Mark Sanchez among athletes bilked out of millions by NFLPA-approved financial adviser

OILERMAN

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/mark-sanchez-among-athletes-bilked-out-of-millions-in-scheme-161536161.html

Denver Broncos quarterback Mark Sanchez was among several professional athletes who were reportedly bilked out of more than $30 million in a "Ponzi-like scheme."

The AP reported $15.1 million was taken from Peavy, nearly $7.8 million from Sanchez and nearly $7.6 million from Oswalt. The players said they hired Narayan in part because "he represented himself as a devout Christian involved in charitable causes," the AP reported.

Sounds like the guy was a rogue and forging names/approvals before he was caught. The players weren't aware what he was up to, but not blindly funding him. I hope the best for the athletes, however, if the guy was out of control and his company not insured or covered by a high level accounting firm (lawsuit) those players will be lucky to get 20% back. This, of course, after all the litigation hassle and embarrassing news coverage,... rough.

My guess is these guys greed led them to invest with this guy, they can't be happy with long term market returns.

I also suspect they are claiming their signatures were forged because they are embarrassed they let someone have access to their money like this.

2 hours ago, ctm said:

Another tell:  he represented himself as a CPA

I guess it never occurred to the investors that accounting and finance are completely different fields.  It's amazing how many people think they are the same thing.

The only reason half these players can write a check is because their guy shows them a check and they tell them to scribble here, knowing all of two letters (X and O) only gets you so far in life.

I agree with the sentiment with well educated people but I can guarantee majority of these families only experience with any sort of financial person was H&R Block come June when they started getting tax notices..... I kid, I kid.

It's a shame schools don't require real life finances 101. I was given those classes in high school (even though the only valid thing I learned that I didn't know prior was how to balance a checkbook and write a check)

I'll tell you, one of my favorite shows is American Greed, and ALOT of the scammers portrayed themselves as devout Christians, it's a big part of their scheme. Whether religious or not, I'd always suggest running for the hills if some investment guy is pushing his faith.

its funny because i dont like those players... its sad because they were like 23 and had no idea how to deal with money and thought they were doing the right thing. the best advice they got was probably "find an honest person" and this guy swept in and swindled them. 

The NFLPA should take some blame here. It's their job to do some investigation before endorsing someone like this. I don't blame the players. They are young men who should be concentrating on the game right now. That's why they HAVE financial advisers. Yeah, you should check into your advisers a bit yourself, but if I had an organization like the NFLPA behind me, I'd probably trust them too. As it is, I have to trust that my employers have chosen a good source for my retirement...not that all my retirement is in one place, but you get my point. At some point, we all take a chance on someone else, and any one of us could be cheated for doing so, even if we are relatively careful.

I think the "devout Christian angle" is partly to make the scam artist seem more trust-worthy, but a bigger part of it is to attract people who are more easily duped.

Religious devotees are by nature more willing to trust without evidence. Finding super-wealthy athletes who are more willing to part with millions because a guy is Christian? You're weeding out the financially-savvy (and those with general common sense). All predators know to separate the weak ones from the herd.

Edited by cenj