Welcome to Titans Report

We noticed that you are viewing as a guest. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! Best of all, members never see ads on the forum! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jonboy

J-Rob's Free Agency Will Keep Us Guessing for the Draft

97 posts in this topic

There are still many holes left to be filled on the roster even after filling plenty last offseason. The D is still chock full of positions in need of an immediate upgrade along with mostly just WR and TE on offense.

The draft isn't likely to be affected by some mid range signings. Sure, if they sign Eric Berry JRob isn't going to draft a safety early. Or if they added an expensive WR like Alshon Jeffrey then you can probably write off a round 1 WR. But otherwise I don't think free agency has a huge impact on the draft. 

And the fact is, I don't think a lot of huge names we really want to add are going to be FAs this year. The secondary is the only place I can foresee them adding a super expensive UFA. But hell, even if they sign 1 top CB, they could still draft a 2nd to start right away. 

Edited by Starkiller

I think the first player we go after is Poe. It was obvious Jrob wanted to sign Harrison last year. Poe is better and will command a double team allowing the rest of the line to be single blocked. Another guy I think he'll target is Robert Woods he's fast with good hands. and hopefully we can sign one to two CBs, that guy from Houston and maybe Logan Ryan. Poe would be a huge signing so I would be shocked if we did. I don't expect us to spend alless of our cap . 

AvgJoe and Cam. like this

5 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

lol @Jonboy seems you need some actual news and not speculation as much as I do, I just did a post about how JRob can alter the top of the draft through a simple declaration pick 5 is up for sale.

Sadly we are over a month away from any real news...

efus50 likes this

Just now, Starkiller said:

Sadly we are over a month away from any real news...

almost two months, everyone here will have gone crazy by then

Justafan likes this

2 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

almost two months, everyone here will have gone crazy by then

Well... some potential free agents will re-sign or get tagged before free agency begins. 

And I'm pretty sure some people have already gone crazy around here...

Edited by Starkiller
prometheus and TeamRobinson like this

4 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Long story short...don't be surprised if FA comes and goes with us still not having a good indication of which position they'll target in the draft. I think it's almost a guarantee that we sign at least one guy at each of those positions in FA, maybe even 2 in the case of LB and CB. J-Rob will definitely have us in a spot where we can take just about anyone once the draft rolls around.

What I would expect is one or two free agents(trade) of note that we know are going to be relied on to start. A quality starting CB/Safety etc.... Possibly a WR who could be a factor in the 3 WR sets.

They usually like to fill out the roster so that come draft time they don't have to absolutely draft a certain position, they have the flexibility to draft the best player at a position of various needs.

The 5th pick for sure is not going to be based on need but more the best player who fits their system.

Justafan and AvgJoe like this

Agreed. Some people seem to think JRob is going to use the entire cap for some reason. I doubt he signs more than one "big name" player if that at all.

The better news is hopefully he keeps on making the correct decisions.  If he does it again we will be in fat city

smokeater likes this

12 minutes ago, TeamRamrod27 said:

Agreed. Some people seem to think JRob is going to use the entire cap for some reason. I doubt he signs more than one "big name" player if that at all.

I agree with this. He isn't going to splurge. I can see him making a good number of moves but I see him as a guy who wants fair or bargain deals. I don't see him as "I have to get this guy, so let's throw big money at him".

However, I think he might want to take that approach on at least one player and that being a CB. We need at least 2 solid CBs and even if we drafted one in the first round, you can't be totally comfortable thinking you can rely on a rookie throughout an entire year.

So if Bouye, Gilmore, or Johnson are available in FA, I would like to see him be willing to give a little more than what he feels is fair. 

Now if we don't sign a CB in FA, people who want OJ Howard at 18 can kiss them hopes goodbye. 

Edited by JakePA_Titan
Dmeade- likes this

Jrob can sign a bunch of mid tier guys but I want that one veteran CB splurge. A top corner who fits our system. If we get that in FA I'll be content.

efus50, JakePA_Titan and MIKE75 like this

What we know is JRob did not spend big bucks on FAs but rather used some restraint and got top value.  We actually had a few that were critical of the Murray trade which was a blockbuster deal and one of the best aquisitions in the entire NFL.  We needed an upgrade at C and a seasoned vet to call the assignments and signed Jones.  Matthews was a seemingly non effective signing early but ended up being a legit player for us and our best WR. 

So, three starters and not a bunch of money and clear upgrades at their positions. 

So now look at where we are now and our needs.  To guess I'd say we find a S and CB to sign that are 1.  decent value and  2.  legit upgrades and starters.  Just those two FA signings is all we need.  The rest is depth.  Maybe sign a decent WR if one is available to help replace Wright and Douglas.

Then in the draft we can take CB, S, TE,  ILB, DL or whatever.   Remember, we traded for Murray but went ahead and used a 2nd on Henry.  If a guy is a real good player JRob can double up.  We could sign a WR and take a WR in the draft.  Almost anything can happen.  All we know for sure if JRob will try to fill a few holes in FA and probably do it without emptying the bank. 

3 minutes ago, Dmeade- said:

Jrob can sign a bunch of mid tier guys but I want that one veteran CB splurge. A top corner who fits our system. If we get that in FA I'll be content.

Now with all that said above I'm not saying JRob won't spend some money and I agree one top CB is worth the investment.  After all if we let McCourty walk ($6 mil) and consider todays market value we might spend $10 mil / yr on a young CB like AJ Bouye or more.  Money well spent if we can get him.  Only 25 and to get a similar player we wld have to use our #18 pick. 

JakePA_Titan, Dmeade- and AvgJoe like this

Yes, JRob was successful with his "Dumpster Diving" (it's ok to say it)...What I'm interested in is did he restrain himself because of lack of knowledge of details of team, restricted by owners in a sense, just best way to handle things, or some other reason...This off season we get a better look at his methods and sort of have a feel that with  him anything goes...As exciting as last years off season was I have a feeling this is really going to be a fun ride...

The draft is going to be so exciting this year---buckle up!!!

@thor I think he restrained himself because that is how successful GMs are successful.  In fact in hindsight he got the best C, WR and RB available didn't he?

Maybe, maybe we could have spent for a guy like Weddle?   $26 mil over 4 years.  We were not in great need of pass rushers and already had two decent ones with sizable contracts already.  Our DL wasn't in drastic need so was it worth giving Harrison $9 mil a year?  Shaun Smith and J. Jenkins topped the CB list.  In hindsight either would have been better than Cox or McCourty. 

Also, teams normally don't want to add more than about 3 fairly high priced guys in FA in year because if you sign 5 or 6 guys they end up having their contracts run out at the same time.  So just having space doesn't mean you spend it all without regard for what might happen in 3 or 4 years.

Here is the list.  You pick who we should sign.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-2017-free-agency-tracker/

Let us know your thoughts.