Something I think we've forgotten too quickly

Face

is how awful our corners were last year. It seems like all the talk is about which of the 2 safeties, or which of the 2 WR's we should pick. Then there's some Reuben Foster talk, Solomon Thomas, etc. Which was all fine at first, because we didn't think there was a corner worth taking at 5. But with Lattimore apparently being worth maybe even a top 2 pick I almost think he has to be the guy. People are just raving about his traits more than any pure corner I've seen in a long time. 

I know the arguments against & some are sound, DLB teams never picking 1st rd corners, etc. But he's not the GM & is pushing 80, I seriously doubt he'll have much if any say in the 5th pick. Also, DLB isn't running the same D as he used to. He plays much more man & pattern man than the zone he used to. At least last year he basically played an aggressive, blitzing, man defense....and our corners clearly couldn't hang.

The film doesn't lie, our corners were clearly the worst unit on the team, by a landslide. We had a good, balanced offense & good pass rush, but we all watched, plain as day, our corners get scorched week after week. IMO we win the division by a game or two if we had even decent corners.

Obviosuly a Hooker or Adams can mitigate the weakness but in my mind we need to directly fix it. Fortunately the position is extremely deep if Lattimore is picked already or we go elsewhere. But I think he needs to be the guy if there.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CB is a much bigger need than S, but if they feel Hooker/Adams have elite ability, you don't force a CB who doesn't. 

I bet the Titans will sign some notable defensive backs in free agency, and I'd venture to guess by the time draft time rolls around, the secondary won't be as much of a glaring weakness. 

Oh I haven't forgotten. I just think that corner is so deep in the draft this year a lot of people aren't expecting us to take one in the first round. hence why the discussion is on other positions th

Safety may not technically be a bigger need in terms of talent quantity at corner, but it's not just about talent at a position. If Adams helps the defense overall more than Lattimore then Adams should be the guy, even if Lattimore is a great player.

The secondary needs a leader, not just talent. Adams has both those qualities. A leader can go a long way toward minimizing other deficiencies.

Fwiw, we haven't even hit free agency yet. The need at corner could go away pretty quickly.

I'm pretty confident CB will be addressed at some point. I'm more interested in who will make the defense as a whole be better. A true lockdown corner would do that but those guys aren't easy to find. I think a guy like Foster or Adams would instantly upgrade or defense. With CBs it's hard to find a guy that steps on the field as a day 1 lockdown guy. I think we add someone at CB in FA that will start and hopefully someone in the draft that can play in the nickel. 

15 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

With CBs it's hard to find a guy that steps on the field as a day 1 lockdown guy. I think we add someone at CB in FA that will start and hopefully someone in the draft that can play in the nickel. 

That's what I'm hoping for. Get someone who can step in and be a CB1 now. I'd rather have a CB with some experience like a T Johnson, Bouye, or Gilmore who's already shown he can be a CB1 for us then count on a rookie to do that

I can't think of many rookie CB in recent memory who stepped in from day 1 and was an immediate CB1 lockdown stud. Usually it takes a few years. Guys like Bouye and Josh Norman took time to develop.

Edited by socaltitan

CB can be easily filled with one FA.......then you just need one in the draft and this draft is loaded.  IT is not that big a deal for me.  S is way hard fill here.  There are not many S that can both play pass and run and be the QB of the D.  

I could see us trading down for picks if we don't like a game changer at 5.

I can also see, at minimum, a good veteran corner signed in FA and a decent draft prospect added at corner through the draft.

We have so much cap space and draft picks, we should be able to inject at least 2 new corners into the mix.

The D, specifically the secondary has to be fixed because of the division we play in.  We will never have an easy time with Indy because of their QB and WR.  Our divisional foes know to beat us you have to throw..........and they have and it has been successful.  You can bitch and moan all you want about a WR or a TE but this team needs two big studs in the back 7 this yr to play and win the division.