2017 NFL Draft Rumors & Buzz OT

Jonboy

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Corey Davis on Russilo & Kanell just a bit ago.. "Who is your Favourite QB"?   Davis - Marcus Mariota.     

TitansReport.com, where all NFL journalists are hacks and have no sources. 

Posted Images

10 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

The Titans played 2 TE sets the most and 3 TE sets the 2nd most last season out of all formations.

Why would Walker have to sit down if they drafted Howard?

There has been talk that the thinking that Howard would start in two TE formations is a stretch. He'd sub for Walker early ... while Fasano is used an elite TE blocker.

Essentially, think how the Chargers used their high TE pick last year. We may ... may ... be be getting ahead ourselves in thinking we can run a two-TE attack with a rookie.

Also, the two TE attack may have been out of necessity with our lack of elite WRs ... not because that's the formation we want to use the most.

EDIT: Here it is from PK and he makes some good points. Including how touted Fasano is as a blocker.

"Anthony Fasano is on the verge of free agency and is coming off a season where he ranked as Pro Football Focus’ top blocking tight end.

The run-centered Titans need more weapons for Marcus Mariota. But it's hard to envision them playing much with two tight ends without one of them functioning largely as a blocker.

ESPN.com's scouting report on Howard says the 6-foot-5 3/4, 248-pound TE has gotten far better as a blocker. You'd certainly expect versatility out of a first-round tight end, but no one is spending such a value pick on a blocker.

General manager Jon Robinson didn’t hesitate to double up at running back last year, when he used the Titans’ third second-round pick, 45th overall, to take Alabama’s Derrick Henry. That came within a couple months of a trade that brought veteran back DeMarco Murray to Nashville.

Henry did good work as a rookie, turning 110 carries into 490 yards and five touchdowns.

But Murray got 62 percent of the carries to Henry’s 23 percent.

If the Titans were to draft Howard, as long as Walker remains healthy, the rookie would very likely get limited work as a rookie, just as Henry did."

Edited by big2033

4 minutes ago, Righteous said:

Only on this board is he a top 10 pick.  In reality he is a late first to second round prospect.  Always has been.

That's actually not true. Right or wrong there have been a lot of analysts including Daniel Jeremiah that have rated him in the top 20.

28 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Also, the two TE attack may have been out of necessity with our lack of elite WRs ... not because that's the formation we want to use the most.

The article that showed these stats also showed the formations were in line with what Mularkey had done over his entire career and not just this past season.

As for how Howard would be used as a rookie, that would be up to the coaches I guess but Walker has maybe two season left anyway

25 minutes ago, big2033 said:

That's actually not true. Right or wrong there have been a lot of analysts including Daniel Jeremiah that have rated him in the top 20.

They are analysts, not scouts.  Jeremiah had Myles Jack, Reggie Ragland, Jarran Reed, A'Shawn Robinson, Noah Spence, Mackenzie Alexander, Kevin Dodd in the first in 2016.

In 2015, he had Randy Gregory, TJ Clemmings, Bernardrick McKinney, Dorial Beckham Green, Eli Harold, Denzel Perryman, Jalen Strong and PJ Williams as first rounders.  Don't put your faith in analysts.

Edited by Righteous

26 minutes ago, Righteous said:

They are analysts, not scouts.  Jeremiah had Myles Jack, Reggie Ragland, Jarran Reed, A'Shawn Robinson, Noah Spence, Mackenzie Alexander, Kevin Dodd in the first in 2016.

In 2015, he had Randy Gregory, TJ Clemmings, Bernardrick McKinney, Dorial Beckham Green, Eli Harold, Denzel Perryman, Jalen Strong and PJ Williams as first rounders.  Don't put your faith in analysts.

QUOTE:

56 minutes ago, Righteous said:

Only on this board is he a top 10 pick.  In reality he is a late first to second round prospect.  Always has been.

43 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

The article that showed these stats also showed the formations were in line with what Mularkey had done over his entire career and not just this past season.

As for how Howard would be used as a rookie, that would be up to the coaches I guess but Walker has maybe two season left anyway

I like Howard a lot ... it's amazing that at TE, this guy may be faster than Mike Williams at WR. But if he's being drafted simply as a replacement for Walker it doesn't make sense for us right now, especially with the depth at TE.

If we draft Howard in the first, he has to play a lot. But as that piece pointed out, there may be no room for him as a regular contributor. Fasano was on the field in two-te sets mostly for his elite blocking. It may be all we need from the second TE on this team.

Just something to keep in mind ... as these statements aren't 100% guaranteed.

But what PK says makes a lot of sense. Considering Fasano was used predominantly as a blocker and he was one of the best at it.

Edited by big2033

23 minutes ago, socaltitan said:

Jeremiah is a former scout

Yes.  Charlie Casserly is a former GM.  So is Ryan Grigson and so is Ruston Webster.  If they wrote a list of top NFL prospects, would you trust it?  Or would you ask, why are they former in the first place?

9 minutes ago, big2033 said:

I like Howard a lot ... it's amazing that at TE, this guy may be faster than Mike Williams at WR. But if he's being drafted simply as a replacement for Walker it doesn't make sense for us right now, especially with the depth at TE.

If we draft Howard in the first, he has to play a lot. But as that piece pointed out, there may be no room for him as a regular contributor. Fasano was on the field in two-te sets mostly for his elite blocking. It may be all we need from the second TE on this team.

But what PK says makes a lot of sense. Considering Fasano was used predominantly as a blocker and he was one of the best at it.

Kuharsky asked Robinson and Mularkey separately about getting younger at TE and both gave very non-committal answers. If we do draft a TE, it'll probably be a developmental type.

This has been pointed out before, but I'll say it again. Both JR and MM pretty much told us what they were going to do last year and did it. Fix the run game. Protect Mariota. They're pretty transparent. I've yet to see anything that suggests TE is high on their wishlist. I like Howard, but I don't see it. If the Titans want to draft TE early, I think they would've clued us into it by now. It's pretty apparent WR is much higher on their agenda.

Edited by socaltitan

7 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Who says he'd have to play a lot? I think simply taking Supernaw's role as a rookie would be fine as he learned. Walker is 32 and Fasano 34.

Besides that with his skill set they would get him on the field.

I heard PK discuss it on the radio and thought he was way off the mark. He compared drafting Howard to drafting Henry after they had Murray. First of all Henry made a ton of sense and they can play multiple TEs

• Jonboy unpinned this topic