Lets talk Lakers '16

kyle021

Ok.

You guys killed me last year, and rightfully so. I was horribly wrong thinking Kobe would come back and have a great year, and we would land the top FA, and yeah... We saw how all that ended. Horribly bad, and wrong and IT SUCKED.

So, Kobe is gone. Y'all love to see him go, and I hate it, but I'm glad it's over.

I'm a Laker fan through and through... I know a lot of y'all love Basketball, and would have some good input. I am reading how the cap is increasing big time this year, and Lakers are going to have a ton of free money to spend. A shit ton... I read we could sign 2 max players...

The league also, I mean... The draft lottery ended favorably for the Lakers... We got the 2nd overall pick a second year in a row, and get to land one of the 2 elite prospects in the draft in Simmons/Ingram...

Word is, DeRozan would be coming to LA, but I read last night that it is becoming unlikely and he will most likely stay in the six...

Also read last night that Miami doesn't have the money to resign Whiteside to a max deal, and he is going to test FA and his camp is saying he wants to sign with LA...

With Durant most likely hitting FA to test the waters, and the rumors of him wanting to go to Lakers for the past two years, it's hard not to get excited... He can come to LA and it completely be his team... No sharing with another star, no playing with Kobe, etc... Word is Durants camp have essentially said he will not be going back home.

Idk what is going to happen with Paul George... Idk if he stays in Indiana or he leaves for FA...

Here's how I see things shaking out... I mean... Here's how I hope things shake out...

Option A

- Lakers sign Whiteside

- Lakers sign Eric Gordon and Luol Deng

- Lakers draft Simmons/Ingram

The starting 5 would be Whiteside, Randle, Simmons/Ingram, Gordon, Russell

Option B

- Lakers Sign Hassan Whiteside

- Lakers sign DeMar DeRozan

- Lakers resign Brandon Bass and Lou Williams

- Lakers Draft Ingram/Simmons

Starting 5 would be Whiteside, Randle, Simmons/Ingram, DeRozan, Russell

I honestly don't see Durant coming to LA in the grand scheme of things...

I know Simmons most likely goes #1 and won't get chosen by LA... word is Philly loves him, but Simmons camp is pushing for LA to draft him.

I prefer Brandon Ingram...

Can't go wrong with either of them....

LA is going to have 3 starters that are top 3 picks on the court next year... Randle looked damn good this year for it being his rookie year essentially, and Russell really came into his own toward the end of the year when Byron Scott let him play... DeAngelo Russell was actually looking pretty fucking good at times.

A young trio of Ingram/Randle/Russell plus Jordan Clarkson and a big time defender like Whiteside, and hopefully another SG in FA, and this team could be a 6-8 seed in the playoffs... Doubt they win anything past the first round, but it would be huge improvement and a bright future...

Luke Walton looks to be the real deal as a HC, but lets be honest... Who wouldn't look good coaching GS?

As one of Kobe's biggest fans, I am happy he is gone, because this team is about to reap the benefits of him retired... Players will want to come to LA now that he is out, and he in a weird way helped us get better by helping us net one of the best basketball products in this years draft and last years draft...

I know there is a ton of Laker hate, and Kobe hate around here... That's fine. They definitely suck and Kobe is gone now...

But what do you guys honestly think of LA having a pretty good offseason in the sense that they could land Whiteside who is a terror on the board and defense, one of the two best SF to come out in years, and possibly a few extra guys in FA to complete the team...

They will be young, and will have a few lumps, but I don't see them winning less than 35 games

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The freefall in talent couldn't have happened to a more deserving team

I was hoping after Kobe retired we could sign a better class of free agents.... I guess I was wrong.

Didn't you hear. Starting last year, LA was a contender and able to draw people to the city for more than simply the legacy. Everyone wanted to play FOR Kobe, now everyone wants to play for the L

Dude, you have to write shorter posts.

I'll just go over some of this (well the points I find interesting anyway).

Whiteside will go to the highest bidder and LA has something like the 2nd most cap room.  So that one's a good guess.  Durant isn't signing there this year.  They just don't have enough talent to be a contender yet.  Normally I'd say there's no chance IND trades George but Bird is a fucking idiot.  But they're going to probably give up talent (#2 pick probably) to get him.  It's probably unlikely though.

Deng isn't signing with the Lakers.  He's old and wants a chance to win a ring.  He'll go to a contender.  Gordon shouldn't cost a lot of money.  He'll probably take a one year deal to build his value back up and head into 2017 FA.

