Number9

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2016/09/23/temple-tsu-olympics-track/89104850/ In 1960 Temple had become so well known for what he had accomplished at TSU, he was named head coach of the U

I know this will be moved to other sports at the appropriate time.  Ed Temple lived up the street from me when I was little.  Modest two bedroom house in what people now call the hood.  Our next door

Never heard of the guy.

Maybe not for the NFL forum, but Temple is absolutely a legend of American sports.  Wilma Rudolph was basically "The Story" that got the majority of the attention - for good reason - but Temple changed a lot of perceptions about black coaches in sports, and he via TSU very much put Nashville on the international sporting map.  

And I think a lot of people today don't quite have a grasp of how different the north Nashville of Jefferson Street was during it's heyday, with Fisk, Meharry and TSU all contributing. 

1 hour ago, chef said:

Maybe not for the NFL forum, but Temple is absolutely a legend of American sports.  Wilma Rudolph was basically "The Story" that got the majority of the attention - for good reason - but Temple changed a lot of perceptions about black coaches in sports, and he via TSU very much put Nashville on the international sporting map.  

And I think a lot of people today don't quite have a grasp of how different the north Nashville of Jefferson Street was during it's heyday, with Fisk, Meharry and TSU all contributing. 

Not only from a sports and academic perspective but also for its musical contribution's. Fisk Jubilee singers of course and then BB King, Isaac Hayes, Jimi Hendrix, Ray Charles, Little Richard all played regularly on Jefferson St.

14 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

Not only from a sports and academic perspective but also for its musical contribution's. Fisk Jubilee singers of course and then BB King, Isaac Hayes, Jimi Hendrix, Ray Charles, Little Richard all played regularly on Jefferson St.

Way more than sports.  Lots of successful local black-owned businesses.  As social integration moved forward in the late 60's/early 70's, the downside was that many segregated communities ending up actually doing worse in that their internal economies disintegrated in the shift. 

Speaking of Nashville sports from that area and that time period, the Perry Wallace bio Stronger Inside does a solid job of describing life then from inside looking outward.