Texans Not Expected to Tag Bouye

Jonboy

Although the Texans ideally would like to retain free agent cornerback A.J. Bouye and hammer out a contract extension, a relatively tight salary-cap situation is expected to preclude them from designating him as their franchise player.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-unlikely-to-use-franchise-tag-10934353.php

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even if we don't sign him, a divisional foe losing a top defensive player always sounds good to me.

I like Bouye, but i don't care how good he was last year, you don't pay a guy with less than one season starting at a high level 12-14 mil a year, and i'm confident JRob will take the same approach. 

If we want a CB1, it'll never be cheap. Even if we draft one, you're still going to have to pay him like one eventually if you want to keep him. Tired of going after CB2 and CB3 types. If we actually

17 minutes ago, MariGOATa said:

Good. Tony Jefferson won't get tagged either since they said they should tag Jones. Those two would be huge for us. 

Harmon is another S we could look at. Might have the edge over Jefferson considering JR was still there when NE drafted him and might have played a big role in that pick

Edited by socaltitan

I have a feeling our approach to FA will be similar to last year. Last year it was one big move (Murray trade), a couple mid-tier signings (Matthews, Ben Jones) and a bunch of small depth moves (Spence, Blake, McCain, etc)

I think our big move we will try to make is one of the top CB. Then I think we'll try to add a few mid-tier guys on the defensive side (SS, ILB) then some depth moves (WR, CB, OLB, DE)

Tony Jefferson is a real good player, destroys the running game & solid in coverage, he's a pure SS. 

Im wondering how they see Byard, as more of a ball hawking FS or do everything SS, because he showed in the running game & in blitzing a lot more than his scouting report projected.

I believe DLB uses more of an interchangeable safety approach, where both guys can do anything, rather than a clear FS & SS. But if Byard winds up our SS, say if we draft Hooker, he'll have huge range for a SS. But I think Jefferson is a great fit here, unless they want to give Searcy another year.

2 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Even if we don't sign him, a divisional foe losing a top defensive player always sounds good to me.

It will be interesting to see if JRob makes a play for him. It would be unPatriot like to shell out the $14-16 mil. The guy is good but he's a little unproven. Part of his success could be Texans defense and schemes.

21 minutes ago, Face said:

Tony Jefferson is a real good player, destroys the running game & solid in coverage, he's a pure SS. 

Im wondering how they see Byard, as more of a ball hawking FS or do everything SS, because he showed in the running game & in blitzing a lot more than his scouting report projected.

I believe DLB uses more of an interchangeable safety approach, where both guys can do anything, rather than a clear FS & SS. But if Byard winds up our SS, say if we draft Hooker, he'll have huge range for a SS. But I think Jefferson is a great fit here, unless they want to give Searcy another year.

I like Jefferson a lot...and he will be available [no chance he's tagged] ..Searcy would make a nice backup but we have to get better at SS and CB. Another guy who would be a nice fit, would be TJ McDonald another hard hitting SS..who would cost a little less!