Mariota is struggling...why?

ChesterCopperpot1

This is the debate we need to be having. I think most do recognize that he is struggling in this offense, but do any of us know or understand why he is struggling? 

Why when in a HUNH situation, he looks awesome, but the other 58 minutes of the game, he looks bad. 

It's the extreme views (he's not struggling or he's a bust) that cloud the real discussion we should be having. So why is he struggling?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because he's a young 2nd year QB finishing up the 14th game of his career on one of the shittiest teams in the league.

I think the OP is actually a great question by Chester. Took a few pages, but he's finally starting to get some quality responses. So here's my shot at it... Whisenhunt was asking Mariota to run

His wide outs can't get seperation. Even the announcers said it. The secondary is just sitting on their routes. I'm curious on much man to man Oakland was doing. I'm assuming quite a bit. That's what every team is going to do against from here on out. We don't have anyone that scares teams deep.

Just now, Divine said:

His wide outs can't get seperation. Even the announcers said it. The secondary is just sitting on their routes. I'm curious on much man to man Oakland was doing. I'm assuming quite a bit. That's what every team is going to do against from here on out. We don't have anyone that scares teams deep.

Ok. 

So let's trade for a fucking WR

1 minute ago, Divine said:

The defense is sitting on everything because of the offense design. They have to open it up run more 3x1.

Just now, Kyle021 said:

Ok. 

So let's trade for a fucking WR

Trades don't usually happen this time of year. Most likely this will get fixed next off season they via draft and free agency. In the meantime we have to suffer thru a season of nothing but possession receivers that can't get seperation. I'm actually blaming the WR's more then Mariota, I mean if everyone is covered what is the kid going to do? 

Just now, Divine said:

Trades don't usually happen this time of year. Most likely this will get fixed next off season they via draft and free agency. In the meantime we have to suffer thru a season of nothing but possession receivers that can't get seperation. I'm actually blaming the WR's more then Mariota, I mean if everyone is covered what is the kid going to do? 

Idk he needs to figure it the fuck out

Ask yourself why does he look good in the last few minutes of games throwing the ball and hitting guys in tight spaces so nicely? But early on w struggles can't make the same throws and his receivers aren't even running wide open. Last year he had the same problem.

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

The defense is sitting on everything because of the offense design. They have to open it up run more 3x1.

It's funny the only deep shot i think we took off of actual play action was to a 38 yr old Johnson who is not fast...at all (Mariota over threw him...lol arm strength) We just lack speed. Oman was right they were trying to hide Mariota, we need a dez Bryant Aj green type wideout that is deep threat, we tried with hunter and beckham...but those guys would mess up a go route. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Ask yourself why does he look good in the last few minutes of games throwing the ball and hitting guys in tight spaces so nicely? But early on w struggles can't make the same throws and his receivers aren't even running wide open. Last year he had the same problem.

By this time the secondary is tired and our slow ass WR's can actually start getting seperation.