PHI is drafting Simmons and I don't know where you came up with his camp his pushing him to LA.  They've said that they're comfortable with the Sixers taking him.  The coach there, Brett Brown, has some connections to Simmons through Australian national basketball team or something like that.

Coaching should definitely improve.

They might go after Barnes from GS, even though he is an RFA.

You're overlooking the fact that this team has been shit on defense for the last few years.  Randle, Clarkson, and Russell are all suspect defenders.  I'm not sold on Randle being anything more than average though.  And Russell has off field issues.

35 might be too optimistic. think late 20's might be the best you can hope for.  

1 hour ago, rns90 said:

Dude, you have to write shorter posts.

I'll just go over some of this (well the points I find interesting anyway).

Whiteside will go to the highest bidder and LA has something like the 2nd most cap room.  So that one's a good guess.  Durant isn't signing there this year.  They just don't have enough talent to be a contender yet.  Normally I'd say there's no chance IND trades George but Bird is a fucking idiot.  But they're going to probably give up talent (#2 pick probably) to get him.  It's probably unlikely though.

Deng isn't signing with the Lakers.  He's old and wants a chance to win a ring.  He'll go to a contender.  Gordon shouldn't cost a lot of money.  He'll probably take a one year deal to build his value back up and head into 2017 FA.

PHI is drafting Simmons and I don't know where you came up with his camp his pushing him to LA.  They've said that they're comfortable with the Sixers taking him.  The coach there, Brett Brown, has some connections to Simmons through Australian national basketball team or something like that.

Coaching should definitely improve.

They might go after Barnes from GS, even though he is an RFA.

You're overlooking the fact that this team has been shit on defense for the last few years.  Randle, Clarkson, and Russell are all suspect defenders.  I'm not sold on Randle being anything more than average though.  And Russell has off field issues.

35 might be too optimistic. think late 20's might be the best you can hope for.  

I read few days ago Simmons wanted badly for LA. Believe I read the same about it last night but you're correct his camp did make a statement saying he was fine with Philly. 

I prefer Ingram as well. 

Durant is a pipe dream. 

Whiteside will most likely be a Laker and he will offer a defensive presence we have missed for long time. 

Russell only off court issue was swagger P that's it. 

I watched a lot of Laker games particularly closer to season end when Scott played him more and Russell was looking really good. There was rumors Scott wasn't playing Russell in the 4th so they would have better lotto chances. 

Youre right about Deng. I was just wondering about that bc he fit the small ball Walton will bring. 

Gordon would be a good fit. 

I wanted to say Barnes as well with the GS connection. 

It looks like Whiteside and DeRozan are the most likely options for LA to get max deal wise and Ingram at 2 which at this point I prefer. I like Ingram more than Simmons. 

Randle reminds me of Zac Randolph in a way. I guess the size thing. 

A young nucleus of Whiteside, Randle, Ingram, DeRozan and Russell as starters would be a good young foundation with Clarkson as 6 man...

they wont be playoff contenders but I see them in the 35-40 win range with that lineup. 

We wont beat the GS Warriors or the Trailblazers or Clippers or Spurs but we would give a good fight and most likely double our wins from last year. 

The only way I predict some kind of playoff is if we get Whiteside and Durant and Ingram lol but that's all contingent on Durant coming. Ingram being the 6th man behind Whiteside, Randle, Durant, Clarkson and Russell would be nasty. 

Idk how much you watched of them but I watched roughly last 20 games and trust me it's not the homer in me... Randle is going to be a stud and so is Russell. I won't go as far to say Superstar by and stretch but they could be "stars" 

Ingram will definitely be a superstar at some point. Dude is a baller. 

The Lakers definitely won't win 35 games next season. You really see them getting enough to double the win total from this season? 

They'll be a better team for sure, but there aren't many teams with less talent and experience than them in the West. 

If the Nuggets or Suns bottom out, I can see LA finishing better than those teams. But Minnesota? New Orleans? Utah? 

Even Sacramento. 

I think some of what you are writing about should give LA fans reason for optimism. But these prospects won't accelerate into the kinds of wins you want to see, and I don't see them getting KD or a free agent that moves the needle that much. 

As a Lakers fan, it's time to take tough medicine. Being mediocre next season won't help them. Being bad might. They won't be good. 

1. Please make your posts shorter.

2. I don't know where you're getting your sources from. I know rumors are fun and it's always nice to get excited about big signing but it seems so many of your stuff is tied to "so so heard from this guys camp that this may happen"

Honestly, I could see Whiteside signing there since you all have a ton of cap space. No way KD goes there at all. Not happening. 

