a roster spot......I like that about him because he can be the third back on this team and with 29 and 22 he'll never see the run carries........his 3 cone numbers are sick.......he'd be crazy good slot guy.  

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2017/03/23/christian-mccaffrey-wide-receiver-running-back-stanford-pro-day/99553806/#

Showing he can line up in the slot or outside as a wide receiver and highlighting his value as a special teams player could help McCaffrey bolster his stock in a deep running back class. LSU's Leonard Fournette and Florida State's Dalvin Cook are also expected to be first-round selections.

McCaffrey has spent time in the past two months working with former NFL wide receiver Brandon Stokley to learn about the intricacies of the slot receiver position, and focused in the days leading up to his pro day on running routes with the help of his father, former NFL receiver Ed McCaffrey.

“I wanted to make sure they know I can run routes from slot and outside,” McCaffrey told reporters following his pro day workout, according to the Bay Area News Group.

McCaffrey and defensive end Solomon Thomas were the top attractions at Stanford’s pro day, which attracted representatives from all 32 NFL teams, including head coaches Ron Rivera of the Carolina Panthers and Kyle Shanahan of the San Francisco 49ers. Thomas is expected to be in consideration for the Niners with the No. 2 overall pick.

I'd gladly draft McCaffrey at 18. I'll say it again it's all about match ups and McCaffrey can cause alot of mismatches. Everybody is obsessed about labeling what positions these players are. It's not about that.Same reason I like Howard, you can line up McCaffrey in several positions.

Edited by headhunter

I really don't see how McCaffrey is going to be this match-up nightmare for the Titans. At 6'0, running a 4.49 40 McCaffrey isn't any more of a mis-match for slot corners than most other slots in the NFL. In fact his height/weight/speed combo is fairly common for an NFL slot and he isn't really offering nickel CBs anything they haven't seen/dealt with before.

His ability to create mismatches would be out of the backfield on swing/texas/flat routes or splitting out of the backfield to force single coverage against a base defense vs a LB or SS. This is indeed a mis-match but in Tennessee, to accomplish this we likely have to take Demarco or Derrick off the field for. If we try to keep one of those guys on and just split McCaffrrey out the defense would just go nickel and negate the advantage (though it's helpful if we run). We could get creative and have packages where both McCaffrey and Demarco/Derrick line up in the back field but we then motion McCaffrey out to try to get that one on one vs a LB or S. This may work a few times but teams will pick up on it quickly and adjust. I really don't like the idea of our stud RBs possibly losing snaps because we have to manufacture touches for McCaffrey out of the backfield.  

The only way I see him being this weapon X is if he establishes himself as a truly great/good RB1 in the league and you have to play him honest. Now you can't just assume the team is passing due to McCaffrey's presence.He pretty much has to be like David Johnson. I doubt his ability to be a legit RB1 in this league and even if he does become one, we're already kinda back-logged at the position. I just don't see the fit. I'm not an X's and O's guy at heart so if you see it differently please chime in.

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

I really don't see how McCaffrey is going to be this match-up nightmare for the Titans. At 6'0, running a 4.49 40 McCaffrey isn't any more of a mis-match for slot corners than most other slots in the NFL. In fact his height/weight/speed combo is fairly common for an NFL slot and he isn't really offering nickel CBs anything they haven't seen/dealt with before.

His ability to create mismatches would be out of the backfield on swing/texas/flat routes or splitting out of the backfield to force single coverage against a base defense vs a LB or SS. This is indeed a mis-match but in Tennessee, to accomplish this we likely have to take Demarco or Derrick off the field for. If we try to keep one of those guys on and just split McCaffrrey out the defense would just go nickel and negate the advantage (though it's helpful if we run). We could get creative and have packages where both McCaffrey and Demarco/Derrick line up in the back field but we then motion McCaffrey out to try to get that one on one vs a LB or S. This may work a few times but teams will pick up on it quickly and adjust. I really don't like the idea of our stud RBs possibly losing snaps because we have to manufacture touches for McCaffrey out of the backfield.  

The only way I see him being this weapon X is if he establishes himself as a truly great/good RB1 in the league and you have to play him honest. Now you can't just assume the team is passing due to McCaffrey's presence.He pretty much has to be like David Johnson. I doubt his ability to be a legit RB1 in this league and even if he does become one, we're already kinda back-logged at the position. I just don't see the fit. I'm not an X's and O's guy at heart so if you see it differently please chime in.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

4 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

B/C 2 back 2TE sets with him and one athlteic TE can go from a power set to a very good 3WR formation super fast. 

and... Demarco isnt young. 

You'd happily run this kid in the NFL. Players of his size have been doing it for years. Usually longer careers than big backs. 

also... you think antonio brown is a matchup problem?

anotonio brown ran a 4.47 40 at the combine. you think that .02 is what separates the elites? how about short shuttle? .04 secs. long shuttle? mccaffrey wins by .3. 

Mccaffrey is an inch taller and 20 lbs heavier.  

what separates the elites is concentration, hands, film study, routes. I have zero doubts mccaffrey excels in 3 of those and the hands were better than anyone at the combine. 

Edited by titanruss

People need to quit the BS that smaller backs cant handle the load or will get beat up. 

It's failed logic and complete crap. 

Smaller backs tend to last LONGER than big big backs (6'1"+ 225+). Look at walter peyton, faulk, dunn, CJ, westbrook, curtis martin, tony dorsett. tiki barber....

a hell of a lot of times 5-10 195-205 has been just as good if not better than the "prototypical" 5-11 225

This kid will be 5'11 215 after a season or two in the NFL. 

That is a thick slot receiver. He's going to punish people. A thicker hines ward out of the slot. 

On 3/16/2017 at 7:01 AM, cenj said:

The more I watch of him, the more worried I get. I'm getting flashbacks of Dexter McCluster coming out, some Reggie Bush. I see a style that won't work very well in the Pros as a RB -- he definitely is a change-up guy. 

Like McCluster, I see a smoothness cutting but a lack of acceleration. That's gonna limit him against NFL athletes. He'll have to be a WR primarily and while I imagine he'll be fantastic in the slot, I'm not for drafting slot WRs without deep speed in the top 20.

dexter mccluster is 5.9 172 

over 30 lbs less and 2" shorter and a full tenth of a second slower in the 40

they are nothing alike other than in college they were used in a lot of ways.