Portable devices not working on Windows?

9 Nines

In case anyone else has had a similar problem with USB connected devices.

I add podcasts to my Walkman every Saturday.  Could not connect my Walkman today.   I found out that a Microsoft update caused it.  It can affect tablets, phones and other portable devices.  The update causes Windows to install incorrect drivers for affected devices 

Solution:  You have to force a roll back of the driver for an affected device then delete the errant OEM driver that the Microsoft update added so it will not be applied again.

Here are the detailed instructions per Microsoft:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/after-installing-a-driver-update-microsoft-wpd/9f900903-50d8-4935-939d-5dbf8d6bd1d0

I ignored method 1 (I did not do the system restore) but followed both part 1 and part 2, of method 2, and the process worked and my Walkman now connects. 

1 hour ago, patsplat said:

... and this is why even though Mac OS X hasn't really been updated in years, I'll still get a Mac

I just switched back to Mac after 8 years. The quality of the office suite finally caught up with the core offering on PC, Visio not withstanding. The 2016 macbook pro is awesome. Fair warning though, the adjustment to only having usb-c can be painful and costly if you aren't prepared for it.

Initially, when I saw Walkman, I thought Nines was being funny and intentionally being misleading to get people to troubleshoot a Windows XP or even ME issue? I didn't realize Sony was still making Walkmans.

Archived