Nintendo Switch Thread

Jonboy

Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer. On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My hope is that these ridiculous consoles eventually bankrupts the company, thus turning them into a third party free agent.  Their games are good, but it's increasingly hard to digest the stupid desi

I am leaving my job next week and starting a new one in 2 weeks. I haven't had a week off in 2 years since I have always used sick days here and there and not a full vacation. SO EXCITED that my

Just don't get hit. You don't even have to truly dodge them with the L stick and targeting. They're so slow that you just sit still for a second until they wind up for a swing, then move away out of r

Posted Images

I'm torn...

Is it going to be a handheld that can be plugged up to your TV, or is it a home console that can be taken on the go?

If it's a portable home console, then it'd be a lunker to carry around as a handheld.

I think the idea of a shared library is a great idea though.

Nintendo needs to reveal this thing ASAP so all the speculation can end. As it is now, I'm not too terribly excited about it. It just sounds like another crazy Wii-style Nintendo gimmick that they hope will catch fire.

Personally, I think they should release 2 devices that share the same library, rather than one hybrid device that has one library like this seems to be.

With 2 devices you can at least take advantage of the benefits of each. Portability with the handheld and power with the console.

How powerful could a home console be if it also has to be portable? What about the battery life? How inconvenient will it be to carry around a handheld that is powerful enough to play console style games? 

This thing is as boom or bust as it gets.

23 minutes ago, Stranger said:

With 2 devices you can at least take advantage of the benefits of each. Portability with the handheld and power with the console.

How powerful could a home console be if it also has to be portable? What about the battery life? How inconvenient will it be to carry around a handheld that is powerful enough to play console style games

I wish I was torn, I think this is only terrible if true...

That's why I hate this idea. Everything about Zelda is how great it is going to be and how large it is. Just imagine what they would be able to do if they weren't worried about the whole WiiU and now Portable compatibility.

I have a feeling that 2 years from now everyone will be bitching about how limited the system has to be to incorporate portability as obviously a large priority. If you are playing a game like Zelda or Metroid you wouldn't even want to play on the go. I could see it working well for mario if they follow their typical Mario or DK sized quick levels though.

And as you said, who wants to actually carry around a system that will be too big to truly be on the go. It will be portable in terms of moving it but no way people will just be carrying it around, most use I could see is to and from work but in reality how many adults on public transportation will be playing what will obviously be a nintendo.

So considering this thing has detachable controllers, I can't envision it being Wii U Pro Controllers attached to the sides. It will probably be more like Wii Motes, which if true, really bums be out about the control scheme. I hated those controllers.

Say it with me guys...third-party, Nintendo...third-party, Nintendo...third-party, Nintendo!

In all seriousness, I don't hate the idea. My dream was for them to make a PS4 clone with all the bells and whistles so we could see what their devs could do with more power. Alas, I knew it would never happen. 

The mobile processor signals they aren't competing directly with PS4/Xbox1. Instead, they're competing against phones and tablets...which is a monumental task. The biggest positive from this is now their mobile and home console devs are one in the same, so they won't have to split resources across two platforms. So even without third-party support, this thing should have a steady stream of Nintendo games. 

Still need more info too. If they market it appropriately and it hits at the right price point, I could see it being a success. It's going to be a challenge though. Seeing the controllers should be interesting. I have a hard time seeing a comfortable, yet also well-built controller that can attach and detach like the article describes. Could come across as feeling very cheap. Anyway, hopefully we get a full reveal soon.

2 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Say it with me guys...third-party, Nintendo...third-party, Nintendo...third-party, Nintendo!

In all seriousness, I don't hate the idea. My dream was for them to make a PS4 clone with all the bells and whistles so we could see what their devs could do with more power. Alas, I knew it would never happen. 

The mobile processor signals they aren't competing directly with PS4/Xbox1. Instead, they're competing against phones and tablets...which is a monumental task. The biggest positive from this is now their mobile and home console devs are one in the same, so they won't have to split resources across two platforms. So even without third-party support, this thing should have a steady stream of Nintendo games. 

