Sign in to follow this  
big2033

High praise for Byard from Dick LeBeau

Soxcat   

Byard certainly has some speed but his range might not be exactly what I would want my FS to have.  He performed better in the more traditional SS role playing closer to the LOS and matching up with the TE.  That doesn't mean he can't interchange some but in the pass happy NFL we probably would benefit having a guy with range like Hooker. 

But with that said Jamal Adams is one of the best defensive players, if not the best in the whole draft and I wouldn't hesitate to take him over Hooker or Foster at #5.  The guy is going to be our Eric Berry and play for a decade.  He is that good. 

big2033   
1 hour ago, wiscotitansfan said:

I still don't get why people are so adamant about this. If you just watched how we used him this year he was clearly our SS from what I could tell, and did nothing to make me feel the need to throw him at a different position simply because it is what people expected come draft day when we called his name.

According to the Titansonline report I pulled the quote from ... he also led the team in tackles twice.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Kevin-Byard-Sets-Sights-on-Pro-Bowl-Year-for-Titans-in-2017/98cbd0ba-2538-4663-807c-d6da90a80891

Byard led or tied for the team lead in tackles twice during his rookie season. He tallied 10 tackles against the Chargers, and he also racked up nine stops against the Packers on a day when he sacked Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Byard said having an offseason to train and get his body right for 2017 should help him even more as he prepares for his second NFL season.

“Obviously when he came in, his ball-hawking skills, you kind of knew about because of the amount of interceptions he had in college,’’ said McCourty, referring to Byard’s 19 career interceptions at MTSU. “But I think what has impressed me is his willingness to be around the ball and his desire to want action. Whenever KB is in there, if there is a blitz he wants to blitz, if it’s man to man he wants to cover whoever is in there at tight end. He always wants to be around the action and wants to be the guy with the pressure on him to go make the play. He wants to be that guy and that is very impressive for a young guy who is still learning and getting acclimated to the NFL.

big2033   
38 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Byard certainly has some speed but his range might not be exactly what I would want my FS to have.  He performed better in the more traditional SS role playing closer to the LOS and matching up with the TE.  That doesn't mean he can't interchange some but in the pass happy NFL we probably would benefit having a guy with range like Hooker. 

But with that said Jamal Adams is one of the best defensive players, if not the best in the whole draft and I wouldn't hesitate to take him over Hooker or Foster at #5.  The guy is going to be our Eric Berry and play for a decade.  He is that good. 

From what I understand doesn't Hooker fit the FS role while Adams is more the SS?

Mythos27   

I see Byard as a FS because his ball skills are kind of wasted in a pure SS role. What's the point of having a ball-hawk play in the box all day? I mean, Byard did show the ability to play near the LOS well but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be patrolling the back end of the secondary. Personally, I've never been a big proponent of drafting box-type safeties early, unless they can smother a TE in coverage. I just don't see it and a a rare skill-set. Now if the guy is a monster against the run and also kidnaps TEs in the pass game, we can talk.

26 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I see Byard as a FS because his ball skills are kind of wasted in a pure SS role. What's the point of having a ball-hawk play in the box all day? I mean, Byard did show the ability to play near the LOS well but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be patrolling the back end of the secondary. Personally, I've never been a big proponent of drafting box-type safeties early, unless they can smother a TE in coverage. I just don't see it and a a rare skill-set. Now if the guy is a monster against the run and also kidnaps TEs in the pass game, we can talk.

^This^, in part, is why we need help at the ILB position.  And then considering Byard's ball skills, is another reason for a SS type like Adams, to get Byard back in centerfield and/or covering TEs over the middle.  He has mad skills as a FS, and could be yet another joker in the DLB defense.

big2033   
34 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Wasn't SS Polamalu a ball hawk who played this role?

And what if you draft another "ball hawk" safety?

Edited by big2033

Mythos27   
11 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

^This^, in part, is why we need help at the ILB position.  And then considering Byard's ball skills, is another reason for a SS type like Adams, to get Byard back in centerfield and/or covering TEs over the middle.  He has mad skills as a FS, and could be yet another joker in the DLB defense.

Yeah. i think we HAD to play Byard at SS because we simply didn't have a guy capable of filling that role. Rashad Johnson wasn't physical enough and Searcy/ Stafford aren't good enough in coverage. Once we draft that guy (cover LB, or SS with coverage skills) we can take advantage of Byard's smarts and natural ball-skills. We didn't see Byard get many picks and pass breaks up because he was rarely in a role where they're easy to come by.

Soxcat   

That just shows how good Byard is to be honest.  A 3rd round guy from MTSU who can play real well at either S position giving us plenty of options. 

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

Adams would give us a guy similar to Eric Berry. 

Mythos27   
34 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Wasn't SS Polamalu a ball hawk who played this role?

And what if you draft another "ball hawk" safety?

Polamalu  was a SS but could have played either SS or FS at an extremely high level thus I wouldn't consider him a "pure SS". To me a pure SS is a guy like Bernard Pollard who is an enforcer in the run game, punishes receivers, but isn't too good in coverage. I don't really value that skill-set. A guy like Calvin Pryor comes to mind. I wouldn't have taken him as high as the Jets did.

You can never have too many ball hawks on a defense but personally I don't think that's the kind of safety we need right now. That said, if we address our need for a guy that can play well in the box and also run with TEs/disrupt underneath passes in coverage ( like a Byron Jones or a Deone Buchannon) before the draft, I wouldn't be opposed to another ball hawk like Hooker.  I just think Byard makes it so we don't NEED a ball hawking safety. 

Mythos27   
6 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

That just shows how good Byard is to be honest.  A 3rd round guy from MTSU who can play real well at either S position giving us plenty of options. 

Adams would give us a guy similar to Eric Berry. 

Haven't watched him yet but if that's the skill-set he's bringing to the party sign me up because it's exactly what we need.

I still see Byard as more of a FS but he gives them the flexibility to play him at SS. He isn't a punishing hitter but in this passing era of the NFL it's probably better to have 2 safeties who can cover and be ball hawks. And he is big and athletic enough to cover a receiving TE in man coverage if they want him to play that role. 

Edited by Starkiller

Bongo59   

Byard and Adams makes covering TE and RB from a weakness to a strength.  I want him over any Defensive player in this draft.  

Soxcat   
16 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

Haven't watched him yet but if that's the skill-set he's bringing to the party sign me up because it's exactly what we need.

At worst he is Landon Collins with better coverage skills. 

reo   

I would think they played him at SS a lot for a few reasons:

1) See how physical he can be in a game - showed he can be very physical and lead the team in tackles a few times.

2) Playing man coverage leads to fewer chances to have communication break downs and it's easier for a rookie to digest the defense

3) Blitzing leads to fewer chances for miscommunication and it's easier for a rookie to digest the defense.

I think playing deep middle more often would probably require him to make more calls and adjustments and it would mean he'd need a more in-depth grasp of what they're doing. Doesn't mean he can't. He actually played deep a good bit but it's very possible they just trusted the more veteran guys more to do those things consistently.

Next year will be his 2nd year in the system and I could easily see them expanding his role.

I was very excited when they drafted Byard and his play has only raised my expectations.