Player Slot Review

charleytolar

5 hours ago, begooode said:

I'm also thinking that there should be a weighting of the miss based on a nonlinear scale -- ie missing on higher picks should be much more punitive than missing on a 6th rounder.

Maybe a mathematical factor to apply to the slot differential. Something like this:

Round 1 -- 2.0

Round 2 -- 1.7

Round 3 -- 1.3

Round 4 -- 1.0

Round 5 --   .8

Round 6 --   .6

Round 7 --   .4

Who are the mathematicians out there?!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread is pure gold!

Missed the whole point.  No one gives a shit about where you slotted versus where they went.  Some of these guys could have gone three rounds earlier or three rounds later based on who was drafting th

What's the point of this thread?  I clicked on it thinking it was about the Titans' draft picks.  Then it turned out to be about someone's shitty mock.

Posted Images

On May 3, 2016 at 5:12 AM, charleytolar said:

Darron Lee, LB                    20                20            0

Vonn Bell, S                         33                 61          +28 (over-drafted)

Jason Spriggs, OT               43                 48           + 5

Leontee Caroo, WR            45                 86           +41

Xavien Howard, CB            51                  38          -13 (under-drafted)

Yanick Ngboue, LB             64                  69          +5

Nick Vannett, TE                 76                  84           +8

Caleb Benenoch, OL          140                148         +8

DJ Reader, DL                      193                166         -27

Keenan Reynolds, RB         222                182         -40

My point is that if you look at your draft.....  

Lee is an ILB.  Not that huge of a need.  

Bell is ok but taking Spriggs, who doesn't really fit our scheme, at 48, is a waste.

Caroo has serious character flags.  Not what they want right now.

Howard would have been gone and i'm personally not that impressed.

Don't need another TE.

Waiting until the 6th to take a DL considering the talent that was on the board.  You took low upside players late.  

Terrible fucking draft.  Who cares where they were drafted.  You did very little to actually help the Titans.  

You said yourself it's all guess work so what does getting within a certain slot of where a player was drafted do for anyone?  If you don't match a player to a team then all you did was guess that a guy might go in a certain round and get lucky.  Fucking stupid.

11 minutes ago, Justafan said:

My point is that if you look at your draft.....  

Terrible fucking draft.  Who cares where they were drafted.  You did very little to actually help the Titans.  

You said yourself it's all guess work so what does getting within a certain slot of where a player was drafted do for anyone?  If you don't match a player to a team then all you did was guess that a guy might go in a certain round and get lucky.  Fucking stupid.

This is my version of the draft that was based on known Titan visits and interviews so the Titans were overlooking these issues that are bottling you up.

Call it terrible if you like, but you have to answer to Jon Robinson. His secretary scheduled the visits.

The idea behind approximate slotting is that it is the truest indicator of where the league valued the player. That is a key way to rate a measure of accuracy of the mocks as an indication of their relationship to reality. It was easy to go ga-ga over the mock that took five First Rounders in the first three rounds but that did not line up with the league appraisal.

While not as dramatic as Tom Brady's fall to the Sixth Round, Anthony Billings the first pick of the mock that everyone crowed about fell to the Fourth Round. That alone made that a terrible mock.

Edited by charleytolar

Just now, charleytolar said:

This is my version of the draft that was based on known Titan visits and interviews so the Titans were overlooking these issues that are bottling you up.

Call it terrible if you like, but you have to answer to Jon Robinson. His secretary scheduled the visits.

The idea behind approximate slotting is that it is an estimate of where the league valued the player. That is a key way to rate a measure of accuracy of the mocks as an indication of their relationship to reality. It was easy to go ga-ga over the mock that took five First Rounders in the first three rounds but that did not line up with the league appraisal.

While not as dramatic as Tom Brady's fall to the Sixth Round, Anthony Billings the first pick of the mock that everyone crowed about fell to the Fourth Round. That alone made that a terrible mock.

I agree that the mock that takes five first rounders in the first three rounds is stupid too.

The approximate slotting idea is even dumber though.  Billings made sense based on what people knew prior to draft day.  It was near impossible to tell, unless your an actual scout, that teams were going to view him as a two down player only.  Again, the whole premise was an excuse to pat yourself on the back. 

Lame.

9 hours ago, titantez said:

Joseph going so high was shocking..

When you look at the smokescreen, over rating of players,to try and influence  teams to buy, it was straight bull shit...

Me and Several posters said that the mock drafts  were way off but Noooo..

We got to come on here and read all this Ramsey , Tunsil, Jack and Smith bullshit...

When we said that Elliot was a top teir early pick, noooo, we got to listen to that, he is running back, jack rabbit bullshit...Some of you need to just shut up and listen when grown folks are talking.

