Kendall Wright and the Second Half of the Season

XAEA12

Lost in the Mularkey vs Mariota wars going on here at TR it became easy to become distracted about what we pretty much all agreed at the beginning of the season was the greatest point of weakness on the entire team - the WR corps.

The truth is we can't too harshly judge Mularkey's offense or Mariota until we can get actual WRs on the team instead of Harry "Happy to be Here" Douglas, the ghost of Andre Johnson, and a rookie with average at best athleticism.

But tonight got me thinking about Kendall Wright and the big fuss before the season about Mularkey's comments that were seen as him coercing Wright to return to the field early. I mean, we all knew (outside a select few) that Wright was our most talented WR, but tonight has me wondering what his potential could be moving into the 2nd half of the season.

By no means do I think he will blow up and end the year with 1,000 yards or anywhere close, but as the offense gels over the 2nd half of the season, could Wright be the threat to complement Walker and Murray to turn this 2 dimensional offense 3D?

Knowing this team, maybe not. But we've already defied the odds to this point, and the fact that halfway through the season we are 4-4 and that there is a possibility for greater improvement speaks volumes.

I always thought KW had better chemistry with Mettenberger. If he can develop greater chemistry with Mariota over the course of the second half, who knows where the team could end up?

Here's to looking at the bright side for the first time in a very long time. Even if it is just a quick glimpse. Hopefully 8 games from now I can pull this up and brag on these guys and the way they made the city believe again.

Go Titans.

I think Wright could be worth keeping around for the right price, but we have no idea the price he could get on the open market so resigning him is not a given. Might not be worth it. I'd bet that he's not back.

That said, other than Matthews and Sharpe there are 0 other WRs worth anything on this roster for next year. It's an issue.

5 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I think Wright could be worth keeping around for the right price, but we have no idea the price he could get on the open market so resigning him is not a given. Might not be worth it. I'd bet that he's not back.

That said, other than Matthews and Sharpe there are 0 other WRs worth anything on this roster for next year. It's an issue.

I think it'll take something at least in the neighborhood of what Marvin Jones got. Jones never topped more than 65 catches and 812 yards in any season and still got paid pretty good. Wright does have a 90 catch 1,000 yard season on his resume. If a guy like Sanu who caught 33 catches for 394 yards and 0 TD can get paid the way he did, it'll take at least 7M per to resign Wright. I think there's a pretty decent chance they will resign him. We don't have anyone else who can really play his position and he and Mariota seem to have good chemistry building.

16 minutes ago, socaltitan said:

I think it'll take something at least in the neighborhood of what Marvin Jones got. Jones never topped more than 65 catches and 812 yards in any season and still got paid pretty good. Wright does have a 90 catch 1,000 yard season on his resume. If a guy like Sanu who caught 33 catches for 394 yards and 0 TD can get paid the way he did, it'll take at least 7M per to resign Wright. I think there's a pretty decent chance they will resign him. We don't have anyone else who can really play his position and he and Mariota seem to have good chemistry building.

I agreee. Give Wright a 4 year deal at 7 a year and draft a stud #1 in the first to compliment him. 

A Mike Williams oppposite Matthews would be nice with Wright in the slot. 

Dont rule out Michael Floyd being signed if he hits FA. He's a big guy who stretches the field and is good blocker would be beneficial 

so I say resign Wright and play him in the slot and sign Floyd to put outside opposite Matthews and draft a guy like Mike Williams and we would have the makings of a very good WR corp. 

with Britts turn around I would entertain bringing him back as he looks like a top WR again in LA

Or sign Floyd and retain Wright and spend the first two picks on defense like Foster or Davis at MLB and a CB like Sidney Jones then draft Carrington in 3

alot of options

two WR not getting the buzz they should are Dupree and Dural. Two extremely talented WR in a run oriented offense LSu has. 

They are extremely talented and draft stock suffers due to the Michael thomas effect of sorts at OSU last year

13 minutes ago, Kyle021 said:

OJ Howard or Jake Butt would be just as big additions as Mike Williams 

If I had to bet it would be that we'd take one of the TEs in the first round.

Edited by Titans279

I haven't been the biggest proponent of Wright, but I have changed my mind and say we do need to re-sign him and most likely do so.

Took a look at the free agent WR's next year, and the draft class hasn't impressed me so far.

Matthews, Wright, Sharpe, and Walker is a decent stable of pass catchers. Re-signing Wright gives us a little flexibility in not having to draft a WR early.

It was obvious in preseason they knew they needed Wright back pretty bad. He's got explosion and separation ability like none of the other WRs.

He's not going to line up outside and beat people like a #1 WR but he can be used effectively.

I think they could keep him and upgrade the WR position in the mid rounds and be OK.

When Marcus is on the WRs look much better.

http://video.nfl.com/films/2016/NFL_COM/in-game-highlight/NFLCOM/REG/8/161027_bp_ten_mariota_wright_36_yard_td_647419_5000k.mp4

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

It was obvious in preseason they knew they needed Wright back pretty bad. He's got explosion and separation ability like none of the other WRs.

He's not going to line up outside and beat people like a #1 WR but he can be used effectively.

I think they could keep him and upgrade the WR position in the mid rounds and be OK.

When Marcus is on the WRs look much better.

http://video.nfl.com/films/2016/NFL_COM/in-game-highlight/NFLCOM/REG/8/161027_bp_ten_mariota_wright_36_yard_td_647419_5000k.mp4

I'll say it again, as long as defenses cover him with lbs and safeties he will continue to make plays. What we've seen the last two weeks is crazy.

I would like to keep Wright and still get another outside guy with one of the 4 picks in the first three rounds. 

But if his play continues I think he will demand more money then we are willing to give him because he has been very inconsistent over his first 5 years. He's also had multiple injuries and missed time the past 3 years. 

I would like to keep him but I wouldn't be suprised to see him get a fairly big contract one that Robinson is not willing to match. 

1 minute ago, Jd8 said:

I would like to keep Wright and still get another outside guy with one of the 4 picks in the first three rounds. 

But if his play continues I think he will demand more money then we are willing to give him because he has been very inconsistent over his first 5 years. He's also had multiple injuries and missed time the past 3 years. 

I would like to keep him but I wouldn't be suprised to see him get a fairly big contract one that Robinson is not willing to match. 

I agree with this. He has to show way more against more than busted or mismatched coverage for me to want him resigned.