Mularkey: Dexter McCluster Will Have Role With Titans

MIKE75

With the arrival of DeMarco Murray and Derrick Henry and with the term “exotic smashmouth” now being associated with the Titans, the question is whether McCluster still fits.

Coach Mike Mularkey answered that with a definite yes.

“This history of what I like to do and the guys that I’ve been around is that this is a balanced offense. This is not we’re gonna run it more than we’re gonna pass it or pass it (more than run it). We’re gonna find as much balance as we can, and we’re gonna try and keep people off balance with personnel groupings. Dexter is another threat,” Mularkey said

Rest here......

http://titaninsider.com/mularkey-dexter-mccluster-will-role-titans/

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cobb and Sankey on the way out. 

Mccluster is a good utility RB. I've never understood the hate he gets around here.

If he's not doing a good job in the return game he's a mediocre overall player

In 2014, Coach Ken Whisenhunt inexplicably ran the 5-7, 175-pound back between the tackles rather than getting him into space. The result was predictable – 131 yards rushing and 197 yards receiving on 26 catches.

This was the kind of thing that was so weird about Whaz.  Why use McCluster like he did?  I don't think any back with his size and skill set has ever been used that way.

49 minutes ago, MIKE75 said:

With the arrival of DeMarco Murray and Derrick Henry and with the term “exotic smashmouth” now being associated with the Titans, the question is whether McCluster still fits.

Coach Mike Mularkey answered that with a definite yes.

“This history of what I like to do and the guys that I’ve been around is that this is a balanced offense. This is not we’re gonna run it more than we’re gonna pass it or pass it (more than run it). We’re gonna find as much balance as we can, and we’re gonna try and keep people off balance with personnel groupings. Dexter is another threat,” Mularkey said

Rest here......

http://titaninsider.com/mularkey-dexter-mccluster-will-role-titans/

So with the personnel groupings, he's going to tell DC's and defenses, a pass is coming?  He sure as hell ain't running, well at least I hope not!

2 minutes ago, Number9 said:

In 2014, Coach Ken Whisenhunt inexplicably ran the 5-7, 175-pound back between the tackles rather than getting him into space. The result was predictable – 131 yards rushing and 197 yards receiving on 26 catches.

This was the kind of thing that was so weird about Whaz.  Why use McCluster like he did?  I don't think any back with his size and skill set has ever been used that way.

I honestly don't think Whisenhunt gave a shit from the first day he got here until the day he was fired. Tommy Smith and Webster were total dumb asses to give that clown so much guaranteed money and status. The guy would still be here if Smith were still running things. And so would Webster.

So yeah, Whiz didn't care and just ran the offense he wanted regardless of the personnel. He knew he was getting paid anyway. That's probably the only reason he even took the job. He was the Albert Haynesworth of coaches. Or maybe a slightly less douche-y version of Lane Kiffin.

28 minutes ago, Kyle021 said:

Cobb and Sankey on the way out. 

At minimum one of them are gone. No way we carry 5 RB's on the roster, and even if you consider McCluster as some sort of hybrid role player, even carrying 4 RB's excluding him would be a bit much.

The question is which one, if not both.

11 minutes ago, nine said:

Mularkey never had any trouble finding a role for 5'6"  Jacquizz Rodgers and making him a productive guy in ATL.

Quizz has been known to run like there were demons chasing him, or had already possessed him.

I've never seen DMC run like that.

Let's not get too exited here.  Mularkey had plenty of opportunity to use Mccluster last year and... he sucked.

I think he's fine as your #3 RB and maybe you have a few package plays where he comes in but the guy isn't a game changer and he's not some threat that opposing teams are going to game plan against.  

I do think it suggests that they aren't really happy with what they saw of Cobb or Sankey.  

3 hours ago, TennesseeTuxedo said:

Cobb never showed me anything that made me believe that he was a NFL RB. Snaky is a 3rd down back, but if McCluster hangs on, and they keep Sankey, it means that a WR or another position is shorted a player.

I can certainly see McCluster being a slot wr.. maybe his role is as the 6th receiver or the 4th back.. meaning we keep 5 wr's , 3RB's , and McCluster…. regardless of what you call him, he probably has a role in certain formations or plays..

3 hours ago, TennesseeTuxedo said:

Cobb never showed me anything that made me believe that he was a NFL RB. Snaky is a 3rd down back, but if McCluster hangs on, and they keep Sankey, it means that a WR or another position is shorted a player.

Most likely a guy like McCain, Blake or Bass or Palmer.