Ten thoughts on the game

code

1. The waiver move to get Kline was apparently a good one. Limited pass rush pressure on MM and one of our best running games in years. For one game, no one missed our former 1st round pick.

2. LeBeau and staff did a helluva job adjusting to the Raider offense. It looked like Perrish Cox was going to give up 20 or 30 completions in the first quarter alone. No idea what we did, but whatever it was, kudos to the staff.

3. Lots of young guys playing and contributing including Dodd, Byard, Conklin, Henry, Sharpe, etc. We need more talent than what we have, but a nice first step on the road back.

4. Hard to understand how MM could be so good on first and last drives of game and so bad everywhere in between. No doubt his receivers aren't getting a lot of separation, but you would think that with the running game kicking all sorts of ass, play action should have produced opportunities. 

5. That said, what you have to like about MM is his ability to shake it off and rebound on the last drive. Maybe it was Lewan mistake that cost us. Maybe that the official was a bit ticky tack on the call on Johnson (he pushed off in that manner for years against us without whistles). Maybe it was the official swallowing his whistle when Douglas was clearly impacted by the defender on final play. Truth is, MMs play throughout game wasn't good enough ... but his fourth quarter play at least gives us hope that he has was it takes.

6. Murray looked like he was blowing hard in the 4th, but 114 yards, a TD, and some big plays in the passing game has him looking like a steal.

7. Really like Sean Spence as the nickel backer. He absolutely shores up our underneath pass coverage.

8. Mariani literally has nothing left. Not that it matters this season, but we have got to find a KR/PR that can threaten to score before next season.

9. Amaro also looks like another nice waiver claim. A good insurance policy against Walker being hurt.

10. I don't love the Mularkey/Robiskie offensive scheme. But much like in the Fisher era, while we are often outplayed, we are able to keep it close and give ourselves a chance to win as we ball control and time of possession our way into 4th quarter opportunities.

I guess that's about it.  My expectations are pretty low so my frustration isn't as great as most of yours. I think its interesting that Jacksonville, Houston and Indy are all looking really weak. 7 wins might be enough to win the division. Sadly for us, we could easily be 3-0 right now with a little better QB play. I'm not off the MM bandwagon as some here apparently are, but I admit that I was expecting more from this season.

2 minutes ago, titantez said:

Just a LITTLE better qb play and we are 3-0....You are correct Sir...

I would dare say Marcus record would be 8-10 as a starter, if he playwd better but it is 4-14...

Shit is getting Funky!

We weren't gonna win the Vikings game.  

I've been bombing Marcus all day but PFF gave the Raiders corners the highest grade I've ever seen, perhaps our WR's are this bad?

I think going forward our best bet is with Walker & Amaro on the field at the same time.

The fact that they batted so many balls coming right over our receivers back, shows how little separation there was. I'm sure at least one of those was Marcus not getting the ball there quick enough and allowing the DB to close whatever tiny gap there was, but I really don't expect a QB to thread a needle literally every single play. Sometimes the WR has to actually make a play on a ball. 

9 minutes ago, Face said:

I've been bombing Marcus all day but PFF gave the Raiders corners the highest grade I've ever seen, perhaps our WR's are this bad?

I think going forward our best bet is with Walker & Amaro on the field at the same time.

I've been saying the WR are bad for a while. Sharpe has been okay, but as a whole, they are pretty awful. 

7 minutes ago, Kirkster said:

My two thoughts are:

1. If Lewan wants to act the tough guy then he should go join the fucking UFC.

2. What happened to Demarco at the end of the 1st half through the second quarter??? Completely  vanished

Stupid penalty but Lewan is the highest rated tackle in the league per PFF. Conklin is third for the record. 

Yep, thats the problem with the WR. Our QB is below average with the deep ball and is further handicapped by the slowest group of WR in the Nfl. The dbs squats on every single route because they aren't in the least bit worried we're going to beat them over the top. 

Pats offense dont go deep ,

what they do is short passes , Get out the ball fast and there wr make a 5 yard play into 20 yards ...

Thats what they do well ,,,move the chains keep them moving get 1st downs ....

..thats what we dont have ..wrs that make 5 yard into 10 -20 yards after catch ...

Thats why many here think Pats O C would do wonders here cause thats what M M 8 does well but we dont have Wr good enough to run that .

47 minutes ago, Face said:

It was like the corners knew the exact routes.

as usual code provides a reasoned, measured response to the game. this team is improving. there are a lot of bright spots and of course some weaknesses. 

the defense did a great job adjusting today. IMO that is one of the keys to success in this league. fisher was a great game planner and we usually came out strong but the other team adjusted and we lost. 

i think the mariota bashers are insane. he's not perfect but he's deadly accurate in the short to intermediate passing game. clearly we need more of a deep threat. regardless, we're not finding anyone better and we need to develop him and build around him. 

we're stilll a few pieces away from being a contender, but we're heading in the right direction. 

4 hours ago, code said:

3. Lots of young guys playing and contributing including Dodd, Byard, Conklin, Henry, Sharpe, etc. We need more talent than what we have, but a nice first step on the road back.

I think we have to just step back and look at the big picture.  This team is considerably better than last year.  It's amazing to have that many promising rookies.  The Titans have been in every game.  The Vikings went into NC and beat the Panthers.  Oakland is a young up and coming team.  Two years ago, they were where we are.  They lost a lot of games by a score.

Just because we got some good additions doesn't mean this team is ready to win.  They have to learn how to win.  Winning a game in the NFL isn't as easy as people think.  Look at the Jags.  They are much further along in the building process than the Titans and they don't even have a win.  They have to go back and see what mistakes really cost them the game.  Learn from them and work on reducing them.

It's a process and the Titans are at the beginning.

AND the Titans scoring average is 14 points per game.  That is just not enough.  They need to start right there and figure out why they can't score.

Archived