Falcons First Two Draft Picks SS/OLB Pay Off Big In '16

MIKE75

Hope our GM JRob has been doing his homework lately seeing whats working and not working in the NFL these days.....

Well what IS working is rookie first round SS Keanu Neal and second round OLB Deion Jones of the Atlanta Falcons defense.

Atlanta's GM Thomas Dimitroff went defense with his first two picks and has been rewarded in the process.

Neal has 72 tackles,9 pass deflections,5 forced fumbles with 1 recovery.

Jones has 75 tackles,11 pass deflections,3 interceptions and 2 were pick sixes and he took one of those 90 yards.

Jones also had an interception in last night's win against Seattle.....

The Falcons gave up more points then we did. Scoring 540 points is a pretty sure bet to get you into the playoffs....

Look, every year it's easy to point out what good teams did & try to emulate it. But the bottom line is they all do the same thing....find good players, with a reasonable but not obsessive focus on need areas.

One thing that people need to keep in mind is that this is a deep defensive draft and moreover, it's particularly deep in positions that are easier to find quality starters at later in the draft (LB, S). This, coupled with where the depth lies in FA, could play into which positions are drafted early IF player grades are close.

E.g., if Reuben Foster (or Adams or whoever) has a 9.6 grade and Mike Williams has a 9.5 grade, Williams could be the pick since the draft and FA are weak at the WR position. 

However, if Foster (or whoever) has a 9.6 grade and Williams/Barnett have a 9.0 grade, knowing JRob and co., they'd go with the clear cut BPA regardless of other factors. 

While I'd be totally on board with Foster or Adams at 5 if JRob thinks they're BPA, i dont think you have to use a top 5 pick on a LB or S to have a great defense. If these guys are a generational talent or would be top 3 at their position in the NFL then by all means. Otherwise, may want to use it on a more rare position like a no. 1 WR or a pass rusher. 

2 hours ago, tgo said:

One thing that people need to keep in mind is that this is a deep defensive draft and moreover, it's particularly deep in positions that are easier to find quality starters at later in the draft (LB, S). This, coupled with where the depth lies in FA, could play into which positions are drafted early IF player grades are close.

E.g., if Reuben Foster (or Adams or whoever) has a 9.6 grade and Mike Williams has a 9.5 grade, Williams could be the pick since the draft and FA are weak at the WR position. 

However, if Foster (or whoever) has a 9.6 grade and Williams/Barnett have a 9.0 grade, knowing JRob and co., they'd go with the clear cut BPA regardless of other factors. 

While I'd be totally on board with Foster or Adams at 5 if JRob thinks they're BPA, i dont think you have to use a top 5 pick on a LB or S to have a great defense. If these guys are a generational talent or would be top 3 at their position in the NFL then by all means. Otherwise, may want to use it on a more rare position like a no. 1 WR or a pass rusher. 

This is what I've been saying

I wouldn't base it on "what's been working in the NFL." Don't do stuff just because someone else did it and had success. We should add players whose presence on the team will generate the largest increase in team performance.

That said, we will obviously be adding defensive players because our defense was bad. The DVOA ranking at end of season for offense was 9th and defense 24th.

The offense was mostly quite good other than WR, which they clearly think was partially due to poor coaching. They need to upgrade the roster there too though. Matthews is good. Unless Sharpe improves he just isn't good enough to be getting that many snaps. Douglas also doesn't deserve much playing time and should be replaced. McBride seems like nothing more than a fringe roster player.

I doubt they draft one high unless they think he's ready to step in day one a la Jack Conklin. FA seems more likely to me, but we'll see how much they like the draft prospects. Maybe one blows them away.

30 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Seriously Mike?  You arrive at conclusions based on the success of one team and one draft.  Never mind they have Julio Jones and a number of other things we do not have.  

I'm talking about doing his homework for this draft.

Yes he knocked the last one out of the park.

Just hoping things continue to go well.

If we load up on defense in the draft that side of the ball could be as good as our offense.

4 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I wouldn't base it on "what's been working in the NFL." Don't do stuff just because someone else did it and had success. We should add players whose presence on the team will generate the largest increase in team performance.

That said, we will obviously be adding defensive players because our defense was bad. The DVOA ranking at end of season for offense was 9th and defense 24th.

The offense was mostly quite good other than WR, which they clearly think was partially due to poor coaching. They need to upgrade the roster there too though. Matthews is good. Unless Sharpe improves he just isn't good enough to be getting that many snaps. Douglas also doesn't deserve much playing time and should be replaced. McBride seems like nothing more than a fringe roster player.

I doubt they draft one high unless they think he's ready to step in day one a la Jack Conklin. FA seems more likely to me, but we'll see how much they like the draft prospects. Maybe one blows them away.

Agree 100% defense,defense and more defense. Other than a really good WR they need to go defense.

Archived