Welcome to Titans Report

We noticed that you are viewing as a guest. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! Best of all, members never see ads on the forum! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

B

Raiders fire their OC (Musgrave)

23 posts in this topic

Interesting that after a 12-4 season and Derek Carr improving under his watch, the Raiders will not renew Bill Musgrave's contract.

I wonder why? They retain their DC with the 26th ranked defense, but let the OC with the 6th ranked offense go?

That's surprising. Maybe he and Del Rio don't see eye to eye.

They were going to lose QB coach Todd Downing to other teams and Musgrave's contract is up. Basically they just liked Downing so much that they had to let Musgrave go in order to keep Downing. 

Del Rio also wants to see more creativity and better utilization of offensive personnel. 

Edited by tgo

3 minutes ago, tgo said:

They were going to lose QB coach Todd Downing to other teams and Musgrave's contract is up. Basically they just liked Downing so much that they had to let Musgrave go in order to keep Downing. 

Del Rio also wants to see more creativity and better utilization of offensive personnel. 

seems a growing theme around the NFL, moving on from more senior assistants in order to hold onto the young star proteges.

OhNoMularkey likes this

8 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Cuz he doesn't get Cooper involved enough. 

Cooper had 83 catches and Crabtree had 89.

originaloiler likes this

5 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

seems a growing theme around the NFL, moving on from more senior assistants in order to hold onto the young star proteges.

Well some places

10 hours ago, Btowner said:

Cooper had 83 catches and Crabtree had 89.

Yea, but 22 of the those came in two games. So he averaged 4 catches per game in the other 14. Imo a first round pick with his talent should be more involved.

The overall numbers can mask things like him going 2 quarters without a target. They forget about him throughout games far too often. He's their first or second best playmaker. That can't happen.

And I doubt this alone is why Jack let him go but I've watched games before where they've struggled to move the ball and would say to myself, "wow, they haven't thrown it to Cooper once the past three or four drives". That shouldn't be happening.

patsplat, oldschool, Btowner and 1 other like this

9 hours ago, originaloiler said:

Wasn't his fault they were dropping every ball thrown to them

His numbers and catch % is on par with Julio Jones. Only difference is Julio played in only 14 games. 

I think his drops are exaggerated.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.silverandblackpride.com/platform/amp/2017/1/8/14208104/jack-del-rio-outlines-three-key-problem-areas-raiders-must-address-this-offseason

3. Wide receiver

This area is more about the performance of the two starters than anything. First was drops, which had Michael Crabtree ‘lead’ the league.

“I’m not sure what the [drop] numbers are yet. I haven’t looked at the final tally, but I would say that there are more than I’m comfortable with, more than we should have. You can add that to the list of things we’re talking about here, areas that are obvious areas that must improve.”

As for the other starter, it had to do with Amari Cooper’s production waning for a second straight season. After week eight when he set a career high with 173 yards receiving, Cooper didn’t break 80 yards in a game the rest of the way, averaging under 46 yards per game.

And he was quoted in saying this...

Whether it’s, as we evaluate ourselves and go back and look at it, whether it was what they were doing to us or what we weren’t doing to provide those opportunities for him.

And just recently the OC is fired?..Mmhhmmm.

It's stupid to force the ball to one receiver all game when you've got a great overall group. Megatron is a hall of famer but the Lions were better without him this season.

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

It's stupid to force the ball to one receiver all game when you've got a great overall group. Megatron is a hall of famer but the Lions were better without him this season.

That's wasn't about Megatron, it was about changing their offensive scheme last year when they replaced their OC mid season. Their offense was excellent at the end of 2015. 

Not sure the Raiders changing OCs will have the same impact, however. I can only assume their scheme will remain mostly the same. 

Edited by Starkiller
OhNoMularkey likes this

13 hours ago, 8MM said:

Sign him up to replace Robiskie.

They're the same.  Mediocre.