Team USA at Kabaddi World Cup

chef

In about as "Other Sports" as you can get, India's rapidly growing game of adult tag has an unusual story in the Americans that participated this year.  Really is a pretty fun read.

And with the NFL ratings going south and this this sport absolutely on the rise - who knows?  Maybe one day I'll be watching my grandkids play. 

http://deadspin.com/team-usa-was-the-overwhelmed-newcomer-at-the-kabaddi-wo-1788084093?utm_source=recirculation&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=fridayPM

5 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Obviously knowing nothing about it, it looks like a confusing game/sport.

Not sure why the Americans were tackled when they didn't touch anyone and or didn't step over the red line but it seemed like the American team never attempted a tackle.  Speaking of the first match anyway...

Also it seems like it would be fun to play but not sure it would stick in American as a sport to watch.

Like dodge ball.  Everyone loves to play it but who wants to sit around and watch people play?

Apparently millions.  Gotten really big in places beyond India now. 

I only heard about it when someone hear posted about it last year.  The rules seem pretty funny, but kinda like religion, anything different from what you know and accept seems mostly crazy and stupid.  Like in kabaddi where the guy (no idea what position is called) is trying to touch one of those lines and get back to his side has to do it in one breathe so keeps muttering "kadabbi.... kabaddi..." under his breathe the whole time for the ref to hear.  Right up there with having to dribble to move with the ball, illegal formations and balks.  Or for that matter magic underwear, virgins waiting in heaven or talking burning bushes.

2 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

I meant as far as America. Cricket and Rugby are also big, but not many Americans care to watch.

True, though I imagine down the road 20 years or so once TV/media market penetration into China and India reach much higher percentages we'll see some very different numbers in terms of how many people in the world are watching what.  The NBA has long realized the Chinese market as a next step for them.  Meanwhile the NFL is trying to capture England.  53 million vs nearly 1.4 billion.

Still amazing to think that if you take India and China combined you're almost 40% if the world population.  Add in their ex-pats and overall ethnic influence around the world and it's more than half.  

Archived