Still need more info too. If they market it appropriately and it hits at the right price point, I could see it being a success. It's going to be a challenge though. Seeing the controllers should be interesting. I have a hard time seeing a comfortable, yet also well-built controller that can attach and detach like the article describes. Could come across as feeling very cheap. Anyway, hopefully we get a full reveal soon.

I would've liked to have seen that myself, but Nintendo has had the more powerful console before (i.e. Gamecube, N64) and still came up in last. I know the more traditional gamers/hardcore Nintendo fans don't like it, but this is a direction I think they have to go b/c they can't compete directly with Sony and Microsoft. So they have to go the cheaper/more accessible route. We'll see. 

6 minutes ago, patsplat said:

The Wii U tablet controller is great

As an entire console though?

11 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

The biggest positive from this is now their mobile and home console devs are one in the same, so they won't have to split resources across two platforms. 

Doubtful. They may allocate more resources towards the NX but I don't see a way where they solve any problem by making the NX feel mobile. It's probably not actually anything related but may just use bluetooth capabilities to do something unique.

2 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

As an entire console though?

It's nice to be able to play without a TV.  Am generally moving towards a house with portable little screens, and just one big TV

Called it!

Okay, it's just a single Nintendo console, a company known for handheld to begin with. The key here is it will connect to TVs - a small step but a step regardless.

The trouble with the box-under-the-tv concept is it dominates the house. I just can't play certain games when my son is up.  Other games drive my wife away.

Whereas with the Wii U, I could play Bayonetta 2 sitting next to my wife on Facebook while my son played with his toys.  The only thing that sucked was you had to be pretty close to the Wii.

A beefed up tablet that was self contained would be great.

I won't complain if handhelds become powerful enough to match home consoles, but handhelds are on the way out due to most peoples short attention spans and already having a dedicated device to play short burst games on - their phone.

Consider that the Nintendo DS sold 154M units over its lifetime. The 3DS is currently around 60M; a difference of 94M, and it's sales have all but dried up at this point. The PSP sold 82M lifetime, whereas the Vita has only sold 13M and Sony has all but confirmed they're done with handhelds.

The thing about the NX is that we know that the new Zelda game, Breath of the Wild will also be releasing on it. So the NX, if it is in fact a handheld, won't be a traditional handheld gaming device, because why would Nintendo release a game on their shiny new system that doesn't look or perform as well as does the Wii U version? This is why I am curious if the NX is a handheld that plugs up to your TV or if it's a portable home console instead, with the latter more likely IMO.

But with that brings a whole slew of concerns. Being a portable home console means that it's going to have to make some sacrifices somewhere. Based on speculation from sites like Digital Foundry & Eurogamer, it sounds as though the NX will be just above the Wii U and below the Xbox One in terms of power.

If it's only slightly more powerful than the Wii U and less so than the Xbox One, as well as already sounding like it's going to be a crazy gimmick, then it's almost certain to get little to no 3rd party support.

With it basically being a supped up portable Wii U, it's going to likely be a battery drainer. Based on speculation of it's design, it's going to be cumbersome to lug around, not at all like a 3DS. The benefit of a traditional handheld like the 3DS is it's portability, something this new NX doesn't seem like it will have. I can't imagine most people wanting to carry around a handheld device that is big enough to have 2 detachable controllers on it and bulky enough because of its hardware to play console style games on it.

The next biggest concern is the price. What are they going to price this thing at? If the NX is truly below the Xbox One in terms of power, then it's already going to not look as good graphically, and then you consider that Neo & Scorpio are on the horizon, and the NX will be outdated even further its 1st year on the market. Even worse, with the Neo & Scorpio releasing, the base models for PS4 & Xbox One will go down in price. You can already get an Xbox One in the U.S. brand new for $250. How can Nintendo price the NX at or above that? Who would buy it except for the Nintendo faithful?

With that said, I enjoy Nintendo games, so I will still buy it due to that. But if Nintendo doesn't get this thing just right, they're going to have another Wii U situation on their hands.

Edited by Stranger