Nintendo Switch Thread

Jonboy

Ditto.  I'm happy there's a new Bomberman too (obligatory fuck Konami though)

and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will be awesome, just from the improved battle mode alone.  Xenoblade 2 and the new Square RPG look good as well   

Got the system and BotW preordered from Best Buy.  If folks want one, you'd better get on it.  They're already selling out of preorders everywhere.  

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My hope is that these ridiculous consoles eventually bankrupts the company, thus turning them into a third party free agent.  Their games are good, but it's increasingly hard to digest the stupid desi

I am leaving my job next week and starting a new one in 2 weeks. I haven't had a week off in 2 years since I have always used sick days here and there and not a full vacation. SO EXCITED that my

Just don't get hit. You don't even have to truly dodge them with the L stick and targeting. They're so slow that you just sit still for a second until they wind up for a swing, then move away out of r

Posted Images

I'm still not completely convinced the Switch will get any major 3rd party support. 

Supposedly FIFA is a last gen port and if it is then it's going to be another self fulfilling prophecy again with those kinds of games. 

Last gen port doesn't sell well, 3rd parties don't see enough profit to continue releasing games on the console, the Switch doesn't get major 3rd party games and only sells to Nintendo faithful, therefore no reason to release 3rd party games on it. 

Fortunately with Nintendo combining their handheld and home console into this device, it should alleviate the lack of 3rd party games should they not come. 

2 hours ago, heyitsmeallen said:

How do you guys feel about All of the hidden costs  that come with the switch? It could end up being a pretty expensive gaming experience.

I think their biggest blunder so far with the Switch is moving to paid online gaming. I think they'll end up regretting this. Nintendo doesn't get a lot of 3rd party games as it is, so you're essentially going to be paying to play their 1st party games, such as Mario Kart, Smash Bros. & Splatoon. And they're using Splatoon 2 & Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as a way to convince you into paying for the online service once it goes live in the Fall by releasing them right before. Of course you're not going to not buy the online service since you don't want that copy of Splatoon 2 that you bought for online multiplayer to be for nothing, right? If you want to keep playing it, you'll pay up.

Their incentive for paid online is getting to play an NES or SNES game for ONE month for free. The SNES game will include online play. This is a farce. At least with PS+ and GWG, you keep those games so long as you keep your subscription.

It will really depend on how much they charge for their online service, but I could see this negatively impacting their 1st party online multiplayer games sales though. If they were for certain getting the newest COD's & Battlefields, then I could see them making an argument for it, but they likely won't be, and it's hard to justify paying for online multiplayer for the small handful of Nintendo games that can be played online with that pitiful incentive of renting a game for one month.

I think they might have been riding the wave of positive feedback from the initial reveal a little too long and thought charging for online multiplayer and charging out the ass for accessories would go a little more smoothly than it has. 

With that said, I'm still getting one to play Zelda, Mario & Xenoblade.

1 hour ago, Stranger said:

With that said, I'm still getting one to play Zelda, Mario & Xenoblade.

This, this and this. Nintendo has always been local oriented for me. The only "hidden" cost I care about for the Switch is the IMO unfathomable $70 for the pro controller.

I will take the system on the go every once in a while, but I am still just going to use it primarily in the living room with a roommate/friend or two for certain games.

21 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

This, this and this. Nintendo has always been local oriented for me. The only "hidden" cost I care about for the Switch is the IMO unfathomable $70 for the pro controller.

I will take the system on the go every once in a while, but I am still just going to use it primarily in the living room with a roommate/friend or two for certain games.

I've not even seen a place to preorder one from yet.

If early estimates are accurate - the Switch will ship roughly 2 million units on launch, and judging from the pre-order frenzy will likely sell out.  Those are almost identical to the quantity and sales of the PS4 at launch.   If those numbers hold true, I don't think we'll have to worry about third party support.   Those developers want their games to sell, and a user-base thats trending to rival PS4 and potentially exceed XBox One at launch won't go ignored.   I don't think this will be a Wii situation, where the console was in demand and sold well but the drastically different (weaker) technology didn't allow for comparable quality ports of PS3 and 360 games.   From all appearances, this thing can absolutely compete with base PS4 and XBox One capabilities.   Of course, being a mobile themed system, there is a tradeoff on specs, but that very fact also opens up a whole world of possibility that Sony and Microsoft can't conceivably touch.   Also, third parties won't have to pay Sony their blu-Ray royalties since the Switch will run off cartridges, allowing for potentially more profit in software sold.   

