Mike Tomlin never gets proper respect.

Number9

It's very hard not to win when you have Ben Roethlisberger as your QB.

Even with him he's had a lack of success for the most part in the last 7 seasons in the playoffs (and he's missed them 3 times in that stretch) and he hasn't had one real marque victory in the playoffs.  Look at his wins.  On the way to the Super Bowl they beat an 8-8 team, the Ravens led by rookie in Joe Flacco and a 9-7 team.  When they went in 2010 they beat the Ravens at home again and a team led by Mark Sanchez.  In both seasons the Steelers had the #2 seed and lucked out in the #1 seed losing their first playoff game.  He was also the coach of the team that lost to the Tim Tebow-led Broncos.  You can't forget that.

This game is a major step up in class for Tomlin.  If the Steelers can win then Tomlin makes a statement.  Until then he's just another guy with a superstar at QB without impressive victories in the playoffs.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is anyone surprised Scine doesn't like Tomlin? 

I think often people have issues they can't see.  We Americans are programed to be suspicious of black people.  I know because I ask God, why would I be? Pete Carroll is labeled a top coach.  The

This thread is a pointless race bait post. Tag who you are talking about. He doesn't have enough haters to tag the whole community.  And for the record Tomlin looks like Omar Epps.

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Even with him he's had a lack of success for the most part in the last 7 seasons in the playoffs (and he's missed them 3 times in that stretch) and he hasn't had one real marque victory in the playoffs.  Look at his wins.  On the way to the Super Bowl they beat an 8-8 team, the Ravens led by rookie in Joe Flacco and a 9-7 team.  When they went in 2010 they beat the Ravens at home again and a team led by Mark Sanchez.  In both seasons the Steelers had the #2 seed and lucked out in the #1 seed losing their first playoff game.  He was also the coach of the team that lost to the Tim Tebow-led Broncos.  You can't forget that.

This game is a major step up in class for Tomlin.  If the Steelers can win then Tomlin makes a statement.  Until then he's just another guy with a superstar at QB without impressive victories in the playoffs.

Wow.  You set an easy mark for Tomlin.  Go beat BB in NE.  I think he will, but I don't see that as the only way he can prove how good of a coach he is.  The Rooney's are some of the smartest and most powerful owners in the league.  I'll give you one guess who they have coaching the Steelers.

His team will come to play.  They won't be sleepwalking through a half even though they have to travel-travel with less rest.  Big Ben is the Steelers QB.  But Tom Brady is the QB of NE.  Winning consistently year after year is about more than just having BB as QB.  The Steelers sustain injuries just like other teams.  But they bring it because they have a coach who can fire them up.  

23 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Wow.  You set an easy mark for Tomlin.  Go beat BB in NE.  I think he will, but I don't see that as the only way he can prove how good of a coach he is.  The Rooney's are some of the smartest and most powerful owners in the league.  I'll give you one guess who they have coaching the Steelers.

His team will come to play.  They won't be sleepwalking through a half even though they have to travel-travel with less rest.  Big Ben is the Steelers QB.  But Tom Brady is the QB of NE.  Winning consistently year after year is about more than just having BB as QB.  The Steelers sustain injuries just like other teams.  But they bring it because they have a coach who can fire them up.  

He hasn't proven a thing IMO.  Let's see him win this week. 

4 minutes ago, scine09 said:

He hasn't proven a thing IMO.  Let's see him win this week. 

Mike Tomlin has coached ten years.  Bill Belichick's winning percentage is .673.  Mike Tomlin's is .644.  The difference is NE plays NYJ, Miami and Buffalo.  The Steelers have to play Baltimore, Cincy and Cleveland.  Very much tougher schedule than BB.  

3 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Mike Tomlin has coached ten years.  Bill Belichick's winning percentage is .673.  Mike Tomlin's is .644.  The difference is NE plays NYJ, Miami and Buffalo.  The Steelers have to play Baltimore, Cincy and Cleveland.  Very much tougher schedule than BB.  

Yup. Cuz the east has always been a pushover, just like the Bengals have always been this competitive? It's funny that you mention 10 years and only refer to probably less than half of that time to prove your point.

Jets were fantastic and dolphins were mediocre for half the time. Bill's fall under the mediocre category.

Browns have consistently been one of the worst teams in football, Bengals mediocre for the better part of a decade. Ravens are the only consistently good team of the 6 you mention. 

2 hours ago, scine09 said:

LOL at it all boiling down to THIS game. You sound like you just started watching football this year with this statement. As if Tomlin doesn't already have a Super Bowl win as well as an addition SB appearance. 

And by your logic no coach in these playoffs is great, except for maybe Dan Quinn because each team besides Atlanta fields Super Bowl winning QBs.

I just remember when so many here predicted that the Steelers would fall off and stop winning because LeBeau left, yet the Steelers kept on winning. He's been winning with different coaches and coordinators. People want to say he inherited a SB team, but that was what, 10 years ago? That holds no weight anymore. Again, by that logic more teams should be doing what he's doing. But the Steelers have been the only team besides New England, the Giants (to some degree), Denver, and Green Bay that have consistently been competitive for throughout that time period years. The only players that remain from when Tomlin took over are Big Ben and James Harrison... Now if you want to make the argument that Big Ben is underrated for achieving similar success that Brady, the Mannings, and Rodgers have then I'm fine with that. But no other coach gets knocked for having a great QB except for Tomlin when he's demonstrated that he's a bonafide top coach in this league despite every argument thrown at him to disprove that fact.

Edited by titansfan