USA TODAY Has Titans Near Top In Best Offseason Rankings

MIKE75

3. Tennessee Titans: New GM Jon Robinson traded the draft’s No. 1 pick – a blessing in light of the Laremy Tunsil fiasco that ensued – and wound up with five of the top 64 selections, which were parlayed into potential impact players T Jack Conklin, OLB/DE Kevin Dodd and RB Derrick Henry. Robinson also acquired RB DeMarco Murray for a song during free agency. Could be yet another AFC South club on the fast track to relevance.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/05/03/ranking-nfl-teams-offseason-grades/83833336/

Nice to see the Titans making good news.  The franchise is moving in an upward direction.  They actually tried with the hiring of Wuzzard.  He was the top prospect on the market, anointed by the media.  Tommy was clueless.  What he didn't know was Webster was clueless as well.  They quickly got rid of both.  They did not give up, but made another more calculated move.  Who knows how long the GM search actually took, but they snatched up a gem.  Now when these picks and FAs start to pay off, things will look even better.

21 minutes ago, Alcibiades said:

Winning the offseason is like getting a participation trophy. It might make you feel a bit better, but it's not a real prize.

Especially considering there is no criteria to judge the offseason. No one has played yet. We will only really know if we had a good offseason in 3 years or more.

I have as little use for offseason and draft grades as anyone.

The big takeaway with this offseason is that they've made several moves and decisions that *never* would happened or even considered by ownership/management in years past.  AAS and JR have been very aggressive in getting the ship righted and getting the organization on track.

Whether they will ultimately be successful remains to be seen....but at least they're not sitting on their hands and pretending that a 2-14 team is only one or two moves away from winning.  The entire system was in dire need of a full-scale rebuild...and rather than talking about it, this regime is actually making moves to fix the problems.   I doubt every move will end up working out....but  it's a whole lot better than the "hands off/do nothing" approach we had grown accustomed to seeing.

10 minutes ago, SoylentGreen said:

5 of the top 64 picks and got potentially 3 impact players.  Robinson is really kicking ass?

We sold the farm for a RT. We drafted a 24 y/o 4-3 DE who will be a backup. We drafted a solid NT who is versatile. We drafted a backup RB high in the draft while there were still great players at positions of need. We reached on a safety after a first round talent (Bell) was taken a few picks before. KICK. ASS.

I like the draft and I think Conklin, Johnson, and Byard will all be real good. Dodd will be solid as well. However, we still don't exactly have starting caliber CBs and we passed on Alexander 4 times and Fuller 5 times. We drafted three backups before addressing CBs late in round 5. 

3 hours ago, Alcibiades said:

Winning the offseason is like getting a participation trophy. It might make you feel a bit better, but it's not a real prize.

3 hours ago, MariGOATa said:

Especially considering there is no criteria to judge the offseason. No one has played yet. We will only really know if we had a good offseason in 3 years or more.

Ask yourself this question: would you rather have had Webster running the team this off-season or are you more happy/satisfied/hopeful that JRob was the one running the team?

I like the moves a lot, actually. I like how JRob has operated so far. In fact, I'm one of the few people who is fine with keeping Mularkey around. I just don't care much for offseason rankings. What's critical is Mariota. But I like all the moves we are making to help him, especially at RB and OL.

2 hours ago, nine said:

I have as little use for offseason and draft grades as anyone.

The big takeaway with this offseason is that they've made several moves and decisions that *never* would happened or even considered by ownership/management in years past.  AAS and JR have been very aggressive in getting the ship righted and getting the organization on track.

Whether they will ultimately be successful remains to be seen....but at least they're not sitting on their hands and pretending that a 2-14 team is only one or two moves away from winning.  The entire system was in dire need of a full-scale rebuild...and rather than talking about it, this regime is actually making moves to fix the problems.   I doubt every move will end up working out....but  it's a whole lot better than the "hands off/do nothing" approach we had grown accustomed to seeing.

The biggest difference is in drafting strategy. Having the #1 pick + the Rams being ridiculously desperate for a QB helped aid that strategy, but I hate to think of how Webster would have screwed up having the #1 pick.

24 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Ask yourself this question: would you rather have had Webster running the team this off-season or are you more happy/satisfied/hopeful that JRob was the one running the team?

There are ferrets that could pick better than Webster.

LMAO yep those ferrets are more clever.

We also learned an important painful lesson the last four or five years and that is a GM is as critical or some may say even more important than the head coach position.   Why?

Because a good GM will get you the players you need to get to where you need to go as a team. A bad GM will take what was a good team down in a hurry as we saw with Webster.

Awful. Ayers,Locker,Blidi Wreh Wilson,Zaviar Gooden,Bishop Sankey,Zach Brown,Mike Martin,Jerimah Poutasi,Chance Warmack,Justin Hunter,etc. all those were first,second and third round picks all were either busts or close.

JRob has done more here in one offseason than Webster did in five years.

I always felt like for a team to have sustained success you need the following

1) Franchise QB

2) Great GM

3) Great coordinators and assistant coaches

4) A HC who is good at managing the team, and preparing the team for gamedays

5) A great training staff... Ranging from dieting, weights/conditioning, injury prevention, and medical team with vast knowledge and wide array of expertise.

The rest falls into place.

Archived