MALIK HOOKER, S, Ohio State

6'2, 205 lbs, Sophomore

Round Projection: 1st

7-2-530x353.jpg

Stats

2016- 74 tackles, 5.5 for loss, 7 INT, 3TD, 4 PD

2015- 10 tackles

Who is Malik Hooker?

Hooker wasn’t talked about nationally as much as many other players, but there’s no question he was one of the best defensive players in the nation this past season. He was a complete player as a redshirt sophomore, and has drawn comparisons to arguably the best NFL safety of all time, Ed Reed.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2017/1/18/14311360/ohio-state-news-malik-hooker-nfl-draft-thad-matta

Better known for his abilities on the basketball court at New Castle High School, Hooker tried out for the football team as a junior and major college programs like Ohio State started to take notice. He redshirted in 2014 and struggled to adapt to the demands of major college football, almost quitting and transferring to a smaller college closer to home to play basketball - Urban Meyer credits Hooker's mother (Angela Dennis) for not allowing him to quit. Hooker stayed in Columbus and trusted the coaches, playing in all 13 games as a special teamer in 2015 with plenty of hype coming from his performance in practice.

Despite starting for only one season in Columbus, Hooker quickly created NFL buzz. When evaluating the safety position, scouts are looking for three main traits: range, instincts and tackling skills. And Hooker has the ability to be above average in all three areas. 

Gifted athlete with impressive blend of burst, body control and reflexes. Outstanding play speed, covering a lot of green. Magnet to the ball due to his cover awareness, field vision and range. Transfers weight to smoothly open his hips, turn and run without gearing down. Impressive lower body explosion and leaping skills. Unique timing/anticipation to break on the ball and make plays most defensive backs don't. Elite ballskills with the innate ability to find, judge and disrupt the catch point.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2139273/malik-hooker

Cutups

vs Nebraska http://draftbreakdown.com/video/malik-hooker-vs-nebraska-2016/

vs Clemson http://draftbreakdown.com/video/malik-hooker-vs-clemson-2016/

vs Wisconsin http://draftbreakdown.com/video/malik-hooker-vs-wisconsin-2016/

Highlights

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly I think it's a little early in the game to know 100% on how JRob grades and evaluates players. Chill with the "he won't do this and will do that."

Byard would likely play high FS if Adams is drafted and SS if Hooker is drafted, the good thing is he can do both 

I really hope those less familiar with Bongo at draftime are ignoring this.  Hooker isn't terrible at tackling. In fact, he often flies to the play from deep in the secondary. His recognition and

Actually learned a few things I didn't know about Hooker when I worked on this one. Had no idea about his history as a bball player and nearly quitting football. 

As good as he looked in 1 year, something tells me Robinson may shy away from him given he only had 1 year of production and there could be uncertainty about how much he loves football. 

He can cover centerfield like crazy. I expect him to run very, very well at the combine. 

Against Clemson is the best mashup. Ohio state respected the pass more and had him playing more of a NFL safety role. They condensed the field a lot against lesser opponents. 

He does seem to take some bad angles when defending the run or run after catch. His range and ball skills are amazing though.

20 minutes ago, Dmeade- said:

He does seem to take some bad angles when defending the run or run after catch. His range and ball skills are amazing though.

Maybe just how undersized Power Forwards are trying to make it as TEs in the NFL, maybe rangy centerfielders who can't hit the curveball should try out as NFL Free Safeties.

3 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

Maybe just how undersized Power Forwards are trying to make it as TEs in the NFL, maybe rangy centerfielders who can't hit the curveball should try out as NFL Free Safeties.

I take it you don't like Hooker? Lol

2 minutes ago, Dmeade- said:

I take it you don't like Hooker? Lol

No actually I just mocked him to us at 1-5 in my latest no-trade mock. It's my least favorite mock though but not because of him-- just the dearth of selections by sticking at 1-5...

My comment was just to suggest an alternative career path in one of the lucrative professions of professional sport.

Edited by charleytolar

For what it's worth, his highlights are full of great stuff for such a short time starter. Hard to imagine what 3 years worth would look like. He is a playmaker for sure, something Titans fans have been asking for on defensive for a long time. Maybe the team has to roll the dice a bit to get it.

12 minutes ago, OzTitan said:

For what it's worth, his highlights are full of great stuff for such a short time starter. Hard to imagine what 3 years worth would look like. He is a playmaker for sure, something Titans fans have been asking for on defensive for a long time. Maybe the team has to roll the dice a bit to get it.

Exactly. That's the argument. What's the risk/reward when it comes to flashes of greatness, but on limited production? That's what JRob has to decide.