(bumped) Titans Re-sign Cassel ($5.25 million, 2yrs)

Mercalius

On 3/2/2017 at 9:33 PM, TitansFan23 said:

Bottom line: If Marcus goes down again, we're done. NOD took the Steelers to the Super Bowl. Collins took the Giants to the Super Bowl. Cassel hasn't taken a team to shit; neither has Hoyer or any other backup QB we could get.

There is one unsigned FA QB who took a team to the Superbowl... :-)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bleh

Meh.

The nice thing about ice cold takes is they can cure you of MRSA.

Do other fanbases talk this much about backup QBs? I feel like this is a Titans thing because of Steve McNair.

I always feel that backup QBs are a waste of time. If we lose our starter more than a week we're done. A backup is AT BEST good for second-half surprise win. 

Edited by big2033

13 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Do other fanbases talk this much about backup QBs? I feel like this is a Titans thing because of Steve McNair.

I always feel that backup QBs are a waste of time. If we lose our starter more than a week we're done. A backup is AT BEST good for second-half surprise win. 

Ask the Cowboys if they care about their backup when Romo went down or the Pats when Bledsoe went down as well. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Ask the Cowboys if they care about their backup when Romo went down or the Pats when Bledsoe went down as well. 

So we need our backup to be good enough to ditch Mariota?

Well shit ... we should've used a 1st rounder on one I guess.

Or used a pick we used on Jonnu Smith or Taylor and drafted one high and hope they become either of those guys ... 

Edited by big2033

3 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

He had no problem in NE when they had a solid team.

Lol

And he was ten years younger

cassel fucking sux

he was statistically worse or as bad as mett In Metts last season and he was on a STACKED cowboys team

Edited by 52O

"nobody knew cassel would be so bad" -- OMAN/trump

Nice anecdote from Cassel's time in Dallas right before we signed him. He was terrible then and is even worse now. Robinson was a retard for bringing him in initially, and brain dead for resigning him.

On Cassel's last play before being benched for Moore, he became the first quarterback in over twelve years to throw an interception that was also flagged for intentional grounding.

Edited by Titans279

11 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

On Cassel's last play before being benched for Moore, he became the first quarterback in over twelve years to throw an interception that was also flagged for intentional grounding.

This is real?

5 minutes ago, Titansgoodluckcharm said:

Definitely disagree with this. Definitely.

It's an depth issue. Pure and simple. There are many capable backups who could win you football games. Cough. We get beat by some every year. Even if its just a quarter having a capable backup can get you a win. If you need depth for every other position, why not for arguably your most important

And how do you build that depth exactly? I take you generally try to draft one and build him up. We drafted Mett... then drafted Mariota. Kept Mett to be his backup ...sucked. Drafted Tanney ... injured. Signed a vet to help Mariota learn the offense. 

How much should we invest in this position? Should we spend a 4th rounder when we're a year removed from having one of the worst rosters in the NFL? Waste some picks on a position that SHOULDNT see the field.

Most playoff teams ... don't really have serviceable backups. They have QBs who don't get injured very much.

Do we need to re-invest ... yes. Should we be making it a priority before the 4th round? No. Should we let it affect our cap. No.

Did EJ Manuel light up the field? He was 13-26.

Edited by big2033

2 minutes ago, Titansgoodluckcharm said:

Cassel wasn't as terrible as I expected. He played well enough to win the game. A TD called back and a TD given away with what they called a fumble. Didn't think it should've been ruled that initially on the play. If the Dolphins had to challenge it I think they would've lost.

With that said, he could be a 3rd stringer. Play him a lot in pre-season and draft for a backup.

You just killed your own argument.

6 minutes ago, big2033 said:

And how do you build that depth exactly? I take you generally try to draft one and build him up. We drafted Mett... then drafted Mariota. Kept Mett to be his backup ...sucked. Drafted Tanney ... injured. Signed a vet to help Mariota learn the offense. 

How much should we invest in this position? Should we spend a 4th rounder when we're a year removed from having one of the worst rosters in the NFL? Waste some picks on a position that SHOULDNT see the field.

Most playoff teams ... don't really have serviceable backups. They have QBs who don't get injured very much.

Do we need to re-invest ... yes. Should we be making it a priority before the 4th round? No. Should we let it affect our cap. No.

Did EJ Manuel light up the field? He was 13-26.

Stop being reasonable

1 minute ago, Titansgoodluckcharm said:

Depends on your team.

I'd say in our situation we need to draft depth. If we have the luxury maybe a 2nd rounder. But you can get guys who have certain traits later. We don't have a ton of holes and young guys in positions to step up. For us we have 2 years to do that because we could get a serviceable backup in the offseason. Draft based on need and luxury (if we see someone who is special).

We could draft...

1 DT/LB

2 QB

3 DE/LB

Sims and Adoree are young. Casey can still play. Woodyard and Williamson too. We could draft a great LB or DT in the 1st. Mobile QB in the 2nd. And get a need in the 3rd that could still be elite (not to say lower draft picks couldn't be either).

If you're smart in the offseason it would give you 3 good backup options at QB in year 2. 

Lol. Goodnight.

5 hours ago, big2033 said:

yeah it makes no sense... why would we ever think about backup QBs in Tennessee at all???

Certainly these fools dont suggest its because our last 4 highly drafted Running QBs happen to randomly-and-obviously-in-no-relation-to-the running-whatsoever - be injury prone. They could never be injury prone! Running QBs dont get hurt any more than regular QBs.... and theres no such thing as injury prone anyway!