No. Joseph went where he should. 

He was the best pure Safety in the draft and an elite talent. 

46 minutes ago, big2033 said:

LOL the guy posts info to cover his bad mock draft when nobody remembered or gave a shit. Proceeds to shine a bigger light on his bad mock draft so he could be ridiculed. Then wonders why he's being ridiculed.

This forum man ... this forum ... 

No, I posted it to show how my mock outperformed the one most generally regaled around here. You can't argue that Lee went 1-20. You can't argue that we are satisfied with our LB depth when we signed two second- or third-tier free agents to compete.

Not sure why some of you assholes think it is your job to ridicule anyone.... can't you just go with the flow and check your ego somewhere?

6 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

No, I posted it to show how my mock outperformed the one most generally regaled around here. You can't argue that Lee went 1-20. You can't argue that we are satisfied with our LB depth when we signed two second- or third-tier free agents to compete.

Not sure why some of you assholes think it is your job to ridicule anyone.... can't you just go with the flow and check your ego somewhere?

Your mock got nothing right. It was a bad mock. Do a mock of College Player round grades next year if you want a cookie for that.

But you showed us an inaccurate mock to the Titans, told us to ignore the very thing the mock was for then patted yourself on the back for it.

It's not our job to ridicule, people are being honest, which unfortunately equates to ridicule. 

Edited by big2033

56 minutes ago, Justafan said:

I agree that the mock that takes five first rounders in the first three rounds is stupid too.

The approximate slotting idea is even dumber though.  Billings made sense based on what people knew prior to draft day.  It was near impossible to tell, unless your an actual scout, that teams were going to view him as a two down player only.  Again, the whole premise was an excuse to pat yourself on the back. 

Lame.

There was never any "approximate slotting." There was the spot where the player was actually selected and the spot where someone mocked them to be selected. This was a means of allowing us to compare mocks for the value that the league overall seemed to place on the player.

2 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

There was never any "approximate slotting." There was the spot where the player was actually selected and the spot where someone mocked them to be selected. This was a means of allowing us to compare mocks for the value that the league overall seemed to place on the player.

You're the one who said approximate slotting.  JFC.... you can't be this fucking retarded.  What are you, some spawn of satan sent to torture all of us with this bullshit?

What did the board do to deserve this garbage?

3 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Your mock got nothing right. It was a bad mock. Do a mock of College Player round grades next year if you want a cookie for that.

But you showed us an inaccurate mock to the Titans, told us to ignore the very thing the mock was for then patted yourself on the back for it.

It's not our job to ridicule, people are being honest, which unfortunately equates to ridicule. 

Just quite being such an ass. How many mocks get specific picks right? Hazzed says he got two: Conklin and Byard. That is not the real purpose of a mock though in my opinion.

My mock involved a trade down and had an extra pick. The purpose of a mock is not to bet your house or your mangey cat on it but to propose it as a good outcome for the team.

We are outsiders looking in, as you pointed out on the Billings SNAFU.

2 minutes ago, Justafan said:

You're the one who said approximate slotting.  JFC.... you can't be this fucking retarded.  What are you, some spawn of satan sent to torture all of us with this bullshit?

What did the board do to deserve this garbage?

I don't remember where I said that but you should have been smart enough to correct me.

What I was correcting was your referring to these players actual place of selection as slotting.

If you don't want to add to this discussion, why not just leave...

4 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

Just quite being such an ass. How many mocks get specific picks right? Hazzed says he got two: Conklin and Byard. That is not the real purpose of a mock though in my opinion.

My mock involved a trade down and had an extra pick. The purpose of a mock is not to bet your house or your mangey cat on it but to propose it as a good outcome for the team.

We are outsiders looking in, as you pointed out on the Billings SNAFU.

Exactly. But I don't see Hazzed saying ... see ... I got nothing right but he went in the right round. That's downright stupid.

Nobody cared how wrong your mock was before. We still don't care now. We care that you're so delusional that you still want to find a way to get props for it.

It's like wanting credit for scoring on your own team. "It was a nice shot though right? Perfect form and everything!"

Edited by big2033

1 hour ago, charleytolar said:

The idea behind approximate slotting is that it is the truest indicator of where the league valued the player. That is a key way to rate a measure of accuracy of the mocks as an indication of their relationship to reality. It was easy to go ga-ga over the mock that took five First Rounders in the first three rounds but that did not line up with the league appraisal.

Try reading your own post, you know the one I quoted when referring to it.  

1 minute ago, charleytolar said:

I don't remember where I said that but you should have been smart enough to correct me.

What I was correcting was your referring to these players actual place of selection as slotting.

If you don't want to add to this discussion, why not just leave...

I did dumbass.