There's absolutely room in the market for the Switch and it's going to offer an outlet for gamers unavaible to PS4 and Xbox One owners.   And though I feel one more A list game out of the gate would have pushed it over the top - the launch lineup is actually really solid.   A day one Zelda game is huge.  Personally, I'm also extremely excited for Bomberman, and I've heard that Arms is absolutely better than the demo made it appear to be.   Mario Kart a month and a half later, then Splatoon after that, and Mario Odyssey towards the end of the year is extremely solid pacing IMO.   Mix in tons of rumors of a Metroid title from Retro Studios in the works and the impending Smash, Pokémon, Xenoblade, and Monster Hunter IPs, and the systems first two years could be huge.   Key word there being "could be."  Nintendo will need to sprinkle in a few first party IPs in the next 24 months that weren't revealed at their demo.  But if they do, and serviceable ports of AAA third party games do make the transition (Skyrim I'm looking at you) - it could be really big

As for their online service - I'm in full on wait and see mode.  I'm not faulting them for charging given that everyone (me included) has wished they'd upgrade their online experience tremendously.   I understand that's not free, even though it will personally suck to pay Sony, MS, and soon to be Nintendo yearly fees - there's absolutely no way to fairly argue they shouldn't charge for a service "more like Sony and MS" when we've been compaigning for that for years.

But I think this thing will be big.  They're no longer competing with themselves on the console vs handheld front.  The same user base will get the 3D Zeldas, Marios, and Pokemon.   Everyone will buy the same Smash Bros and Mario Karts, and even though it no longer applies to me, imagine being younger and in college - being able to take this thing to a buddy's house and play multiplayer games on your own personal screen with no split screen bogging it down.   If they can get quality ports of other shooters/racers (even though Splatoon and MK may be enough on their own) that could be a system seller right there.   Remember LAN parties and how awesome those were back in the day? (Nerd pride haha).  There's going to be a whole new generation experiencing the modernized version of that if several of them own Switches.  I absolutely think this thing will be a social gamers ideal console, and the 16-25 demographic will eat it up.  I also think the over 30 demographic will buy en masse due to the nostalgia factor attached to the IPs, the novelty of the hybrid functionality (being able to game without hogging the TV from the wife/kids) and the expendable income to often afford multiple consoles.  

It could flop and you never can tell with consoles, and Nintendo could absolutely flounder with their online services and never follow through with their third party promises, but I'm holding firm on my prediction from a long time ago that it will be huge.  

Edited by Mercalius

9 hours ago, socaltitan said:

I still expect the third-party support to be miserable

Yes from western no to Japanese. This thing will sell in Japan and Nintendo handhelds always have good support. It won't get Battlefield but will get SMT,Monster Hunter plus Pokemon is a big seller and Dragon Quest.  It will have good Japanese third party support but yeah western I doubt it.

I'm contemplating cancelling it but I just don't know... I really have no interest in the system besides Zelda.

Zelda Day 1 is a huge bonus but will it be worth it to wait till the Holidays when I can get a decent game bundle with Mario or Kart or something. Not really sure Zelda is worth $450 day 1 with the pro controller.

11 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

I'm contemplating cancelling it but I just don't know... I really have no interest in the system besides Zelda.

Zelda Day 1 is a huge bonus but will it be worth it to wait till the Holidays when I can get a decent game bundle with Mario or Kart or something. Not really sure Zelda is worth $450 day 1 with the pro controller.

I'm waiting it out until two things happen: a good Black Friday deal and a Metroid announcement

I play video games, but only casually so I can wait. But while I think the Switch will do better than Wii U (hard not to), I still think it will be a distant third place type machine. If you want third-parties, play it on the other systems imo. Really 99% of the reason to buy a Nintendo system is for Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, etc. Really you just buy a Nintendo system for Nintendo games. I still expect 3rd party support to be terrible. Not getting my hopes up there considering the history and there already a lot of warning signs it'll be very weak again

1 minute ago, wiscotitansfan said:

I've been considering it as well, but I know I'll get one eventually anyway and Nintendo isn't likely to lower the price on it anytime soon unless it's a failure to launch, so I'm just going to hang on to mine.

I'd say the best you'll get in waiting is a bundled game in a few months. If Zelda is the only reason you really want one now though, just get it for the Wii U.

I honestly have really high expectations for it long term but I personally don't see any reason besides Zelda until probably the holidays... If it means anything, I have a triforce tattoo so that may show how much I actually do want to play Zelda though

2 minutes ago, Stranger said:

If Zelda is the only reason you really want one now though, just get it for the Wii U.

I'm going to get a Switch at some point and have no intention to ever get a Wii U, even if I can find one for $100 or so

But yeah, don't see the price dropping anytime soon, the best I can hope for is getting a game bundled in when Mario Kart comes out... otherwise when Odyssey comes out