16 hours ago, Kyle021 said:

They will be young, and will have a few lumps, but I don't see them winning less than 35 games

The Lakers have about as much chance of winning 35 games as the Titans have of making the playoffs next season.

36 minutes ago, Oiler FANatic said:

The Lakers have about as much chance of winning 35 games as the Titans have of making the playoffs next season.

Titans have a much, much better chance IMO. A lot harder to make up the talent gap in the NBA. 

1 hour ago, Titansfan920 said:

1. Please make your posts shorter.

2. I don't know where you're getting your sources from. I know rumors are fun and it's always nice to get excited about big signing but it seems so many of your stuff is tied to "so so heard from this guys camp that this may happen"

Honestly, I could see Whiteside signing there since you all have a ton of cap space. No way KD goes there at all. Not happening. 

Nba rumor mill

i don't see Durant coming here. As a fan I want it, as a realist I know it won't happen. He prolly stays out or if he does leave its for SA.  

My buddy seems to think Paul George will come to LA. 

As for 35 games I think it's possible with Whiteside and Ingram plus a shooting guard like Bledsoe to rotate with Clarkson...

Larry Nance Jr looks like a solid bench player. I want them to bring back Bass and Lou Williams. 

The most realistic offseason would be Whiteside, Ingram, and a guy like Gordon and another solid SF to rotate with Ingram...

They could definitely win 35 games. No more then that. Probably 30-35. 

Now if they get DeRozan, Whiteside and Ingram to go with Russell and Randle... I don't see how you can honestly tell me they won't get near 35 wins... 

Thats just being stupid. Bringing in a superstar C and a star SG to go with an up and coming star at F and PG and drafting a potential mega star in Ingram... Really?

Luke Walton being the guy commanding the ship whose incredibly smart and a good HC from a winning pedigree... I don't see how you could say that team wouldn't win 35 games... They would have extremely hard time getting to the playoffs in the west and if they did, would certainly be a one and done, but would be monumental improvement...

replacing Nick Young with Brandon Ingram and a washed up injured Kobe with a DeRozan and bringing in a star at C... How could you honestly say that squad wouldn't have a shot at 35 wins?

29 minutes ago, Kyle021 said:

Now if they get DeRozan, Whiteside and Ingram to go with Russell and Randle... I don't see how you can honestly tell me they won't get near 35 wins... 

Thats just being stupid. Bringing in a superstar C and a star SG to go with an up and coming star at F and PG and drafting a potential mega star in Ingram... Really?

Luke Walton being the guy commanding the ship whose incredibly smart and a good HC from a winning pedigree... I don't see how you could say that team wouldn't win 35 games... They would have extremely hard time getting to the playoffs in the west and if they did, would certainly be a one and done, but would be monumental improvement...

replacing Nick Young with Brandon Ingram and a washed up injured Kobe with a DeRozan and bringing in a star at C... How could you honestly say that squad wouldn't have a shot at 35 wins?

Disagree again.  I don't see star talent with Whiteside or Derozan.  Whiteside also has some red flags.  Good players yes but not "stars."  You're also far higher on Randle than I am.  He needs to develop an outside shot otherwise I just see an average player.

Honestly, the Lakers need to put a better product out there.  Forget the win total for a minute.  They were destroyed in a ton of games last year. 

35 wins is also a stretch because of the Western conference. As previously mentioned, other teams have more talent than they do.  I think they could overtake the Suns though.  Kings always seem to underwhelm as well.

2 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

All the people who say KD not going to LA if ls a sure thing. Where is he going to win? Really think he goes to GSW? Please.

Of course he's not going to Golden State. But he'll go to Boston, Miami, Washington, San Antonio, or Houston before going to LA.

6 hours ago, Titansfan920 said:

Honestly, I could see Whiteside signing there since you all have a ton of cap space.

I doubt they will get anyone that good. More likely guys like Harrison Barnes and Ezeli will follow Walton there and get paid big bucks.

21 minutes ago, Oiler FANatic said:

Of course he's not going to Golden State. But he'll go to Boston, Miami, Washington, San Antonio, or Houston before going to LA.

Exactly.  All those teams have more talent or assets than LA.  Quick name several solid nba players on the Lakers.  Only came up with Clarkson.  LA is bereft of talent.

The Kings aren't trading Cousins either since they have a new arena opening.